Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #346 of 3,690
Is the level of the RCA out changed by the volume knob or is it just a pass through of the RCA input? I'm trying to decide if I can put this between my modi 2U and my magni 2 without effecting the sound.

It's listed as a PreAmp so output will be controlled by volume pot.

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #351 of 3,690
It's "too bad" only in the very unusual case you propose of running a headphone amp into another headphone amp. Which you could do - but there's no good reason to.

I am trying to figure out why one would do this. An amplifier into an amplifier?

Me too...  scratching head...

If it was a pass through then I wouldn't have to use y cables and degrade the sound, or buy another switch to run it off the same source. I suppose I could just swap cables whenever I wanted to listen to a different headphone amp, but that would cause unnecessary wear and tear on the plugs.

As it is not a pass through, I wouldn't use it that way because it wouldn't make sense.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #352 of 3,690
If it was a pass through then I wouldn't have to use y cables and degrade the sound, or buy another switch to run it off the same source. I suppose I could just swap cables whenever I wanted to listen to a different headphone amp, but that would cause unnecessary wear and tear on the plugs.

As it is not a pass through, I wouldn't use it that way because it wouldn't make sense.

Just use y cables from the DAC to both amps, in my tests (and according to Schiit) it won't affect the sound.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #353 of 3,690
I use the SYS because I have yet to hear Y-cables that do not degrade the sound 
frown.gif

There was also something I read where having one of the two outputs (amplifiers) turned off could somehow affect the sound of the sound fed through to the amplifier that was still turned on.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #354 of 3,690
Just use y cables from the DAC to both amps, in my tests (and according to Schiit) it won't affect the sound.

I use the SYS because I have yet to hear Y-cables that do not degrade the sound :frowning2:

There was also something I read where having one of the two outputs (amplifiers) turned off could somehow affect the sound of the sound fed through to the amplifier that was still turned on.

My experience with Y cables is that if both amps are on (in this case it would be to listen to the Magni 2 until the Vali 2 warms up) the signal will sound squished. I already had this problem with my speaker amp and the Magni 2, which is why I now use the SYS in reverse for those two.

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #355 of 3,690
My experience with Y cables is that if both amps are on (in this case it would be to listen to the Magni 2 until the Vali 2 warms up) the signal will sound squished. I already had this problem with my speaker amp and the Magni 2, which is why I now use the SYS in reverse for those two.

I think I had both amps on a number of times when I was using the splitters and never noticed a difference, but who knows. Still, whatever works for you :)

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #356 of 3,690
I wasn't aware that we could use Y-cables in that way.  So the single end would go in whichever end on the modi?  I didn't know it could take a single left or right channel, and make it for both at the end of the Y-cable.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #358 of 3,690
I've rolled a few tubes through today: The stock 6B7Z, a Matsus*ita 6FQ7, 6AQ8 and an Amperex 6922 PQ and honestly there's not much in it. The 6FQ7 is a bit darker-sounding and the stock tube a tiny bit harsher in the treble than the others.

The amp is a bit loose-sounding, in an entertaining way. It's like being slightly tipsy. It doesn't hold the most control over the music, it's a fun listen. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #359 of 3,690
Among the heaps of praise on the original Vali, there was Jude saying it was a surprisingly nice match with the HD800. Would you say (or has anyone said) the same of Vali2 and HD800? Can you recommend any tubes for this pairing?
I've rolled a few tubes through today: The stock 6B7Z, a Matsus*ita 6FQ7, 6AQ8 and an Amperex 6922 PQ and honestly there's not much in it. The 6FQ7 is a bit darker-sounding and the stock tube a tiny bit harsher in the treble than the others.

The amp is a bit loose-sounding, in an entertaining way. It's like being slightly tipsy. It doesn't hold the most control over the music, it's a fun listen. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #360 of 3,690

Good to hear - what's working and what's not. And what's just entertaining 
tongue.gif

I went pretty cheap with my 6CG7, so the results were a little underwhelming. I'll post more comments when I get my Mullard. Then I'll at least have a few points of reference.

Among the heaps of praise on the original Vali, there was Jude saying it was a surprisingly nice match with the HD800. Would you say (or has anyone said) the same of Vali2 and HD800? Can you recommend any tubes for this pairing?

HD800 is also inbound. I'll probably listen to the stock and Mullard tubes. But I won't be able to directly compare against the original Vali until a February meet. But you know the Vali is only $99 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back