Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,491 of 3,690
The number on the sale page was BR549. I called it and got some hick-sounding guy by the name of Roy Clark Jr. telling me I had the wrong number. Must have typo'd the number in the ad, or maybe I dialed it wrong...
Schiit. I liked the twin round getters rather much. Hoped to get them flashed.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,494 of 3,690
Sorry if I've added to your addiction, lol. Apparently, the tube is from the 1960s, and it has black plates? No idea what any of that means, but it sounds pretty cool.
The picture I saw was of the mouse ears, they were made only until the early 50s. Are you referring to a different tube?

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,496 of 3,690
Nah. The guy who sold it to me on Etsy he said he thinks it's from the early '60s, but there are no dates or codes on it that he can decipher. I don't think he knows.
When you get it we can decipher the date.

Edit: Just realized, if it has black plates, it may be from the late 40s. I'd be interested to hear how it sounds.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2,498 of 3,690
My only suggestion about Soviet-era tubes like the early 1950s Foton 6H8C with ribbed plates--they WILL take you on a 100-hour roller-coaster ride as they break-in. One must assume the Soviet missile technicians planned for these tubes to be making a one-way trip, and didn't value their future value to Audiophiliacs. I complained my way through over 10 days of going from super sweet, gritty and edgy, and then back to sweetness. Finally, after 96 hours, they stayed sweet, as predicted. Now that you have discovered the sonic differences between the miniature 6922 size tubes and the larger 6SN7 types, there are a ton of inexpensive choices available. One helpful tip--- every tube does not NEED to be "tests NOS" to sound good. Used tubes have life left in them even after one number dips below the line of "NOS". So even if they are not destined for years of service, the cheaper tubes can be fun, with little investment. So my '3 for $10' versus $100 for one-tube means I don't concern myself in buying a tube which will outlive ad outperform me.

Which means it doesn't have to last very long? :slight_smile:

(from one old guy to another) :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I have yet to burn-out a tube, even on days when my old back wants to test me...Maybe I am naive, but old tubes which have long-since been "broken-in" seem to sound better than the trials of breaking-in a NIB or 'tests NOS tube'. Even though I have been involved in Tubes only 4 months, I have managed to acquire more tubes that I can reasonably assume that I have time to listen to them all...yet I bought three more for $10. Being an "Audiophile On the Cheap" does not insure I will not "desire and aquire" even more cheap tubes. Still cheaper than a high-maintainance romance, and a whole lot better to listen to.:L3000::gs1000smile::ksc75smile:

(cntrl-C) + (cntrl-V) + (Google Keep). :ksc75smile:

Apr 7, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,499 of 3,690
After using the new tubes I got the RCA clear top is the best, as it should be. I thought the Electro-Harmonix was better at first but that was because it has a more up front sound but the clear top is much cleaner sounding. The E-H has more bass presence but and more forward sounding mids but I like the overall sound of the clear top more. I already want to try more tubes but I'm going to wait tell I can get a few at once.

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #2,500 of 3,690
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #2,502 of 3,690
Got my B-stock Vali ($99!!!) yesterday. Still waiting to hear it though... bad tube.

Great customer service from Schiit who shipped a replacement tube within an hour or two.

Gotta wait until Monday now. :triportsad:

You mean you don't have any other tubes? Oh my. Hey guys......fresh meat for the grinder. :slight_smile:

Seriously, welcome to the club. Let us know how things go once you get the new tube in. Be aware that both the amp and the tube need some break-in time before they'll sound their best, so if you're pleased at first listen, know that it'll get even better after you play it for 25-30 hours.

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #2,503 of 3,690
You mean you don't have any other tubes? Oh my. Hey guys......fresh meat for the grinder. :slight_smile:

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile: Too late in Europe for a longer post. Wait until tomorrow. I'll post the list of my tubes for Vali 2.

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #2,504 of 3,690
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #2,505 of 3,690
And so it begins. @Delirious Lab , my condolences to your wallet.

:laughing:
As the Affordable Audiophile, let me clue you in.
Cheap tubes sound great.
For a Vali 2, spend no more on tubes as you paid for the amp.
I suggest you try 6SN7 tubes with an adapter and socket-saver, and you can score great deals like '3 for $10' with free shipping. They aren't matched and may test below standard, but that gives you fun just rolling those three tubes. You can only play one at a time, anyhow, so being Matched or NOS only means they cost more. It is surprising what "Used Tests Good" really sounds like. They may not last long, but whatever --buy three more.

Welcome, and your wallet doesn't need to worry for you to enjoy the music.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thinking::relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back