1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by inseconds99, Dec 11, 2015.
First

Back
156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
Next

Last
  1. BubbaJay
    I think I saw some on the TubeDepot for about $1000 and those were the cheap ones.

Seriously though I'm very pleased with the clear top I got and it sounds great. I'm listening to my HD700 right now which is something I never do anymore but with the Vali they sound better than ever. I just wish I still had my HD600 so I'm very close to buying a HD6XX to get back that wonderful sound again.

2. bkboy12
    Well, I took you up on your suggestion and I went ahead and purchased this from Etsy tonight: https://www.etsy.com/listing/666553456/tung-sol-6sn7gt-mouse-ear-vacuum-tube

Those are the ones you’re talking about right?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  3. Keno18
    bkboy12, Old Deaf Donkey and bcowen like this.
  4. bcowen
    I just looked on Etsy for "tube" and this is all I got.

Looks like I need to spend some time there too. :relaxed::relaxed:

upload_2019-4-4_8-27-54.png

5. Robert Padgett
    My only suggestion about Soviet-era tubes like the early 1950s Foton 6H8C with ribbed plates--they WILL take you on a 100-hour roller-coaster ride as they break-in. One must assume the Soviet missile technicians planned for these tubes to be making a one-way trip, and didn't value their future value to Audiophiliacs. I complained my way through over 10 days of going from super sweet, gritty and edgy, and then back to sweetness. Finally, after 96 hours, they stayed sweet, as predicted. Now that you have discovered the sonic differences between the miniature 6922 size tubes and the larger 6SN7 types, there are a ton of inexpensive choices available. One helpful tip--- every tube does not NEED to be "tests NOS" to sound good. Used tubes have life left in them even after one number dips below the line of "NOS". So even if they are not destined for years of service, the cheaper tubes can be fun, with little investment. So my '3 for $10' versus $100 for one-tube means I don't concern myself in buying a tube which will outlive ad outperform me.

6. bcowen
    Which means it doesn't have to last very long? :slight_smile:

(from one old guy to another) :stuck_out_tongue:

7. Robert Padgett
    Well, I have yet to burn-out a tube, even on days when my old back wants to test me...Maybe I am naive, but old tubes which have long-since been "broken-in" seem to sound better than the trials of breaking-in a NIB or 'tests NOS tube'. Even though I have been involved in Tubes only 4 months, I have managed to acquire more tubes that I can reasonably assume that I have time to listen to them all...yet I bought three more for $10. Being an "Audiophile On the Cheap" does not insure I will not "desire and aquire" even more cheap tubes. Still cheaper than a high-maintainance romance, and a whole lot better to listen to.:L3000::gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

tafens, Old Deaf Donkey and bcowen like this.
  8. bcowen
    I have clear top versions of the RCA's in 12AU7, 6CG7, and 7025 types, and while IMO I wouldn't classify any of them as 'holy grail' kinda tubes they are all great sounding, and especially so for the money. And all are (ahem) clearly better than the chrome dome versions of the same general vintage.

9. bcowen
    Oh come on Robert. Admit it. You're addicted. There is no cure. 6 months from now you'll be wondering why you have 500 tubes laying around. :smile:

If at some point the clutter becomes impossible to deal with let me know and I'll come over and haul some away for you. That's what friends do for each other. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Old Deaf Donkey likes this.
  10. Robert Padgett

I am lucky in that regard. Dire poverty restricts my insanity, unlike any medication. When I became the "Audiophile on the Cheap" it wasn't following a popular trend in the industry, or mimicking Steve Guttenberg's recommendation of an "Audiophile System for $185, with a Nobsound amp and Dayton audio speakers", it was because I have so little money, that finding Schiit-quality for the price was a Blessing.

When I spring for a replacement foam for an old Zero Halliburton stainless steel case, just to house my tube collection--then "I'll be happy to see those nice men, in their nice white coats, who are coming to take me away, ha ha, he he, to the funny farm"

11. bcowen
    If all your tubes will fit in a foam-lined stainless steel case....you don't have enough tubes. :slight_smile:

12. Mr Trev
    Unless its one of those man-sized steel cases Cheney uses?

Old Deaf Donkey and bcowen like this.
  13. bcowen
    LOL!

Or like this, for which I'd make an exception. :slight_smile:

upload_2019-4-4_13-18-52.png

ScubaMan2017 and Old Deaf Donkey like this.
  14. Old Deaf Donkey
    Got her phone no?

bcowen likes this.
  15. bcowen
    The number on the sale page was BR549. I called it and got some hick-sounding guy by the name of Roy Clark Jr. telling me I had the wrong number. Must have typo'd the number in the ad, or maybe I dialed it wrong...

Old Deaf Donkey likes this.
First

Back
156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
Next

Last