Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Feb 16, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,516 of 1,608
The underlying challenge is 90% of phone users aren't exactly audiophiles. Sad, I know.
I am sure that's a significant understatement. If you took 100 random phone users in a supermarket (for instance) probably way less than 1% would ever consider having a separate player for music. The simple fact is, for the average consumer, a modern phone already has far better audio capabilities than needed to keep them happy.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,517 of 1,608
I am sure that's a significant understatement. If you took 100 random phone users in a supermarket (for instance) probably way less than 1% would ever consider having a separate player for music. The simple fact is, for the average consumer, a modern phone already has far better audio capabilities than needed to keep them happy.
Yes. I was attempting to remain somewhat optimistic. :confused:

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,518 of 1,608
All good points. When I bought my DP-S1 I was excited to have a very small DAP that had nice sound and from a brand that was going to build out a library of content. Seemed like a great combo. I spoke to the Onkyo reps at CanJam here in Denver back in 2016 and they were excited about it as well. It was nice seeing one of the legacy brands embracing the DAP market aside from Sony.
It’s true that lost people are satisfied with the audio from their phone.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #1,519 of 1,608
Hi all,

Anyone have any information or luck changing regions with the DP-S1.
Its a super player and I love mine. But I did buy it years ago in while in Japan (so TIDAL is not available one it).
Now that I am in another region and want to use TIDAL there is seemingly no way to 'unlock' it.

Anyone have any info or thoughts no this?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,520 of 1,608
Less than 200 hours of use and maybe closer to 100 hours, touchscreen stopped responding. I'm stuck in just 1 folder playing Liaisons Dangereuses' debut album. Using my Galaxy S9+ phone now and I don't think I will ever spend money on another dap.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #1,521 of 1,608
Less than 200 hours of use and maybe closer to 100 hours, touchscreen stopped responding. I'm stuck in just 1 folder playing Liaisons Dangereuses' debut album. Using my Galaxy S9+ phone now and I don't think I will ever spend money on another dap.

I'm really sorry. I had a year with mine - and then one day, poof - stopped working. Couldn't replace the battery either. Replaced mine with a FiiO M11 - which is still going strong almost two years later.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #1,523 of 1,608
Anyone else notice that Tidal is no longer playing MQA for the DP-S1/PDS-10? At least for me, all Masters tracks are now just showing FLAC, without the MQA indicator.

Ideas?

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #1,526 of 1,608
I love my XDP-30R but miss having Spotify, etc. Any newer DAP's out there that sound as good or better with more app options?

thx

bob
Depends on your budget, but ibasso DX160 2020 is a very good option, nice screen, average battery life for an Android dap. Good amplication, 4.4 bal output very neutral.

An other option is to use a dongle for your phone, may be lotoo paw s1 or L&P W2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back