Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Aug 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #421 of 1,608
I thought those words are laser printed on the screen or whatever. lol. I guess I will just leave the screen protector alone as it is now :face_palm: with the temp overlay "twin dac | 16GB | 2 Slots |" and a little bit of bubble under it. It doesn't look bad either. My DP-S1 case would cover it up anyway...
I thought those words are laser printed on the screen or whatever. lol. I guess I will just leave the screen protector alone as it is now :face_palm: with the temp overlay "twin dac | 16GB | 2 Slots |" and a little bit of bubble under it. It doesn't look bad either. My DP-S1 case would cover it up anyway...
Is there a screen protector film factory installed on this one? I only found one screen protector in the package, and from the texture of the glass, it appears something might be laid over it, but I can't tell for sure.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #423 of 1,608
I have had my little Onkyo for a few weeks now and it's a rather good player, can't wait to try it in balanced mode. One question though, has the MQA update been released yet, as I can't seem to find much info on it, and when playing a MQA file it doesn't show up as it.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #424 of 1,608
Is there a screen protector film factory installed on this one? I only found one screen protector in the package, and from the texture of the glass, it appears something might be laid over it, but I can't tell for sure.

Yes, there is already a factory installed screen protector on it.

I have had my little Onkyo for a few weeks now and it's a rather good player, can't wait to try it in balanced mode. One question though, has the MQA update been released yet, as I can't seem to find much info on it, and when playing a MQA file it doesn't show up as it.

I also do not see any update for MQA formate

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #426 of 1,608
Thanks a lot for doing that, atleast that helps answer a question of mine. I do like the fact that both players are around 120g to 130g. but it would be nice if OTG worked.
From what Ive heard this player does not sound as good as DP-X1 but is pretty good.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #427 of 1,608
Thanks a lot for doing that, atleast that helps answer a question of mine. I do like the fact that both players are around 120g to 130g. but it would be nice if OTG worked.
From what Ive heard this player does not sound as good as DP-X1 but is pretty good.
You're welcome. I've not listened to the DP-X1 - but I am very happy with the DP-S1. I'm using mine with Cambridge Audio SE1 in-ear phones when on the move, and Onkyo H500M when sat at home.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #428 of 1,608
Will tell if there is a significant difference in a couple of days, my dp-s1 is on its way ))
I own the DP-X1A (actually I'm selling it out and tomorrow it should be picked up buy a new owner) , and I had pioneer xdp-300r too.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #429 of 1,608
Will tell if there is a significant difference in a couple of days, my dp-s1 is on its way ))
I own the DP-X1A (actually I'm selling it out and tomorrow it should be picked up buy a new owner) , and I had pioneer xdp-300r too.
did you like the xdp-300r better than the DP-X1 ? Or do you not like Android and wanted a simple player, its a nice apeal with this player :)

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #430 of 1,608
did you like the xdp-300r better than the DP-X1 ? Or do you not like Android and wanted a simple player, its a nice apeal with this player :)
Onkyo X1A sounds to me more neutral and with a little bit better bass details.
Yes, I want to try a more compact device.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #431 of 1,608
Onkyo X1A sounds to me more neutral and with a little bit better bass details.
Yes, I want to try a more compact device.
I can understand that, Im still debating on a Fiio X7II or going for something smaller like

Fiio M3, 40g, 24> hours battery, 96k 24bit max, CS42L51 | Cirrus Logic, supoorts inline
HIFIMAN SuperMini, 70g, 22 hours battery, Balance Output, TF Card : Up to 256GB, DSD
Cowon Plenue D, 94g, 100 hours battery, 1xsd, txt reading, vid ?, 24bit/192kHz, button control, 3.5hours charge time, Limited to 128gb cards, no DSD
Ibasso DX90, 140g, Sabre DAC?
XDP-30R, 15 hours, 120g, Twin sabre, DSD, MQA, 2xSD
Onkyo DP-S1, 130g, 15 hours, MQA,SABRE ,Balanced , headphone/line, Isolated Audio Circuit, Bluetooth® Wireless Streaming Technology Plays to External Receivers (Profile: A2DP/AVRCP, Codec: SBC), 192 kHz/32-bit Upsampling Mode Enhances Lower-resolution Audio Files ,16 GB Internal Memory Expandable to 416 GB with micro SD Cards*3, DSD, * not good for lots of files ?

For best sound quality and small size its obvious the DP-S1 and XDP-30R are a good comprimise yet if one wanted to go smaller some of the other players are very light but at cost of sound quality.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #432 of 1,608
Just got mine.
Very first impressions are positive. How they could make it sounding good in such a small form.
In comparison with DP-X1A: narrower soundstage, less air between instruments, slightly less bass, the same level of details retrieval and resolution. Well done Onkyo!
This is all about the balanced output.

No Tidal pre-installed. Any idea on how to get it?

1.JPG

BTW, the film on the screen is not for the screen protection, right? I should buy a dedicated film/glass to protect the screen,correct?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #433 of 1,608
Just got mine.
Very first impressions are very positive. How they could make it sounding good in such a small form.
In comparison with DP-X1A: narrower soundstage, less air between instruments, slightly less bass, the same level of details retrieval and resolution. Well done Onkyo!
This is all about the balanced output.

No Tidal pre-installed. Any idea on how to get it?

BTW, the film on the screen is not for the screen protection, right? I should buy a dedicated film/glass to protect the screen,correct?

You got it from Japan? I think Japanese units will not have Tidal due to the region restrictions.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #434 of 1,608
You got it from Japan? I think Japanese units will not have Tidal due to the region restrictions.
Yes, Japan. It's a pity. Should be a different firmware...
My version is 1.06/17615AEO. I see the same version is on onkyousa. Does it make sense to try an American version?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back