On Ear Headphones with iPhone Remote - recommendations?
Sep 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

beaker1977

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm relatively new to this forum and was hoping I could get advice. Basically, I'm looking to get a replacement set of headphones for my iPhone for commuting to and from work. I'm using some Audio Technica ATH CKS55i in-ears at the moment and although they are quite nice, overall I'd prefer on-ear headphones. 

They'd have to be compact, lightweight, closed-back but durable and preferably with the 3 button apple remote. Some options I've seen include AKG K451 and the Audio Technica ATH WS55i. I've also seen the B&W P3s which is probably a bit out of my budget. Which of the above would be the best option in terms of sound quality? I'm from Ireland which unfortunately is not the best place in the world to try before you buy unless it's a major brand like Bose or Beats... Are there any other options I should be considering? Any feedback would be appreciated.

BTW I'm not interested in circumaural headphones as I personally find they are too bulky for commuting. I know that doesn't stop the legions of Beats fans but it's my own preference to keep things relatively low-key style-wise!

Thanks,

Beaker1977

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 10
I think the Etymotic HF3's may be an option. What is your price range? That will help narrow it down a little.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
I think the Etymotic HF3's may be an option. What is your price range? That will help narrow it down a little.

HF3 is not an on-ear headphone :p

Quote:
Have you considered the vmoda m80? It meets your criteria and gets a lot of recommendations.

I would +1 this recommendation (under certain conditions), but the OP stated that he sees the B&W P3 out of his budget which is actually cheaper than the V-Moda unless you find a large sale.  

IDK how big you consider too big, but the Pioneer STEEZ 808s are right between on-ear and over ear.  I would also recommend the Philips Downtown in this case as well.  Note the downtown only has a single button remote.  

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 10
The V-Moda M80 are absolutely awesome. You could also buy something like a Noontec Zoro and then get a 3 button cable seperately. The cables from most of the Beats headphones as well as the ones from the V-Moda Crossfade LP, LP2, and M80 will work just fine with the Noontec and many other headphones that use the standard connector.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 10
There are some really great suggestions here guys. Thanks! The M80s look amazing and seem very popular on this forum but I am struggling to find them near my budget. Maybe if I am patient and wait for a sale... The Noontecs are new to me and seem very reasonably priced as well. The v-moda remote is cheap to ship from the US too! The Pioneer Steez seems difficult to find for sale in Europe but I'll keep looking. As for the Philips Downtown, it's easy enough to adjust the volume on the iPhone so the one button remote mightn't be a deal breaker... I have some options now. Thanks again guys!

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
There are some really great suggestions here guys. Thanks! The M80s look amazing and seem very popular on this forum but I am struggling to find them near my budget. Maybe if I am patient and wait for a sale... The Noontecs are new to me and seem very reasonably priced as well. The v-moda remote is cheap to ship from the US too! The Pioneer Steez seems difficult to find for sale in Europe but I'll keep looking. As for the Philips Downtown, it's easy enough to adjust the volume on the iPhone so the one button remote mightn't be a deal breaker... I have some options now. Thanks again guys!

In Europe the STEEZE goes under a different name, they actually use the model name since Europe doesn't have the STEEZ branding.  So it's called the SE-MJ751.  Just an FYI type of thing.  

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm also wondering a similar thing myself, although I'm also considering over the ear headphones, although choice there seems to be more difficult.

However, the Sennheiser PX 200 IIi seem to have a reasonable following on here and can be had for around £65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back