Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #2,461 of 3,690
I quite surprised just how much I like my LCD-2C with the Vali. I used a couple Hifiman planars I had on a hybrid amp and wasn't much of a fan but then again it was some cheaper amp so the fact its a Vali probably is why it sounds so good. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it sounds with the tubes I have coming in a day or 2.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,462 of 3,690
I quite surprised just how much I like my LCD-2C with the Vali. I used a couple Hifiman planars I had on a hybrid amp and wasn't much of a fan but then again it was some cheaper amp so the fact its a Vali probably is why it sounds so good. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it sounds with the tubes I have coming in a day or 2.
For a $149 entry-level price-point, the Vali 2 hits way above its weight. And it is great as a tube buffer for the speaker system.

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,463 of 3,690
I'm really looking forward to hearing how it sounds with the tubes I have coming in a day or 2.

Just remember that whatever tubes you have or whichever tubes you're getting that there are even better ones out there.

Sincerely,
The Devil

:relaxed:

Apr 2, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,464 of 3,690
For a $149 entry-level price-point, the Vali 2 hits way above its weight. And it is great as a tube buffer for the speaker system.

I'm really digging on mine :) I scored mine from their B-stock, full warranty (just no 15 day trial), potentially minor aesthetic issues but was basically new looking (plus the brushed aluminum could probably be easily corrected). It was $50 off, for $99, it's astoundingly fantastic bang-for-the-buck. I also picked up my Modi 3 from B-stock, also fantastic, and I'm in for just ~$216 delivered for the two. For under $300 I'll wind up with an extra tube or two, a socket saver, some misc connections.

Hard to beat.

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,465 of 3,690
I'm really digging on mine :) I scored mine from their B-stock, full warranty (just no 15 day trial), potentially minor aesthetic issues but was basically new looking (plus the brushed aluminum could probably be easily corrected). It was $50 off, for $99, it's astoundingly fantastic bang-for-the-buck. I also picked up my Modi 3 from B-stock, also fantastic, and I'm in for just ~$216 delivered for the two. For under $300 I'll wind up with an extra tube or two, a socket saver, some misc connections.

Hard to beat.
@MaskedRacerX ... I suspect you're going to be very satisfied with the Modi3/Vali2 tag-team with sockets savers & adapters. :ksc75smile:

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #2,466 of 3,690

I haven't tried it with speakers but I have a couple of good size desktop speakers I can try it with.
Just remember that whatever tubes you have or whichever tubes you're getting that there are even better ones out there.

Sincerely,
The Devil

:relaxed:

Very true, but I got one good one and one on the less expensive side. I think the RCA clear top that was $50 should be a pretty good tube to start rolling with.

Apr 2, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #2,467 of 3,690
Very true, but I got one good one and one on the less expensive side. I think the RCA clear top that was $50 should be a pretty good tube to start rolling with.

I was just messin' with you. You can only listen to one tube at a time. I have no idea what's up with these other guys that have like a truckload of tubes....

:slight_smile:

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #2,468 of 3,690
It never worked that well for me. I got a balanced solution that sounded better with the M1060s

It does have alot of power

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,469 of 3,690
I was just messin' with you. You can only listen to one tube at a time. I have no idea what's up with these other guys that have like a truckload of tubes....

Or two tubes at a time with a dual adapter:astonished::confounded::v:

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #2,470 of 3,690

I'm with you on that. I don't see the point in buying a whole bunch of tubes to use, especially ones that cost as much or more than the amp it's self.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #2,471 of 3,690
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,472 of 3,690
You can only listen to one tube at a time. I have no idea what's up with these other guys that have like a truckload of tubes....
Yes, but we keep buying tubes expecting that every next one is better than the previous one. :) And then, it often is, but not in everything. So, one goes back to the previously bought tubes to check. I now have about 7 tubes I like, and twice that amount I am not sure about... And yes, those damn dual adapters for two single triods :triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #2,473 of 3,690
Yes, but we keep buying tubes expecting that every next one is better than the previous one. :) And then, it often is, but not in everything. So, one goes back to the previously bought tubes to check. I now have about 7 tubes I like, and twice that amount I am not sure about... And yes, those damn dual adapters for two single triods :triportsad:

Oh man, how right you are. When I first stumbled into HeadFi a little over a year ago I thought a 6922 went in a socket for a 6922. Add a few kinsmen like a 6DJ8 or 7308, but that was it. Suddenly this adapter thing raised its ugly head. Forget 50 different 6922's to try...now there's 50,000 different tubes to try. And that's just for a single tube adapter. :slight_smile:

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #2,474 of 3,690
I got the new tubes I ordered earlier today and have been using the RCA clear top and I have to say I makes a difference. It's not a night and day difference but enough that it matters. The highs on my Nightowl have more snap to them and the mids sound meatier and more full. The bass seems tighter and less bloated. I think one of the biggest changes was to the soundstage as it feels more open and the separation sounds clearer to me as well.

None are huge changes but enough that you notice and it's all positive. I'm glad I went ahead and spent the money on a good tube because for me it was worth it. I haven't tried the Electro-Harmonix 6922 I got but I will eventually, I enjoying the RCA to much to remove it just yet.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,475 of 3,690
I got the new tubes I ordered earlier today and have been using the RCA clear top and I have to say I makes a difference. It's not a night and day difference but enough that it matters. The highs on my Nightowl have more snap to them and the mids sound meatier and more full. The bass seems tighter and less bloated. I think one of the biggest changes was to the soundstage as it feels more open and the separation sounds clearer to me as well.

None are huge changes but enough that you notice and it's all positive. I'm glad I went ahead and spent the money on a good tube because for me it was worth it. I haven't tried the Electro-Harmonix 6922 I got but I will eventually, I enjoying the RCA to much to remove it just yet.
...I want to pick up some Soviet-era glass... and wonder if some cosmonaut pulled it out of an aging ICBM that was originally targeted at my CN Tower. :triportsad: Ah, to be a neurotic teenager in the 1980s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back