Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Oct 27, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #691 of 1,608
like the new firmware, UI smoother than previous firmware.

When I got my DP-S1 in early October, I downloaded the latest firmware which came out in early September. A few days ago, I noticed there was a new firmware update, an unexpected one, since I read to expect an update in December to restore USB out.

The latest firmware does seem to improve the UI speediness. Anybody know what else this was supposed to address?

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #692 of 1,608
I downloaded 10 tracks from 2L, all MQA. They really sound good through my AKR02 (custom version final FI-BA-SS).

Some have commented they find the ESS 9018 DAC bright sounding, but I find the trebles terrific sounding.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #693 of 1,608
When I got my DP-S1 in early October, I downloaded the latest firmware which came out in early September. A few days ago, I noticed there was a new firmware update, an unexpected one, since I read to expect an update in December to restore USB out.

The latest firmware does seem to improve the UI speediness. Anybody know what else this was supposed to address?
See the post directly preceding yours...

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #694 of 1,608
See the post directly preceding yours...

Thank you. One day it will be nice to see TIDAL support for the Japanese models, too. That and USB out and the DP-S1 will be a perfect little player.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #695 of 1,608
Oh, this is great! After the last firmware update, the dp-x1 now sucks the battery dry if you forget to power it down, and won't start up until recharge it, even if you hook it up to a power source or a PC!!! I'm really happy now, I can see this thing flying out the window very soon. This was the last piece of crap I ever bought from this company, time to go back to iBasso...

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #696 of 1,608
You talking about the DP-S1 or the DP-X1? On the DP-S1 click on Settings>Power Management>Auto Power Off. You can tell the player to switch itself off after 10/30/60 mins of non-use...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #697 of 1,608
Oh, this is great! After the last firmware update, the dp-x1 now sucks the battery dry if you forget to power it down, and won't start up until recharge it, even if you hook it up to a power source or a PC!!! I'm really happy now, I can see this thing flying out the window very soon. This was the last piece of crap I ever bought from this company, time to go back to iBasso...
Good luck to u for ibasso lol
My top buying list was dx200.. but that rubbish ui... Lol

After i tested dps1 found out the balanced output sound improvement between usd1000 dap just around 5~10%...

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #698 of 1,608
Good luck to u for ibasso lol
My top buying list was dx200.. but that rubbish ui... Lol

After i tested dps1 found out the balanced output sound improvement between usd1000 dap just around 5~10%...
I agree with the balanced output performance from this player, the only reason I'm still using it. I hate to say it though, the A&K Ak Jr's sound still superior to this one, it offers more layers, depth, and breathtaking wide sound stage. The music from that player is far more engaging, but with the right gear the DP-S1 closes up a lot, and the sound produced is more analytic. The DX90 trumps both, especially with the latest working Rockbox port. I just got tired swapping the battery out from the later every two hours...Anyway, the DP-S1 could be a very potent player, and possibly the best, if they would be willing to fix the problems that plague this device, it shouldn't be that hard!!! Instead, it seems they making it worse with every new firmware release, or at least they ignore the issues that leave many of us frustrated! I'm not sure if this is done on purpose, to force the early adopters to upgrade, well that strategy could backfire, because many of us who gets sick and tired, will trash this thing and look elsewhere. I just hope the God I'll remember to remove the sd-card from it before I'll swing it, won't be long before I will try on this thing how far I can throw...

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #699 of 1,608
I like the DP-S1. Nice size, easy to use, good sound, and good build quality for the price, especially the reduced prices going on right now.

If the rumor is true that a replacement is coming, a DP-S1A, I presume, don’t really know what the improvement will be other than more memory and USB out at the get go.

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #700 of 1,608
You talking about the DP-S1 or the DP-X1? On the DP-S1 click on Settings>Power Management>Auto Power Off. You can tell the player to switch itself off after 10/30/60 mins of non-use...
The DP-S1, I don't own the X1, and based on this experience, I never will either... I checked the settings in Power Management, and the Auto Power Off was set to 30 minutes. It worked before this latest firmware downgrade, and I was always able to use the player with an external power source, if the battery was too low, well, not anymore, thank to this new firmware! Now I have to make sure I power it down, and unplug the headphones, if I want to be able to use it a few hours later. They suck, whoever is involved with their firmware development...

