*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jan 13, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #2,536 of 2,577
I'd make sure you have usb selected on the modi at the front of the unit and that the power cord is connected at the back.

Do you fully shut down your laptop much? or restart windows? If not, try shutting down your system/laptop, make sure modi is fully powered and then plug it in to the laptop whilst shut off, then restart and see if that works?!

Could there be an issue with that particular usb port that you are connecting the modi into? Try testing it with a thumb drive or something and see if it acts up?

Lastly, check in your device manager in the control panel and see if you have any problems with your system, usually a troubled usb port or usb device will be flagged in your control panel.

If you do have an issue in the control panel then that might mean you might need to update the device driver, try here for Schiit modi2u:

http://www.schiit.com/drivers

Also, their troubleshooting page:

http://www.schiit.com/guides/dac-problems

Good luck mate!

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,538 of 2,577
I have the HD 700's. When I first got them I had the Schiit Stack; Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber. It was fine. Felt lacking though and my Magni was maxed out on gain and volume. didn't feel like it was getting enough juice.

Later upgraded to a Bifrost 4490 and Valhalla 2. No comparison, but that is to be expected for the price gap. Modi/Magni are good entry level units and was a fantastic fit for my old HD 598's. If you have anything higher than 598's or equivalent. I would look at a better Amp than the Magni imho.

May 25, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #2,539 of 2,577
Misunderstood you there. Yes the Pyst Cables are a Bargain compared most of the Others out there.

You already have a Wyrd, maybe I am missing something but the Jitter Bug and Wyrd perform similar functions. Are you taking the wyrd out of the Chain?

No I did not take the Wyrd out of the system and I have added a second Jitterbug and added one to my Mac as well.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,540 of 2,577
The latest Win. 10 update messed with my Modi 2 Uber, my laptop won't recognize it and I've tried all 3 of my usb ports and uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers from Schiit's website and it still not working. Anyone else have this issue?

Even tried restarting multiple times with no success.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #2,541 of 2,577
The latest Win. 10 update messed with my Modi 2 Uber, my laptop won't recognize it and I've tried all 3 of my usb ports and uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers from Schiit's website and it still not working. Anyone else have this issue?

Even tried restarting multiple times with no success.

No problem with my Modi 2U and a Win 10 1803 laptop. Whatever's happening may not be Schitt-specific. In fact I've seen quite a few "Windows 10 1803 USB not working" posts out there on the internetz. 1709 too, sometimes for a specific devices, sometimes for everything. What a headache.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,542 of 2,577
No problem with my Modi 2U and a Win 10 1803 laptop. Whatever's happening may not be Schitt-specific. In fact I've seen quite a few "Windows 10 1803 USB not working" posts out there on the internetz. 1709 too, sometimes for a specific devices, sometimes for everything. What a headache.

I appreciate the response, and I found a workaround. I downloaded an ASIO 2.14 driver and it recognized the Modi2U instantly, strange! I dug around a lot of forums to find that tip.

Edit: ASIO drivers are most commonly used with the ODAC.

Edit: The ASIO drivers only worked for an hour, M2U is unreadable again. Going to try a powered usb hub, ordered one online. Going to use my backup Micca Origen+ as DAC in the meantime.

The hub: https://www.amazon.com/Macally-Powered-Power-Adapter-TriHub4/dp/B001DBF07I

Update: The powered hub did not fix the issue, time to sell the Modi2U :/

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #2,543 of 2,577
My Modi 2 was working just fine on W10 until the Windows 10 KB4023057 update, and now it's joined the "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, so piss off" club. This is on a powered hub.

LDyMyIM.png

iaFsmlV.png

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,544 of 2,577
So have people mostly just given up on the widespread issues regarding USB detection for their Modi 2? I do not have the Uber (and searching only turned up this thread), but I've spent hours trying to get my Modi 2 to be recognized properly in Windows, taking every single step suggested in multiple threads, including changing USB power settings, BIOS settings, trying a powered hub (I even bought a better-reviewed hub that is currently on the way) and I get a variety of errors. Sometimes it recognizes and the Modi works. But 99% of the time it either doesn't recognize, or shows up as a port reset failure in device manger. Schiit drivers cannot be installed reliably, and even when I do get them working, the next time I go to use the Modi 2, it's not working again. Most of the time, the driver setup just saying I need to plug in my device. Light is always on when plugged in, whether recognized or not. Completely at a loss.

