Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Apr 3, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #2,476 of 3,690
I think I saw some on the TubeDepot for about $1000 and those were the cheap ones.

Seriously though I'm very pleased with the clear top I got and it sounds great. I'm listening to my HD700 right now which is something I never do anymore but with the Vali they sound better than ever. I just wish I still had my HD600 so I'm very close to buying a HD6XX to get back that wonderful sound again.

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,477 of 3,690

Attachments

• 52B694ED-22D8-4DE6-85E7-D49D047A59BE.png
    52B694ED-22D8-4DE6-85E7-D49D047A59BE.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #2,478 of 3,690
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #2,479 of 3,690
Oh yeah, perfect. Etsy? Wow, gotta add them to the list.

I just looked on Etsy for "tube" and this is all I got.

Looks like I need to spend some time there too. :relaxed::relaxed:

upload_2019-4-4_8-27-54.png

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,480 of 3,690
...I want to pick up some Soviet-era glass... and wonder if some cosmonaut pulled it out of an aging ICBM that was originally targeted at my CN Tower. :triportsad: Ah, to be a neurotic teenager in the 1980s.

My only suggestion about Soviet-era tubes like the early 1950s Foton 6H8C with ribbed plates--they WILL take you on a 100-hour roller-coaster ride as they break-in. One must assume the Soviet missile technicians planned for these tubes to be making a one-way trip, and didn't value their future value to Audiophiliacs. I complained my way through over 10 days of going from super sweet, gritty and edgy, and then back to sweetness. Finally, after 96 hours, they stayed sweet, as predicted. Now that you have discovered the sonic differences between the miniature 6922 size tubes and the larger 6SN7 types, there are a ton of inexpensive choices available. One helpful tip--- every tube does not NEED to be "tests NOS" to sound good. Used tubes have life left in them even after one number dips below the line of "NOS". So even if they are not destined for years of service, the cheaper tubes can be fun, with little investment. So my '3 for $10' versus $100 for one-tube means I don't concern myself in buying a tube which will outlive ad outperform me.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,481 of 3,690
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,482 of 3,690
Which means it doesn't have to last very long? :slight_smile:

(from one old guy to another) :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I have yet to burn-out a tube, even on days when my old back wants to test me...Maybe I am naive, but old tubes which have long-since been "broken-in" seem to sound better than the trials of breaking-in a NIB or 'tests NOS tube'. Even though I have been involved in Tubes only 4 months, I have managed to acquire more tubes that I can reasonably assume that I have time to listen to them all...yet I bought three more for $10. Being an "Audiophile On the Cheap" does not insure I will not "desire and aquire" even more cheap tubes. Still cheaper than a high-maintainance romance, and a whole lot better to listen to.:L3000::gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,483 of 3,690
I got the new tubes I ordered earlier today and have been using the RCA clear top and I have to say I makes a difference. It's not a night and day difference but enough that it matters. The highs on my Nightowl have more snap to them and the mids sound meatier and more full. The bass seems tighter and less bloated. I think one of the biggest changes was to the soundstage as it feels more open and the separation sounds clearer to me as well.

None are huge changes but enough that you notice and it's all positive. I'm glad I went ahead and spent the money on a good tube because for me it was worth it. I haven't tried the Electro-Harmonix 6922 I got but I will eventually, I enjoying the RCA to much to remove it just yet.

I have clear top versions of the RCA's in 12AU7, 6CG7, and 7025 types, and while IMO I wouldn't classify any of them as 'holy grail' kinda tubes they are all great sounding, and especially so for the money. And all are (ahem) clearly better than the chrome dome versions of the same general vintage.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #2,484 of 3,690
Well, I have yet to burn-out a tube, even on days when my old back wants to test me...Maybe I am naive, but old tubes which have long-since been "broken-in" seem to sound better than the trials of breaking-in a NIB or 'tests NOS tube'. Even though I have been involved in Tubes only 4 months, I have managed to acquire more tubes that I can reasonably assume that I have time to listen to them all...yet I bought three more for $10. Being an "Audiophile On the Cheap" does not insure I will not "desire and aquire" even more cheap tubes. Still cheaper than a high-maintainance romance, and a whole lot better to listen to.:L3000::gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

Oh come on Robert. Admit it. You're addicted. There is no cure. 6 months from now you'll be wondering why you have 500 tubes laying around. :smile:

If at some point the clutter becomes impossible to deal with let me know and I'll come over and haul some away for you. That's what friends do for each other. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,485 of 3,690
Oh come on Robert. Admit it. You're addicted. There is no cure. 6 months from now you'll be wondering why you have 500 tubes laying around. :smile:

If at some point the clutter becomes impossible to deal with let me know and I'll come over and haul some away for you. That's what friends do for each other. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I am lucky in that regard. Dire poverty restricts my insanity, unlike any medication. When I became the "Audiophile on the Cheap" it wasn't following a popular trend in the industry, or mimicking Steve Guttenberg's recommendation of an "Audiophile System for $185, with a Nobsound amp and Dayton audio speakers", it was because I have so little money, that finding Schiit-quality for the price was a Blessing.

When I spring for a replacement foam for an old Zero Halliburton stainless steel case, just to house my tube collection--then "I'll be happy to see those nice men, in their nice white coats, who are coming to take me away, ha ha, he he, to the funny farm"

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,486 of 3,690
When I spring for a replacement foam for an old Zero Halliburton stainless steel case, just to house my tube collection...

If all your tubes will fit in a foam-lined stainless steel case....you don't have enough tubes. :slight_smile:

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,488 of 3,690
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #2,489 of 3,690
I just looked on Etsy for "tube" and this is all I got.

Looks like I need to spend some time there too. :relaxed::relaxed:

Got her phone no?

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #2,490 of 3,690
Got her phone no?

The number on the sale page was BR549. I called it and got some hick-sounding guy by the name of Roy Clark Jr. telling me I had the wrong number. Must have typo'd the number in the ad, or maybe I dialed it wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back