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #701 of 1,608
[QUOTE=" I just hope the God I'll remember to remove the sd-card from it before I'll swing it, won't be long before I will try on this thing how far I can throw...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should do like I do - make a Brother P-touch tape with "remove SD" and stick it on the back of your device :) When you take your cover off there it is reminding you before throw it at something. I usually make a tape like that with my contact info in case I lose it and I'm lucky enough that whoever finds it is honest and contacts me. I've had my Pioneer 30r for about 2 months and I like it a lot. My only con so far is that it hasn't been able to find firmware updates wirelessly. I have to go to Pioneer's site, download the update, put it on my SD card and do it that way. Other than that it surpassed my expectations.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #702 of 1,608
The DP-S1, I don't own the X1, and based on this experience, I never will either... I checked the settings in Power Management, and the Auto Power Off was set to 30 minutes. It worked before this latest firmware downgrade, and I was always able to use the player with an external power source, if the battery was too low, well, not anymore, thank to this new firmware! Now I have to make sure I power it down, and unplug the headphones, if I want to be able to use it a few hours later. They suck, whoever is involved with their firmware development...
I don't see this problem. I just tried the 30 minute setting and it worked fine, although I normally use the 10 minute setting. I can think of a couple of possible causes for what you are seeing... Since one or two others have seen some options not working correctly after an update, I would recommend trying a factory reset (removing SD cards first). This might clear the internal storage, so be prepared for that. It's perfectly possible that the software might not have migrated all settings correctly from the previous version and in a way which then prevents them working (not ideal, but it can happen). A factory reset should take care of that. the other possibility is that you have a hardware fault which is preventing a proper shutdown, but I would think that less likely.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #703 of 1,608
I don't see this problem. I just tried the 30 minute setting and it worked fine, although I normally use the 10 minute setting. I can think of a couple of possible causes for what you are seeing... Since one or two others have seen some options not working correctly after an update, I would recommend trying a factory reset (removing SD cards first). This might clear the internal storage, so be prepared for that. It's perfectly possible that the software might not have migrated all settings correctly from the previous version and in a way which then prevents them working (not ideal, but it can happen). A factory reset should take care of that. the other possibility is that you have a hardware fault which is preventing a proper shutdown, but I would think that less likely.
I tried again to see if I can reproduce the problem, and this time it powered down on a dime, but it functioned as audio component from the 3.5 mm headphone jack "line out", as opposed to the last time, when I used the balanced port with headphones. I guess I have to wait and see. What really angers me is the stupid game they playing, like the first update eliminated the USB support and one of the streaming services (I think I did see Tidal when I first started using the Rubato, but I'm not sure). They would include a bluetooth smartphone app, to be able to control the player with a smartphone, but it only works partially, and takes forever for them to connect. What good does that to anybody?! Sales gimmick obviously. While the disabled USB support and the limited online streaming was not a dealbreaker for me (I don't use any one of those), I found it stupid to see a product downgraded. My only positive observation after this latest firmware is the increased data transfer, now it can transfer an album as fast as the Ak Jr. The sync function is lightning fast, but that was already addressed before this latest firmware. I'd rather support though a company that's working towards improving their products, not downgrading it...

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #704 of 1,608
I tried again to see if I can reproduce the problem, and this time it powered down on a dime, but it functioned as audio component from the 3.5 mm headphone jack "line out", as opposed to the last time, when I used the balanced port with headphones. I guess I have to wait and see. What really angers me is the stupid game they playing, like the first update eliminated the USB support and one of the streaming services (I think I did see Tidal when I first started using the Rubato, but I'm not sure). They would include a bluetooth smartphone app, to be able to control the player with a smartphone, but it only works partially, and takes forever for them to connect. What good does that to anybody?! Sales gimmick obviously. While the disabled USB support and the limited online streaming was not a dealbreaker for me (I don't use any one of those), I found it stupid to see a product downgraded. My only positive observation after this latest firmware is the increased data transfer, now it can transfer an album as fast as the Ak Jr. The sync function is lightning fast, but that was already addressed before this latest firmware. I'd rather support though a company that's working towards improving their products, not downgrading it...