And if the issue isn't something that I'm going to be able to fix (this was also tested on multiple machines), is there a recommended DAC without widespread detection issues in Windows 10 near the same price point that will work fine with my Magni 2 and PYST cables? Schiit likely won't be able to help me as the Modi sat in a box for well over a year and I am out of the warranty period. It's definitely never taken any bumps or drops.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #2,545 of 2,577
So have people mostly just given up on the widespread issues regarding USB detection for their Modi 2? I do not have the Uber (and searching only turned up this thread), but I've spent hours trying to get my Modi 2 to be recognized properly in Windows, taking every single step suggested in multiple threads, including changing USB power settings, BIOS settings, trying a powered hub (I even bought a better-reviewed hub that is currently on the way) and I get a variety of errors. Sometimes it recognizes and the Modi works. But 99% of the time it either doesn't recognize, or shows up as a port reset failure in device manger. Schiit drivers cannot be installed reliably, and even when I do get them working, the next time I go to use the Modi 2, it's not working again. Most of the time, the driver setup just saying I need to plug in my device. Light is always on when plugged in, whether recognized or not. Completely at a loss.

And if the issue isn't something that I'm going to be able to fix (this was also tested on multiple machines), is there a recommended DAC without widespread detection issues in Windows 10 near the same price point that will work fine with my Magni 2 and PYST cables? Schiit likely won't be able to help me as the Modi sat in a box for well over a year and I am out of the warranty period. It's definitely never taken any bumps or drops.

The JDS OL DAC is my recommendation at the $100 price point. I've read lots of reports with Modi 2 failures over the years and no solution, unfortunately.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #2,546 of 2,577
The JDS OL DAC is my recommendation at the $100 price point. I've read lots of reports with Modi 2 failures over the years and no solution, unfortunately.

That's unfortunate -- I'm still going to wait a couple days for the new powered hub to get here so I can test once more, but the JDS OL DAC looks nice. Is there any reason I should get the optical version if I don't ... plan on using it? Like as a USB DAC is it highly recommended these days? I'm pretty out of the loop.

Aug 12, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,547 of 2,577
That's unfortunate -- I'm still going to wait a couple days for the new powered hub to get here so I can test once more, but the JDS OL DAC looks nice. Is there any reason I should get the optical version if I don't ... plan on using it? Like as a USB DAC is it highly recommended these days? I'm pretty out of the loop.

It really depends on your setup and if you want to spend the extra money. The USB implementation on the OL DAC has been tested and is known to be quite good for the price, so I personally would stick to USB. Optical is nice if you don't want to fiddle around with USB, but if you're running any recent version of Windows 10 then most audio devices are plug and play now.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #2,548 of 2,577
I've been using my Modi 2/Magni 2 Uber combo for a while and have really liked it with my HD6XXs. I used to use a pair of cheap computer speakers and a 3.5mm to RCA adapter, but I recently upgraded to a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

My question is: what is the ideal (or almost ideal) volume/gain combinations for my speakers going through the 2 Uber's preamp? Windows is obviously set to 100% volume, but I am not sure what the correct balance is for the Uber's gain dial and the Promedia's volume control. With my HD6XXs, I use high gain and set the dial to about 9 o'clock. A decent combination I've found is low gain, 11ish o'clock on the Uber, and the volume at about 9 o'clock on the speakers.

I apologize as I'm sure this question has been asked before. I did about 20 minutes of searching (Google and here), but I still couldn't find anything concrete.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #2,549 of 2,577
Just bought a Magni3. It is not like a Magni2u's successor. It doesn't have the treble extension and energy from the Magni2u, but it sounds good. For those who want to replace the Magni2u with the Magni3 imo it is not necessary if you like a neutral sounding amp

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #2,550 of 2,577
My question is: what is the ideal (or almost ideal) volume/gain combinations for my speakers going through the 2 Uber's preamp? Windows is obviously set to 100% volume, but I am not sure what the correct balance is for the Uber's gain dial and the Promedia's volume control.

I’m not an expert with powered speakers, but to have good volume range control with the Magni, it would seem best to adjust the speaker’s volume knob to what you want to have as absolute max volume while having the Magni at max. Then you can adjust the full range with the Magni volume knob.

Edit: And you won’t risk blowing your ear drums by turning the Magni up to full :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back