Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #1,504 of 1,608
Nope. There where 3 between that one and
Latest Firmware Number:1.32/18911AEO
As of 20 September 2018

• Minor bug fixes and improvements stability
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/dp-s1.html
I never managed to get that build to install. Looking at the files and the files for the previous builds, I noticed that the file naming is different. All the previous versions used the file name DAP0001_E0.xxx - but the build marked 1.32 uses a filename ONKDAP0002_E0.xxx. The files may be correct or they may be wrong, but I suspect that difference may be why the player does not recognise them. However, there is no guarantee that the contents are correct and to try to use them if they are actually intended for a different hardware might cause problems, or even just brick the device permanently. I find the version 1.30 completely stable and I see no reason to take any risk.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #1,505 of 1,608
I received my used DP-S1 won from Yahoo Auction at $85 after nearly two months slow shipping via Japan Post :)

Everything is in good condition, initial audition with my IER-M9 , satisfy with its clear, detailed soundstage like A&K. Will check out more headgears, and play around with its upsampling, 32-bit settings, etc.

One question on the built-in apps, there are three of them namely, Tune In Radio, Deezer and one Japanese app, but there is no Tidal, any idea what's wrong?

20210112_222101.jpg

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,506 of 1,608
Nothing wrong - Tidal is not available on this (at least on the JP versions)

The upsampling, 32-bit, etc are just gimmicks, one can play with them but don't expect much (anything, really) The only setting (aside from EQ) with an audible difference is the "Lock Range Adjust". Narrower settings sound better, but the CPU cannot keep up with DSD files if it is set to anything narrower than Normal. With flacs you can narrow it without playback issues.

I really like this player - I often listen to it with HD6xx or Denon D5200, both balanced. It can drive more than well enough both pairs of cans, so that I never go above 40/60 volume

PS - if you don't like the marketing stuff in the front, you can peel the film off. I even pelt off the shiny sticker at the bottom, now it's much nicer

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,507 of 1,608
I really like this player - I often listen to it with HD6xx or Denon D5200, both balanced. It can drive more than well enough both pairs of cans, so that I never go above 40/60 volume
Thanks. Well, I will audition with my HD650 and D5200 later. I guess, CA Comet will pair well with this DAP like A&K SE100.

I like its lightweight, portability and not warm for long hour playing.

I will check if my current DAP is latest firmware (1.32?)

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #1,508 of 1,608
1.30 is the latest (and most probably the final) firmware for the Pioneer. The Onkyo sibling went up to 1.32.

For me this player is also ideology - using Linux instead of bloatware Android. I'd like someone to have a go at it to bring out the max from the hardware. There are some really nice firmware hacks out there for some Linux based ibasso players and of course MrWalkman's Sony hacks

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,509 of 1,608
1.30 is the latest (and most probably the final) firmware for the Pioneer. The Onkyo sibling went up to 1.32.

For me this player is also ideology - using Linux instead of bloatware Android. I'd like someone to have a go at it to bring out the max from the hardware. There are some really nice firmware hacks out there for some Linux based ibasso players and of course MrWalkman's Sony hacks
to add on new apps in Linux apps are most welcomed.

But to hack proprietary firmware is not encouraging. That's why my WM1A and 1Z remain the stocked firmware, only region changed.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #1,510 of 1,608
@auronthas - Also see my post above - I am not sure that the update to 1.32 actually gets applied by the player (mine doesn't and another member's player doesn't). 1.30 seems completely fine so would I not not worry too much. And yes, TIDAL was not included (or maybe included but disabled) in the players for the Japanese market. I have it in mine (bought in Hong Kong) but I turn the wi-fi and Bluetooth off for better battery life and play local content only.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,511 of 1,608
@auronthas - Also see my post above - I am not sure that the update to 1.32 actually gets applied by the player (mine doesn't and another member's player doesn't). 1.30 seems completely fine so would I not not worry too much. And yes, TIDAL was not included (or maybe included but disabled) in the players for the Japanese market. I have it in mine (bought in Hong Kong) but I turn the wi-fi and Bluetooth off for better battery life and play local content only.
I read the following firmware history, there's mention Tidal MQA playback, so I thought Tidal is included .
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/dp-s1.html

Smart way to conserve battery when not listening to online music, will do the same.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #1,512 of 1,608
Just to add - the wifi is really weak, even 2-3 meters from the router it might have issues finding the network.

Your link is to the Aus-Oceania site, but your (and mine) players are JP. I am not aware of any tools to change the region (language yes) and add functionality.

What I'm missing from this (and Sony) is the full UTF support - it can display Latin, Cyrillic, CJK but not for example Arabic or Hindi (I like my tags to also show the original form of the artist's name, like Ravi Shankar रवि शंकर)

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,513 of 1,608
Just to add - the wifi is really weak, even 2-3 meters from the router it might have issues finding the network.

Your link is to the Aus-Oceania site, but your (and mine) players are JP. I am not aware of any tools to change the region (language yes) and add functionality.

What I'm missing from this (and Sony) is the full UTF support - it can display Latin, Cyrillic, CJK but not for example Arabic or Hindi (I like my tags to also show the original form of the artist's name, like Ravi Shankar रवि शंकर)
I don't have WIFI issue on DP-S1.

Sorry for confusion, region change and hacking Sony proprietary firmware I am referring WM1A/1Z which I own both.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,515 of 1,608
Why did Onkyo move away from the DAP market? They had some good products and good prices then just jumped ship.
Because it's a niche market. I believe Onkyo would do well if they released another 'audiophile' phone with most current specs as far as Android goes, good battery, and competitively price it against iPhone/LG V series. I would have got the Granbeat but it was quickly outdated based on Android and cellular specs. The underlying challenge is 90% of phone users aren't exactly audiophiles. Sad, I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back