OH MY GAWWDDD GRADOS!!
Jul 2, 2010 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Trysaeder

1000+ Head-Fier
I've never liked Grados, they just never offered anything that another headphone couldn't do better for me.
I've borrowed a pair of MS1s from my friend, and found them exactly as I remember, strong, upfront, punchy, and most memorably, uncomfortable.
I gave them a thorough listen because I probably would never have a pair in my hands again, and as I was talking through skype, my friend was playing music at a massive 10 kbps through them that I could hear. I recognised half of the piece, and asked him what it was. Touhou - Reach for the Moon, Immortal. I grabbed the MS1 and found it in my foobar.

99% of people don't know what Touhou is. It's a forward scrolling 2d shooter that everyone's played before, except extremely hard, easy mode is more than what most people can handle. Enemies shoot literally hundreds of bullets at you per second, and its soundtrack reflects this perfectly. VERY fast, congested, as if someone found a keyboard and rolled over it and 10 other people saw this and did the same thing.

I put on the MS1 and listened to it. WHOA!!! Nothing has given me so much authority as these phones. It makes this music ALIVE, unrestrained, the flurry of notes bombarded me and I imagine what it would be like to play Touhou (I've never actually played it). The drums were so punchy, while the synthed notes almost overwhelmed me with their power. I went back to my AD700s to compare, they sound like a 3 month dead squirrel inside a deflated tire. WHERE IS THE LIFE? I put the MS1 back and turned the volume UPPP. I listened to its POWUUHHHH!! So amazing....It shows Touhou as what it is meant to be, not the artificial, lifeless, hectic melodies that my AD700 gave me.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO POWER TO THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(~140 bucks is too much to spend for just one album, but if I find more music that comes alive, I'll probably get a pair)

Jul 2, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 47
Touhou is awesome, just finished a lunatic PCB run before writing these lines.
Anyway, glad you like the MS1's, i wonder if i should get them too, problem is that these are open headphones and it will bother my parents since the computer isn't in my room...

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 47
you can fix the comfort issue by change the pad and adjust the headband 
wink_face.gif

what pad have you tried? comfy pad?

Jul 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 47
Welcome to the dark side 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 wait, I mean bright side.

Jul 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 47
Touhou is awesome.

I listen to some of it occasionally through any of my full sized cans. They all have very good transient response, from what I can hear (though the DT 48 truly excels). Did Grado steal your precious thing?

By the way, if you like Touhou music, you should look up "chaosmaid". It's not Touhou-related, but it'll test your headphones' midrange speed and definition for sure.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 47
I can never get over the Grado brightness. I use HF-2 and MAD Ear+ HD, so bright is not something that should be present. Maybe my 16 year old ears are sensitive to higher frequencies? I am unsure. Oh well. Glad you like the MS-1. DT880 are fine. I think is is the mids on the Grado's that get to me. They are too upfront and dominant over the bass. It sorta makes my face cringe =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back