Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #2,521 of 3,690
What happens if you stick your finger in a live wall outlet? I mean you probably never will, but it's theoretically possible so probably something else to be paranoid about.
That's a good question, wait, I'll be right back... (Sirens blaring, doors being broken down.)

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,522 of 3,690
What happens if you stick your finger in a live wall outlet? I mean you probably never will, but it's theoretically possible so probably something else to be paranoid about.
You do understand it was a serious question about something with potential for serious ramifications? I don't really get why you're turning it into an insult.
I've asked this to Schiit support about removing a tube while the amp was one. They told me "Running it for any length of time without tubes won’t hurt it." It makes sense since a tube could easily burn out while the amplifier is running.
Ah, thanks for the info. Honestly I would say "burn out" isn't necessarily the same thing as "not being present at all." Usually it's the heaters that ultimately die out which wouldn't be such a big deal. Having entire pathways completely nonexistent is a different story IMO. That's why I was concerned about if the vacuum was lost though. More than just the heaters could blow out if there was no vacuum. But anyway, if they confirm it won't be harmed by having no tube present that answers the question nicely.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #2,523 of 3,690
Ah, thanks for the info. Honestly I would say "burn out" isn't necessarily the same thing as "not being present at all." Usually it's the heaters that ultimately die out which wouldn't be such a big deal. Having entire pathways completely nonexistent is a different story IMO. That's why I was concerned about if the vacuum was lost though. More than just the heaters could blow out if there was no vacuum. But anyway, if they confirm it won't be harmed by having no tube present that answers the question nicely.

Fair enough, but it’s easy enough to turn it on with no tube in it. Generally an open circuit won’t cause anything bad to happen, it just won’t work (electricity stops flowing).

Either way, Schiit said it was fine.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #2,524 of 3,690
So I received the replacement tube from Schiit yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Not that I'm any kind of tube connoisseur, but this one is (to my ears) radically different from the one I got for a song from some apartment this weekend. While that one was very neutral, detailed and revealing, the Schiit tube on the other hand (again, to my ears) is darker right out of the box, and works wonders with thin-sounding recordings. For instance, now playing Idil Biret's piano rendering of the Symphonie fantastique and wow, it's never been this meaty.

So for a mere $10 I may already have reached my tube endgame. I feel like I can swap anytime between a warm sound and a super detailed one at will.

Y'all agree this is endgame, right? No more spending for me? No clicking the Buy button on that 6SN7 adapter, huh?

Right?... Guys?

Bueller?

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,525 of 3,690
So I received the replacement tube from Schiit yesterday and couldn't be happier.

Not that I'm any kind of tube connoisseur, but this one is (to my ears) radically different from the one I got for a song from some apartment this weekend. While that one was very neutral, detailed and revealing, the Schiit tube on the other hand (again, to my ears) is darker right out of the box, and works wonders with thin-sounding recordings. For instance, now playing Idil Biret's piano rendering of the Symphonie fantastique and wow, it's never been this meaty.

So for a mere $10 I may already have reached my tube endgame. I feel like I can swap anytime between a warm sound and a super detailed one at will.

Y'all agree this is endgame, right? No more spending for me? No clicking the Buy button on that 6SN7 adapter, huh?

Right?... Guys?

Bueller?
Denial....not the big River in Egypt.
I suppose the stock tube from Schiit could be the end game. If you look around, you can find those tubes even cheaper than $10. If you are happy, that is all that matters, enjoy the music.

Buying a 6SN7 adapter and a socket-saver opens up greater choices.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,526 of 3,690
You do understand it was a serious question about something with potential for serious ramifications? I don't really get why you're turning it into an insult.

Personally, I think you are taking your question far too seriously, and the reply was meant as a light retort.
Welcome to the social media and an audio forum.

Thicker skin, or a leather jacket will prevent road rash, if you have to lay your motorcycle down.

And may I suggest, stop using the Vali 2 while in the bathtub, or when you are knee deep in water.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,528 of 3,690
Dipping a Vali in the bathtub... wasn't that one of the ways Bill Murray killed himself in Groundhog Day?

I don't remember. Are you making light of the serious ramifications of sticking your tongue into the electrical outlet?

Like Spontaneous Combustion kills people every year, including one drummer for the band Spinal Tap-- I saw in the Documentary film, "This is Spinal Tap".

Add to the list, plugging your headphones into a electrical outlet-- just because there is an adapter doesn't mean it will work, so don't switch out the 3.5 mm plug with a conventional electrical plug, there is no free music in your houldhold wiring!

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,530 of 3,690

Right?... Guys?

Bueller?

My previous Vali2 (1.0) came with that 6bz7 Canada tube, while the new version (1.1) I just got a couple of weeks ago as b-stock came with the tube marked "1239" which my interwebz search found no info on. Notwithstanding the lack of info, the combination sounds much smoother and far less strident on top than the older combination. Can't say for sure how much of that is due to the different tube vs. board revisions as I no longer have the 6bz7 to compare, but I find it preferable as a package ( at $99, vs. the $169 or $179 I originally paid) to the first version. Of course, I could just be full of schiit. Hard to beat for a c-note though, imo.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #2,531 of 3,690
Sounds like my experience so far, senorx.

upload_2019-4-16_14-23-35.png

Left: Schiit stock tube, a very faint "1239" is the only marking. For warmth and darkness.
Right: 6BZ7 "Canada" tube. For air and unforgiving detail.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #2,532 of 3,690
That's a good question, wait, I'll be right back... (Sirens blaring, doors being broken down.)
...no, no, @Keno18 ... the alarms and such only happen when one changes the formatting on a Microsoft Word document. Yeesh. :ksc75smile:

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #2,533 of 3,690
I purchased a used Vali 2 (1.0) from another user here maybe 6 months ago. I didn't even realize that there were two versions. I also have a Magni 3 beneath it for when I want that full SS sound. I didn't really like the mismatched knobs, so I reached out to Schiit asking about the revised model and possibly getting a new knob. They got right back to me with the shipped price of $3.57. I was completely taken back by the great customer service. They also threw in the revised shorter footpads for free. Couldn't be happier.

On that note, are there any discernible differences between the board or amp from the original vs the revised model?

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #2,534 of 3,690
I purchased a used Vali 2 (1.0) from another user here maybe 6 months ago. I didn't even realize that there were two versions. I also have a Magni 3 beneath it for when I want that full SS sound. I didn't really like the mismatched knobs, so I reached out to Schiit asking about the revised model and possibly getting a new knob. They got right back to me with the shipped price of $3.57. I was completely taken back by the great customer service. They also threw in the revised shorter footpads for free. Couldn't be happier.

On that note, are there any discernible differences between the board or amp from the original vs the revised model?
Interesting question, @Eighty8 ... My Wreck-It-Ralph sized hands struggled with the stock knobs... so I picked up larger, butt-ugly, textured knobs. After gently prying the stock knobs off (glued on?!), and anchoring the replacements -- excellent fine-adjustment for me. :smile_phones:
I haven't seen any comments on the threads about appreciable differences on the Vali2 models. I'm guessing Schiit just tweaked the board slightly (for easier assembly? For more robust tube-socket attachment?). Again, I'm guessing here a bit. Me? I'm pleased with the little, versatile toaster.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #2,535 of 3,690

Vali 1.0.jpg
Vali2 1.1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back