*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #2,551 of 2,577
Hi, i am currently considering new headphone amp and i can get Magni 2 Uber for around 120 euros basically new with some warranty left. I've been told it's better sound wise (not power wise) than Magni 3, which's power is mostly useless for me and is out of stock. Should i go with Magni 2 Uber (and new knob XD)?
My other options are Vali 2 for 164 euros and possibly Objective2 by JDS.
Thanks

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #2,552 of 2,577
Hi, i am currently considering new headphone amp and i can get Magni 2 Uber for around 120 euros basically new with some warranty left. I've been told it's better sound wise (not power wise) than Magni 3, which's power is mostly useless for me and is out of stock. Should i go with Magni 2 Uber (and new knob XD)?
Thanks
Get the Magni 3. It sounds much better than the Asgard 2 and the Magni2u. I had many Schiits amps and the Magni3 is the best among them. If you deem M3 sound as a fullHD image, the Magni2u and the Asgard are like monochrome low resolution images

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,553 of 2,577
Thanks

I have both the Magni2U with Modi2U stack and the Magni3 with ModiMB stack, and to me the Magni3 sounds better. The ModiMB might have something to do with it too of course, I haven’t tried mixing them around yet. This is with the HD6XX, I should also mention.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,554 of 2,577
I have both the Magni2U with Modi2U stack and the Magni3 with ModiMB stack, and to me the Magni3 sounds better. The ModiMB might have something to do with it too of course, I haven’t tried mixing them around yet. This is with the HD6XX, I should also mention.
The thing is that i can get M2U cheaper than Magni 3 and every penny saved is good for me. I also heard the Magni 3 distorts more than Magni 2U (makes sense with more power)

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #2,555 of 2,577
The thing is that i can get M2U cheaper than Magni 3 and every penny saved is good for me. I also heard the Magni 3 distorts more than Magni 2U (makes sense with more power)

The M2U is a nice amp also, I enjoyed it for the better part of two years before I got the Magni3. I haven’t noticed any distortion with any of them, but I rarely go past 9 o’clock on the volume (didn’t really with the Magni2U either, maybe 9:30-ish).

Also living in Europe, I bought the Magni3 for €125 (not including shipping) from the European distributor.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #2,556 of 2,577
Just bought a Magni3. It is not like a Magni2u's successor. It doesn't have the treble extension and energy from the Magni2u, but it sounds good. For those who want to replace the Magni2u with the Magni3 imo it is not necessary if you like a neutral sounding amp

That doesn't make any sense. The Magni 2U and Magni 3 have identical specs, the only difference is the Magni 3 puts out a little more mW to the drivers. Other than that is basically a rebranded Magni 2U. I have experienced this myself testing my Senn HD 700 and 660S's on my roommates recently purchased Magni 3, to my old Magni 2U. Couldn't decern any real difference other than my phones got a bit louder on the Magni 3, with a variety of tracks. Neither sound anywhere close to my Valhalla 2 with solid state tubes, but that's to be expected I guess. Both Magni's are stellar entry-level options both in performance and price. You really can't go wrong. But yes, if you already have a Magni 2U, there is no point whatsoever in the Magni 3, unless you need a bit more power and are on a budget. I would recommend moving up an AMP class entirely if looking to upgrade, otherwise, the Magni 3 is just going to feel and sound the exact same, with a slight bump in power.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #2,557 of 2,577
That doesn't make any sense. The Magni 2U and Magni 3 have identical specs, the only difference is the Magni 3 puts out a little more mW to the drivers. Other than that is basically a rebranded Magni 2U. I have experienced this myself testing my Senn HD 700 and 660S's on my roommates recently purchased Magni 3, to my old Magni 2U. Couldn't decern any real difference other than my phones got a bit louder on the Magni 3, with a variety of tracks. Neither sound anywhere close to my Valhalla 2 with solid state tubes, but that's to be expected I guess. Both Magni's are stellar entry-level options both in performance and price. You really can't go wrong. But yes, if you already have a Magni 2U, there is no point whatsoever in the Magni 3, unless you need a bit more power and are on a budget. I would recommend moving up an AMP class entirely if looking to upgrade, otherwise, the Magni 3 is just going to feel and sound the exact same, with a slight bump in power.
Sorry i have not seen the specs. I blind-bought the Magni 3 for my speakers because it was "only" $99. I didn't expect much but the amp sounded so good that i sold all of my other amps latter. The Magni 3 reminded me about the Asgard 1: Sweet, musical and nuanced sound, but much more detail..(not natural like the Asgard 1 though) .Maybe the Magni 3 suits my headphones i don't know.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,558 of 2,577
Okay so i got my Magni 2 Uber, it sounds great and works great too, my only concern in that when i connect the headphones (HD58X), i can hear very quiet pop in either left or right channel. Should i be concerned? Sometimes i don't hear it at all, sometimes louder, sometimes very quiet.
UPDATE: i was recommended to measure DC offset, i measured with my Voltcraft DDM with amp turned all the way down on 200mV sensitivity. Right channel shows 02.3, left channel 0. Should i be worried?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,559 of 2,577
Okay so i got my Magni 2 Uber, it sounds great and works great too, my only concern in that when i connect the headphones (HD58X), i can hear very quiet pop in either left or right channel. Should i be concerned? Sometimes i don't hear it at all, sometimes louder, sometimes very quiet.
UPDATE: i was recommended to measure DC offset, i measured with my Voltcraft DDM with amp turned all the way down on 200mV sensitivity. Right channel shows 02.3, left channel 0. Should i be worried?

The pops are because the TRS connector is momentarily shorted during insertion. This is nothing to worry about, I asked Schiit about the exact same thing with my Magni2U and that’s what they said.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,560 of 2,577

Re your update, see the "Amp is Louder in One Channel" on this Schiit web page: http://www.schiit.com/guides/amp-problems

Most customers apparently listen at higher levels and never discover this, but as I prefer quieter music I am one of the customers who have inserted attenuators on the RCA inputs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier.640783/page-150#post-13254036

That is a separate problem from the pop you're hearing when inserting a headphone jack. I do not hear that, and it would be interesting to learn if you hear that on other model headphones.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #2,562 of 2,577
Re your update, see the "Amp is Louder in One Channel" on this Schiit web page: http://www.schiit.com/guides/amp-problems

Most customers apparently listen at higher levels and never discover this, but as I prefer quieter music I am one of the customers who have inserted attenuators on the RCA inputs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier.640783/page-150#post-13254036

That is a separate problem from the pop you're hearing when inserting a headphone jack. I do not hear that, and it would be interesting to learn if you hear that on other model headphones.
Volume difference doesnt exist with my headphones at normal levels. I can hear imbalance at like 8 oclock but not higher

Oct 6, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,564 of 2,577
soo when i insert a headphone jack it's like i was taking the two contacts and shorting them metal on metal?

I don’t know the specifics of it, but I guess things are briefly shorted as the plug slides past the contact areas in the jack.

Oct 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2,565 of 2,577
I don’t know the specifics of it, but I guess things are briefly shorted as the plug slides past the contact areas in the jack.
In that case, the amp should have some kind of protection for cases when you have music playing and short the contacts by inserting a plug right? I always have no music playing and volume all the way down when inserting a headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back