OH MY GAWWDDD GRADOS!!
Jul 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #32 of 47
You haven't lived till you try playing Demetori or Setsuna arrangements with Grados. I'm not a huge fan of the games, but the music that Zun produces kicks ass. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #33 of 47

Quote:
Grados are for old people. They sounded GREAT when i had ear wax in my ears.

I disagree. I'm very young. I assume I do have a perfect hearing. I like Grado sound so much.
biggrin.gif
. I think Grados are for energetic and fun-loving people!
biggrin.gif
When I hear Grado sound in the morning, it makes my whole day alive, energetic, and full of fun!
biggrin.gif
I believe Mr. Grado placed an energy bar in every Grado headphone he made.
biggrin.gif
Every Grado headphone has lots lots of energy!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #35 of 47
To each there own.  However, the Grado brightness can easily be tamed with the appropriate amp, especially with tubes.  I agree for the most part trying to drive any Grado straight from a ipod or equivelent may not output ideal results.  Before one dismisses Grado all together, at least try listening to the reference series, depending on the source and music, they are in a different class to the prestige series.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #36 of 47

Quote:
Grados are for old people. They sounded GREAT when i had ear wax in my ears.

I think of Grados as being like a sports car.  Temperamental and somewhat expensive for the good Grados.  Old people buy sports cars because that's when they can afford it.  Old people buy the higher end Grados because that's when they can afford it.  How many young folks are going to buy a $300 or $700 headphone that's a little bit temperamental? 

And the temperamental nature of the Grado sound being similar to the temperamental nature of a sports car is also very true.  They're also an enthusiast headphone where you explore and learn to appreciate their temperamental nature.  They can also be modded in various ways and are a platform to experiment with like doing aftermarket work on a sports car.

The lower end Grados like the SR60 through SR225 are a little different.  Less temperamental.  A little bit easier on the ears.  Still Grado though.

That's my take on Grado sound.  I bought my SR325is as a toy (sports car) to play with not as a primary headphone. 

Jul 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
How many young folks are going to buy a $300 or $700 headphone that's a little bit temperamental? 

Me, being 16 years old. Paid a $100 premium for my HF-2, because they were brand new A-stock. Paid $550usd I think it was. Ended up being $660aud at the time with postage. Ouch!

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #40 of 47

Quote:
mhmm...  i heard. the fact that he tunes the headphones by ear should be a warning for those that are young. honestly, they sound ridiculous to me. maybe ill appreciate it when my hearing starts to go too.  for the mean time, i think using Grados could actually hurt my hearing...

Ummm, some of the best musicians also tune their instruments by ear, so I don't know what you are raving about...

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #41 of 47

Quote:
Ummm, some of the best musicians also tune their instruments by ear, so I don't know what you are raving about...

you generally do not tune an instrument to the sound you prefer. though sometimes i like to do that, that is still not a valid comparison.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #42 of 47

Quote:
I disagree. I'm very young. I assume I do have a perfect hearing. I like Grado sound so much.
biggrin.gif
. I think Grados are for energetic and fun-loving people!
biggrin.gif
When I hear Grado sound in the morning, it makes my whole day alive, energetic, and full of fun!
biggrin.gif
I believe Mr. Grado placed an energy bar in every Grado headphone he made.
biggrin.gif
Every Grado headphone has lots lots of energy!
biggrin.gif

LOL i want THAT feeling

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 47
My RS1s give lots of detail and lots of resolution. Instruments sound more "natural" than lots of cans, too.  I do think acoustic instruments with very detailed recordings are magic. But other stuff, too, and not just "rock" by any means, comes through really natural and detailed. But I am an "old dude" so that explains away my love for these phones.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
you generally do not tune an instrument to the sound you prefer. though sometimes i like to do that, that is still not a valid comparison.

Headphones are made to be heard by human ears, not by computers.  It follows that the thing which will be judging a device (ears) should define the characteristics of said device.

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #45 of 47

Quote:

Headphones are made to be heard by human ears, not by computers.  It follows that the thing which will be judging a device (ears) should define the characteristics of said device.

i agree. =) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back