Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #782 of 1,608
Don't know what it addresses yet.

Latest Firmware Number:1.12/17Y09AEO
As of 1 December 2017

• Import “.m3u/.m3u8” format playlists created in other applications into “Player device”.
  • Adds Enable / Disable setting of "Onkyo DapController" when using Bluetooth*
    *By selecting "Disable", you can conserve battery power when Bluetooth is ON.”
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/dp-s1.html
(but not on the EU site yet...)

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #787 of 1,608
Pioneer 30r too. No idea what's in it.

Exactly the same as the Onkyo one

"December 1, 2017
Software Version: 1.12/17Y09AEP

The update contains the following changes:
1. Import “.m3u/.m3u8” format playlists created in other applications into “Player device”.
2. Adds Enable / Disable setting of "Pioneer DuoRemote" when using Bluetooth*
3. Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.
4. By selecting "Disable", you can conserve battery power when Bluetooth is ON."

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #788 of 1,608
After the fw upgrade, I experience a strong deterioration of sound quality on the 30R.

I have used it with "custom sound" OFF. After the fw upgrade on the same setting the sound became horribly bassy-boomy and the trebles are bad, too - an overly exagerated V-shape!

Only after switching "custom sound" ON and choosing "FLAT" and "Bass Enhancer" OFF, the sound becomes bearable again (and perceived loudness also drops)

One cosmetic change, too - when the music plays, the cover art shows in the background, even if you go to other functions of the DAP

EDIT: further remarks - the sync process slowed down HORRIBLY. 128GB takes over 5 minutes, instead of a few seconds, as before.

My advice is to stay away from this update. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to downgrade back :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #789 of 1,608
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #790 of 1,608
After the fw upgrade, I experience a strong deterioration of sound quality on the 30R.

I have used it with "custom sound" OFF. After the fw upgrade on the same setting the sound became horribly bassy-boomy and the trebles are bad, too - an overly exagerated V-shape!

Only after switching "custom sound" ON and choosing "FLAT" and "Bass Enhancer" OFF, the sound becomes bearable again (and perceived loudness also drops)

One cosmetic change, too - when the music plays, the cover art shows in the background, even if you go to other functions of the DAP

EDIT: further remarks - the sync process slowed down HORRIBLY. 128GB takes over 5 minutes, instead of a few seconds, as before.

My advice is to stay away from this update. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to downgrade back :frowning2:

Thank you for your feedback. Since it appears USB out functionality has not been restored, I'll hold off until it has.

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #791 of 1,608

I haven't had a chance to confirm this on the DP-S1. I quickly ran the update last night, and used my DT-770 to check if the Lock Range Adjustment has been improved so that I can use the most Narrow setting with 24-bit material. Alas, no. The sound did seem slightly fuller than usual, but I haven't listened on the DT-770 in awhile and have been using HD25's with the player.

For what it's worth -- this was always the case, in regards to the perceived loudness dropping when you turn on Custom Sound but leaving everything FLAT and OFF. If the above is true, hopefully this does restore the neutral sound.

This doesn't seem to happen on the DP-S1. Can you tell us which other functions of the DAP in particular makes it show?

This IS the case on the DP-S1 too.

As for downgrading, I found the download link to the previous FW (1.11/17X17AEO) here:
http://download.onkyo.com/DAP0001/DAP0001_EO_111.zip

I haven't yet had a chance to try updating this via the SD card and seeing if it will let me do this even though it's older firmware than what's currently installed.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #792 of 1,608

For what it's worth, Sync still only takes a few seconds when looking doing Sync Added Songs - a Sync All always took a few minutes, mostly depending on the number of files present. After this update a Sync All is forced, perhaps to handle the new playlist functionality or because of some internal database changes.

So far I see this as a stability update rather than anything particularly substantial. I feel for those that were using the USB output capability prior to 1.10, or whenever it disappeared. Luckily (perhaps) I have no external DAC to have used it with before it was pulled.

Edit: Actually the improved Bluetooth functionality with the latest update to the app is also helpful - the app now displays info related to the track being played, and allows better control of the player, although not allowing the selection of content. Screen grab from iPhone attached...

10036534_thumb.png

Attachments

• IMG_3617.PNG
    IMG_3617.PNG
    774.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #793 of 1,608
If you succeed with the downgrade, please let me know how you did it. I tried it, but the option upgrade via SD card was greyed out (as was obviously the wifi option, too)

Oh, the background - whatever you do, the cover art is there (as if the other functions' UI had an alpha transparency and the cover art were the root window.)

PS - I never understood the point of the app. Why would you use your phone instead of the DAP directly? But I guess anyone over 30 would struggle with the concept. :D

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #794 of 1,608
Coming back to the sound characteristics after the fw upgrade of the R30 - I must admit, my judgement was too harsh and based at least partly on other factors.

Namely just before I upgraded the fw, I also replaced the Meddle album (Pink Floyd) MFSL UltraDisc II, UDCD-518 version with the 2011 BR version, which was remastered to be loud. (further research revealed ReplayGain values: MFSL +0,08db vs BR -1,28db, but I think that's not the only difference) Now the first piece I listened to after the upgrade was "One of these days" and the remaster/remix sounded so horrible, that my first thought was that the fw upgrade changed the sound. Now I threw the BR version away and put the MFSL version back - life's good again.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #795 of 1,608
Hello everyone, I´m having a great problem with the DAP. After put some files on internal memory the player get stuck on the sync process and never finish it. The problem is I can do nothing becuase the sync message is up to everything. I had tried to push the power button for a hard resset but everytime I turn on the player the sync message appears again and again. Can anyone give a solution... It is a pioneer xdp-30. dont know what to do. Is it posible to flash the firmware from a PC?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back