Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #436 of 1,608
Yes, Japan. It's a pity. Should be a different firmware...
My version is 1.06/17615AEO. I see the same version is on onkyousa. Does it make sense to try an American version?

I have a XDP-30R from Japan and tried downloading the firmware from Europe which is supposed to have Tidal.
It updated successfully but Tidal was still nowhere to be found.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #437 of 1,608
I'm really enjoying mine. Listening mainly to hires flac and some dsd. It doesn't have the fancy hires screen or UI of the others, but for its size the sound is excellent and the features and specs are without equal in the price range. I havent had balanced out to try yet (still deciding on new head gear). I also haven't finished a decent burn in, as an bad chest and ear infection means I can't enjoy it properly at the moment :frowning2:
I managed to pick one up for 240 euro delivered from amazon Japan when the price dropped a few weeks back and they had an additional 10 percent off. It was a serious bargain.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #438 of 1,608
I'm really enjoying mine. Listening mainly to hires flac and some dsd. It doesn't have the fancy hires screen or UI of the others, but for its size the sound is excellent and the features and specs are without equal in the price range. I havent had balanced out to try yet (still deciding on new head gear). I also haven't finished a decent burn in, as an bad chest and ear infection means I can't enjoy it properly at the moment :frowning2:
I managed to pick one up for 240 euro delivered from amazon Japan when the price dropped a few weeks back and they had an additional 10 percent off. It was a serious bargain.
Cool! you did not get charged high customs fees from Japan ?

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #440 of 1,608
Same here, €239 and free ship, but from tobydeals on Ebay, took 10 days to come from UK to NL, so I guess it's grey import from China/Japan. I see tunein and radiko.jp under ONLINE, so a Japanese version too. The Penon $49 balanced 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable does the job. I told the misses it's "a silver cable forged by elves on a full moon night", and she thought that was a good deal.
Tried to update the Rubio but it would not recognize a 4GB card, and the 256GB one I bought off Ebay is a fake one only going to 7.9GB so that one is on it's way back, haven't even put it in the player.
I updated by wifi to 1.06/17615AE0. Does that means I should have no sound limiter? Can you all please check under certification if your region is mentioned? Mine says DP-S1 Japan.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #441 of 1,608
That's a great price too - I had been tracking on Amazon and managed to get it at the lowest point with the ten percent extra off that then. I felt a lot more comfortable buying from Amazon Japan given the support, guaranteed no issues with customs etc.

Do you find a significant difference between balanced and unbalanced? What headphones or IEM are you using with the Penon cable ?

Mine lists as Japan, which is what I would expect.

Same here, €239 and free ship, but from tobydeals on Ebay, took 10 days to come from UK to NL, so I guess it's grey import from China/Japan. I see tunein and radiko.jp under ONLINE, so a Japanese version too. The Penon $49 balanced 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable does the job. I told the misses it's "a silver cable forged by elves on a full moon night", and she thought that was a good deal.
Tried to update the Rubio but it would not recognize a 4GB card, and the 256GB one I bought off Ebay is a fake one only going to 7.9GB so that one is on it's way back, haven't even put it in the player.
I updated by wifi to 1.06/17615AE0. Does that means I should have no sound limiter? Can you all please check under certification if your region is mentioned? Mine says DP-S1 Japan.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #442 of 1,608
Balanced widens the audio a fair bit for me, instruments are more separated, acg vs balanced gives that even a little more.
I use an Oppo PM-3 as headphones, fat on bass, lacking on highs, but balanced/acg's sound really "opened up" the music. The PM-3 (used with my computer's sound-out) already was an ear-opener for me, discovering instruments/sounds in my music that I missed before. The onkyo player, initially with the standard Oppo cable added to that, so did using the balanced cable/function, and switching to acg.

ps my ears are "old", so I miss highs anyways, but I clearly hear the differences when switching settings. Will never go from balanced/acg again! I am considering buying the Audeze Isine 10 or 20 as an extra, the Oppo's are really annoyingly hot at summer temperatures.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #444 of 1,608
Hi , does the Fiio RM1 remote control compatible with the XDP30R ? Thanks in advance

That works with android-based players DP-X1/X1A, XDP-300R.
it does not work with my DP-S1. So it should not work with the XDP30R.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #446 of 1,608
OK , can it work with other brand Android-based player ? Thanks
I think so. It also works perfectly with my ipod touch. So it needs a fully functional either Android or iOS system.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #449 of 1,608
Question for the Rubato community:

Why can't I see any new transfers added to the storage on this device in the "albums" menu? I have to go to "folders" and find the new music I added, in order to have access to it. Also, I have to rescan the library before any new items are even visible in the "folders" as well, which is very time consuming. Am I missing something?

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #450 of 1,608
Question for the Rubato community:

Why can't I see any new transfers added to the storage on this device in the "albums" menu? I have to go to "folders" and find the new music I added, in order to have access to it. Also, I have to rescan the library before any new items are even visible in the "folders" as well, which is very time consuming. Am I missing something?

This is how it works like many other Chinese non-android DAPs as far as I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back