I only see upgrades in the fw update. The bluetooth app works like a charm for me with my aged iphone 6, and pairs instantly. Very handy, I've seen loads of sales gimmicks but this is definitely not one of those. Disabling USB needs some explanation, but it doesn't bother me the least bit, and heard it'll be revived in the next updates. The menu controls are now greatly improved with the latest updates. I'm never a fans of any brands, definitely not Onkyo's, but the Rubato ticks many boxes more than its competition, and it sounds great as long as the sound preference goes well with you. Its a matter of taste but I won't trade my Rubato for the AK Jr (I've owned one before, one of the worst buy made ever and glad they get things right with the AK70 in no time) even if I get paid for the swap.

Regarding your problem, I gotta say:
1. Of all players I've owned, only the Sony WM1 siblings would keep battery alive for DAYS even if you dun switch it off. And when the battery drains ALL players need to recharge before coming back to life, sometimes as long as 15-20 mins before any signs of revival.
2. Only a guess - given your failed attempt to reproduce the "problem" on 3.5, for the instance when your problem did occur, maybe you have just pulled out your 2.5 hearphone without actually stopping the playback first? For basically all players with a balanced output (maybe with the exception of AK), doing that on balanced would NOT automatically stop the playback, even if it does when on 3.5 SE. Even the newer Sony 4.4 output won't stop playing if you just unplug the headphones. That of cos would cos battery to go on draining and will be dead in no time.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #705 of 1,608
I only see upgrades in the fw update. The bluetooth app works like a charm for me with my aged iphone 6, and pairs instantly. Very handy, I've seen loads of sales gimmicks but this is definitely not one of those. Disabling USB needs some explanation, but it doesn't bother me the least bit, and heard it'll be revived in the next updates. The menu controls are now greatly improved with the latest updates. I'm never a fans of any brands, definitely not Onkyo's, but the Rubato ticks many boxes more than its competition, and it sounds great as long as the sound preference goes well with you. Its a matter of taste but I won't trade my Rubato for the AK Jr (I've owned one before, one of the worst buy made ever and glad they get things right with the AK70 in no time) even if I get paid for the swap.

Regarding your problem, I gotta say:
1. Of all players I've owned, only the Sony WM1 siblings would keep battery alive for DAYS even if you dun switch it off. And when the battery drains ALL players need to recharge before coming back to life, sometimes as long as 15-20 mins before any signs of revival.
2. Only a guess - given your failed attempt to reproduce the "problem" on 3.5, for the instance when your problem did occur, maybe you have just pulled out your 2.5 hearphone without actually stopping the playback first? For basically all players with a balanced output (maybe with the exception of AK), doing that on balanced would NOT automatically stop the playback, even if it does when on 3.5 SE. Even the newer Sony 4.4 output won't stop playing if you just unplug the headphones. That of cos would cos battery to go on draining and will be dead in no time.
Thanks for your input, I agree with most of your remarks, and I'm also envious about your luck with the bluetooth remote, lol. I'm using the galaxy s7, not sure where the problem lays, but I don't see that I would be able to adjust anything on either end. When I start the DAP control app, it takes several minutes for it to connect, including times when the phone reawakened. I see an option "library" on the upper left corner, but it is inactive. The app is able to show the player's battery life though, I'm not sure what else they would have to develop, in order to be able to access the library on the phone through the app, shouldn't be too difficult. Besides the AK Jr and iPods, this is the only dedicated DAP I dealt with, without removable battery. The AK Jr came alive as soon as I connected it to a power source, right out of the box with battery drained. I drained the Rubato's battery a few times in the past, and I was always able to get it going with external battery. I often left the headphones plugged in without powering the player down, though most of the time the album I listened finished, or I just pressed the stop button when I didn't finish listening all the way. Who knows, maybe this was a random event, I'll have to see if happens again. (I use the player exclusively from the balanced port, the 3.5mm only serves as line out to a stereo, or in the car's audio).

Regarding the AK Jr, it sucks badly indeed, with the lagging, unresponsive ui, and lack of balanced output. The sound it produces though is one of a kind, at least for my taste! I have the iBasso DX50 as well, which basically sports more-less the same basic components, yet the sound from that one does not approach the Jr's depth and clarity anywhere near! The Jr's sound is why I would rate that player four stars out of five, otherwise it would barely receive two! I'm not exploring the option to look in iRiver's direction for future upgrades for sure, peering down on the price tag of the AK70 not really heart warming, especially at the site of its specs. I'd rather swallow the frog and go for the DP-X1A instead, the double barrel dual Sabre shotgun is more appealing to me, than a single CS4398. I'm not a fan of Cirrus, even after their acquisition of Wolfson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back