Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #2,431 of 3,690
Two questions: is that all I need to connect the tube to the Vali 2, and do I have to remove the chassis to install the socket saver and adapter? Thanks in advance!

1. Yes
2. No

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2,433 of 3,690
Ok, at TubeDepot when getting a tube you can select things like balanced strides, gain and a couple of others. My question is would it be worth it to get any of them and if so which one's? I found a 70s Sylvania 6DJ8/ECC88 I'm thinking of getting but don't know if I should get anything to add on.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,434 of 3,690
I went ahead and bought the RCA 6CG7 clear top and a Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH. Spent a bit more than I was going to but you know how that is.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #2,435 of 3,690
Greetings, all. I joined the Vali 2 and Magni Multibit party this week, and I’ve enjoyed it so far.

I just ordered from Tube Depot: a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB tube (balances triodes), a 6SN7 to 6922 Adapter, and a 9 Pin Socket Saver.

Two questions: is that all I need to connect the tube to the Vali 2, and do I have to remove the chassis to install the socket saver and adapter? Thanks in advance!
Now that you have the adapters, you might want to look at the Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears". I've recommended them several times before and have had nothing but complementary results.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #2,439 of 3,690
Is it worth getting one of the adaptors? What makes it better than the current set of tubes you can use?

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #2,440 of 3,690
Ok, at TubeDepot when getting a tube you can select things like balanced strides, gain and a couple of others. My question is would it be worth it to get any of them and if so which one's? I found a 70s Sylvania 6DJ8/ECC88 I'm thinking of getting but don't know if I should get anything to add on.

I've never been real impressed with their add-on stuff.

-- $2 for balanced triodes. Balanced within what tolerance? 5%? 10%? 20%? I'd pay $2 for a 5% or less triode difference. If it's more than 20% they should be returning or dumping the tube and not taking your money for it. Problem is they don't specify what balance they're charging extra for.

-- High gain? What is that? A tube has a design output whether you choose to measure it by emission or transconductance. If a new tube doesn't meet that spec it shouldn't be sold as a new tube. So what exactly is high gain? Tubes that measure with higher emissions or GM than the design spec? So what? The amp won't know any difference and neither will your ears. This one just really pegs my BS meter.

-- Low noise and microphonics. Low noise can have value if the tube is used in a phono stage, but if it's noisy enough to be obtrusive in a headphone amp then it's a bad tube. Same with microphonics.

-- Matching. Doesn't apply to the Vali2, but there's some value in an amp that uses 2 (or more) tubes. Again they don't specify what tolerance they are matching to, so I guess a pair of 6922's could be considered better matched than a 6922 and a 6CG7 paired together. :relaxed:

I don't mean to be dumping on this dealer...many have reported very good experiences with them. I just consider the add-on stuff to be of dubious value both technically and financially.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #2,441 of 3,690
I've never been real impressed with their add-on stuff.

-- $2 for balanced triodes. Balanced within what tolerance? 5%? 10%? 20%? I'd pay $2 for a 5% or less triode difference. If it's more than 20% they should be returning or dumping the tube and not taking your money for it. Problem is they don't specify what balance they're charging extra for.

-- High gain? What is that? A tube has a design output whether you choose to measure it by emission or transconductance. If a new tube doesn't meet that spec it shouldn't be sold as a new tube. So what exactly is high gain? Tubes that measure with higher emissions or GM than the design spec? So what? The amp won't know any difference and neither will your ears. This one just really pegs my BS meter.

-- Low noise and microphonics. Low noise can have value if the tube is used in a phono stage, but if it's noisy enough to be obtrusive in a headphone amp then it's a bad tube. Same with microphonics.

-- Matching. Doesn't apply to the Vali2, but there's some value in an amp that uses 2 (or more) tubes. Again they don't specify what tolerance they are matching to, so I guess a pair of 6922's could be considered better matched than a 6922 and a 6CG7 paired together. :relaxed:

I don't mean to be dumping on this dealer...many have reported very good experiences with them. I just consider the add-on stuff to be of dubious value both technically and financially.

I didn't getting any because to me it just seemed like something to get you to spend more money. I'll be happy with the two tubes I got.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #2,442 of 3,690
Is it worth getting one of the adaptors? What makes it better than the current set of tubes you can use?
The 6sn7 is a highly regarded tube. I went through 6922s, 12au7s, rca clear top 12au7s, 6cg7s, (although not the rca clear top 6cg7s which are also well regarded.) 5814s, 12ax7s, and 12at7s. The 6sn7s are also used in Schiit's higher end amps and preamps.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #2,443 of 3,690
I'll see how I like the 2 tubes I bought and then maybe look into getting an adaptor.

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,444 of 3,690

Don't let these guys drag you down into the rabbit hole. They're like drug dealers handing you something and saying "Here, try this." Next thing you know you're addicted, your whole life in an inescapable death spiral as the money for your mortgage and car payment has all been spent on tube drugs. Soon you're out on the street spending your day at the freeway exit holding a sign saying "Will work for an outlet to plug my Vali into." :slight_smile:

Seriously, adapters give you the ability to try different tube types beyond the 6922 (or similar with the same pinout). Lots of different flavors, lots of different sounds. Necessary? Nope. Fun? Absolutely. :smiley:

Mar 30, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #2,445 of 3,690
Thanks for the suggestion. There's a RCA 6CG7 on TubeDepot that I might get.. I don't really want to go over $50 for now so I'll keep looking around but the RCA clear top might be the one I get.
That makes sense. When these tubes cost as much as the Vali itself, that just doesn't sit well with me. I suspect the 6CG7 will look less odd than my (socket saver) + (6922-to-6SN7) + (Slovakian JJ 6SN7). Apparently, according to the thread, the internal circuitry identical. Pssh, I like the look of my modded, aural Frankenstein's monster. Have fun, @BubbaJay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back