Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
May 14, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #151 of 1,608
Thanks Howdy
So crazy ! I want to buy a portable DAP but not so portable beacause I need Wifi to use Tidal...My interest in this DAP is close to zero now..
I thought I've found THE perfect DAP for me.. :/

May 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #152 of 1,608
Thanks Howdy
So crazy ! I want to buy a portable DAP but not so portable beacause I need Wifi to use Tidal...My interest in this DAP is close to zero now..
I thought I've found THE perfect DAP for me.. :/

Its wifi connectivity is pretty good and streaming Hifi tracks from Tidal is flawless. But I do understand it would be a million times more handy if it supports download/offline mode fully.

For me most of my music are from my own rips and Hi-res downloads so that doesn't matter much for me, and the occasional Tidal streaming sessions had left me pretty impressed.

ONE rather unexplainable thing I experienced regarding connectivity: BOTH Wifi and bluetooth struggled to get connected/paired during my first try, and I almost thought I got a lemon wireless chip in mine, but miraculously it became all good since my second try.

May 15, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #153 of 1,608
Feeling very dumb again.

Someone please tell me how you get random play/shuffle on the 30R. Stuffed if I can see it as an option anywhere.

I compared the AQ to that from the SONY ZX100 - chalk and cheese difference. The XDP-30R is really good.

May 21, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #154 of 1,608
Brought the xdp-30r. A very great sounding little player and touch screen seems snappy. Although there are some problems with scanning the sd card. Sometimes it would scan but other times after the scan nothing shows up...

May 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #155 of 1,608
Brought the xdp-30r. A very great sounding little player and touch screen seems snappy. Although there are some problems with scanning the sd card. Sometimes it would scan but other times after the scan nothing shows up...

Try to update the firmware if there is any. The initial ones did have some problem but the last 2 updates mine scans fine.

May 24, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #160 of 1,608
Have you tried the xdp-30? How is it compared to the xdp-300 in balanced mode?
No, but I know people who own DP-X1A, DP-X1 and Dp-S1. Basically they sound close but the elder brothers do everything a little bit better: details, separation, soundstage. The difference is not "night and day", so Rubato performs very well in comparison.

May 24, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #161 of 1,608
I see. As I remember the xdp-300 sounding slightly better than my xdp-100 in the normal 3.5 and the the xdp-100 sounds slightly better than the xdp-30 so was wondering how much better the xdp-300 would be on balanced output.

May 24, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #162 of 1,608
I see. As I remember the xdp-300 sounding slightly better than my xdp-100 in the normal 3.5 and the the xdp-100 sounds slightly better than the xdp-30 so was wondering how much better the xdp-300 would be on balanced output.

As far a I understand the little ones significantly scale up going from SE to Balanced. Actually the same happens with the 300R.
Basically in BAL mode you have twice more power, better channel separation thanks to dual mono scheme, wider soundstage, better bass quality. It depends on IEMs for sure if the impact is significant or not.
Take the E70. I can listen to them from BAL output only since they need more power to perfrom.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #163 of 1,608
As far a I understand the little ones significantly scale up going from SE to Balanced. Actually the same happens with the 300R.
Basically in BAL mode you have twice more power, better channel separation thanks to dual mono scheme, wider soundstage, better bass quality. It depends on IEMs for sure if the impact is significant or not.
Take the E70. I can listen to them from BAL output only since they need more power to perfrom.

Yeah. Maybe should have went for the 300 instead...But the 30 is extremely light weight and small and still very good sound quality. Much more convenient.

May 24, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #164 of 1,608
Yeah. Maybe should have went for the 300 instead...But the 30 is extremely light weight and small and still very good sound quality. Much more convenient.

Both the 30 and the Rubato are extremely convenient - lightweight, palm sized while retaining most of the big brothers sonical goodies. My Rubato had become my go-to jacket-pocket DAP for handy short chill outs while I keep my Sony WM1 in my bag for extended listening sessions. Perfection achieved.

May 24, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #165 of 1,608
Both the 30 and the Rubato are extremely convenient - lightweight, palm sized while retaining most of the big brothers sonical goodies. My Rubato had become my go-to jacket-pocket DAP for handy short chill outs while I keep my Sony WM1 in my bag for extended listening sessions. Perfection achieved.
Yeah, only thing wrong is with the scanning issue once that is fixed then it's a good, compact and affordable little gem. It happens only with the 128gb card, but the 64gb has no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back