Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #3,676 of 3,690
Can someone verify whether Vali 2++ is fully electrically compatible with 6SN7 and 6922 tubes using a simple socket adapter (i.e., besides the "trying it, working fine and has not blown up so far" type of testing)?
Many thanks
A 6922 is (with adapter). Slightly less heater current than the stock 6N3P and the same or very close to the same amplification factor (depending on what data sheet you look at). So good to go on that type. The 6SN7 has much higher heater current at 600 milliamps versus the 350 milliamps of the stock 6N3P. It also has a lower amplification factor of 20 versus the ~35 of the 6N3P. Many of us with OG Vali 2's have run 6SN7's without trouble, and some for quite a long time. But that falls into the "it didn't blow up" category. From a strict electrical compatibility standpoint the 6922 complies, but the 6SN7 (in the 2++) doesn't and is a proceed at your own risk venture.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #3,677 of 3,690
A 6922 is (with adapter). Slightly less heater current than the stock 6N3P, the same or very close to the same amplification factor (depending on what data sheet you look at). So good to go on that. The 6SN7 has much higher heater current at 600 milliamps versus the 350 milliamps of the stock 6N3P. It also has a lower amplification factor of 20 versus the ~35 of the 6N3P. Many of us with OG Vali 2's have run 6SN7's without trouble, and some for a long time. But that falls into the "it didn't blow up" category rather than an electrical compatibility category. On those terms, a 6922 is fine, but the 6SN7 (in the 2++) is a proceed at your own risk venture.
Thanks. Schiit's LLM bot replied: "Vali 2++ was designed to work specifically with tubes that have a 2C51 pinout, 6V heater, and less than 600mA of heater current." Unless these specs are incorrect, it looks like it will work.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #3,680 of 3,690
A 6922 is (with adapter). Slightly less heater current than the stock 6N3P and the same or very close to the same amplification factor (depending on what data sheet you look at). So good to go on that type. The 6SN7 has much higher heater current at 600 milliamps versus the 350 milliamps of the stock 6N3P. It also has a lower amplification factor of 20 versus the ~35 of the 6N3P. Many of us with OG Vali 2's have run 6SN7's without trouble, and some for quite a long time. But that falls into the "it didn't blow up" category. From a strict electrical compatibility standpoint the 6922 complies, but the 6SN7 (in the 2++) doesn't and is a proceed at your own risk venture.**
** only for the Valiant .... 💪 🗡 🛡 .... 😑

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #3,681 of 3,690
Feb 6, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #3,682 of 3,690
Thanks. Schiit's LLM bot replied: "Vali 2++ was designed to work specifically with tubes that have a 2C51 pinout, 6V heater, and less than 600mA of heater current." Unless these specs are incorrect, it looks like it will work.
600 milliamps will cover a 6SN7. However, Schiit's AI bot is the last place I'd go for accurate info. Seems the info it spits out is wrong more than it's right.

Honestly, I don't know if there were any changes to the transformers between the OG 2 and the 2++. If not, a 6SN7 is fine. I have a couple years of usage as evidence, as a tall bottle Sylvania 7N7 (electrically identical to a 6SN7, but with a different base) is my favorite tube in the OG. But if they made changes, well....

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #3,683 of 3,690
600 milliamps will cover a 6SN7. However, Schiit's AI bot is the last place I'd go for accurate info. Seems the info it spits out is wrong more than it's right.

Honestly, I don't know if there were any changes to the transformers between the OG 2 and the 2++. If not, a 6SN7 is fine. I have a couple years of usage as evidence, as a tall bottle Sylvania 7N7 (electrically identical to a 6SN7, but with a different base) is my favorite tube in the OG. But if they made changes, well....
Agreed, that's why I asked it in multiple different ways in order to minimize the chance of a hallucination and the numbers provided were consistent. Schiit does not provide these specs to my knowledge, so unless I e-mail them there is no easy way (or at all) of finding out.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #3,684 of 3,690
In my Vali 2+ have used both 6SN7s, 7N7s and a pair of 7A4s - just not all at once. :sweat_smile:

However, my Schiit wallwart has a label - probably AI generated - that states a conservative 500mA limit at 6V. 100mA over the limit hasn't resulted in any melty bits, so far.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #3,686 of 3,690
tube adapters… the one life hack fat-cat amp makers don't want you to know
... "but for the low, low price of [insert], I can ..." 🐍 🛢 😏

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #3,688 of 3,690
How special are we talking here?
For me, they're quite special. My fav out of the 5670 jungle. Perhaps not the most detailed (Beni 6385) or the warmest (TS 2C51), but the most enjoyable balance of details, tone and soundstage. Soundstage is smaller than a pair of big twins, but sometimes it matches my small-mindedness just as well. :joy:

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #3,689 of 3,690
For me, they're quite special. My fav out of the 5670 jungle. Perhaps not the most detailed (Beni 6385) or the warmest (TS 2C51), but the most enjoyable balance of details, tone and soundstage. Soundstage is smaller than a pair of big twins, but sometimes it matches my small-mindedness just as well. :joy:
Good to hear - now I wait in more anticipation in receiving 1950s WE 20V version of the 396A - hopefully I find them just as special as you do.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #3,690 of 3,690
Definitely falling back in love with my Vali 2 today. Just a JJ 6922 in there right now, but playing classical, switching between my HE-X4s and the Gjallarhorn. Listening to Vivaldi's double cello piece right now. Such nice resonance on the strings. Really doing a good job of conveying the emotion of the music.

I am curious, though, if anyone on this thread has had both a Vali 2 and a Vali 2++, whether or not there is any reason to upgrade. Not likely to do so unless mine explodes, but I'd still like to hear opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back