*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 23, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #2,506 of 2,577
Cool, I just added a Modi 2 to my order.

So I guess I need RCA Cables and a USB A to B cable. Is it worth spending more on cables or should I go with whatever?

Also, any idea if this cable here would work (described as a printer cable): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005JKXV66/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AYT0OFIYZ5W6Q&psc=1

I like Kabeldirekt cables: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FQK311O/

Gold plated connectors, oxygen free copper, well isolated from the looks of it (it's slightly thicker than the PYST/Straightwire cables Schiit sells).
In general, you should pick the shortest cable that works in your setup, especially with non-balanced cables.

Edit: the link appears to go to the 1m version instead of 3m as originally stated, but you can pick a different length

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2,507 of 2,577
Honestly not everyone will agree with you on that USB cables making a difference in sound quality is a myth. There are some very knowledgeable, experienced, and educated people who fall under both camps on this debate, but it's really a discussion for the sound science forums. Honestly I would refrain from making proclamations that it's a myth, the wrong path, and false, etc. I think the best advice is people should approach cables with some caution but not necessarily dismiss them, especially those new to the hobby. There being such a strong debate about this indicates at least some level of uncertainty.
I dont really care about agreement.
Other people are wrong and its pretty much that simple.
USB cables are physically incapable of increasing sound quality.
Only people who have no understanding of digital signal can ever believe such foolishness. Alot of the audio world is based on taking advantage of people who are foolish, selling products which are not any better but make outlandish and unverifiable claims. Objectivists are forced out over these uninformed people trying to justify their purchases.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,508 of 2,577
Discussion closed as far as I'm concerned!

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2,509 of 2,577
I dont really care about agreement.
Other people are wrong and its pretty much that simple.
USB cables are physically incapable of increasing sound quality.
Only people who have no understanding of digital signal can ever believe such foolishness. Alot of the audio world is based on taking advantage of people who are foolish, selling products which are not any better but make outlandish and unverifiable claims. Objectivists are forced out over these uninformed people trying to justify their purchases.

So many people seem to overlook USB also carries power not just a digital signal. Unlike HDMI, USB is not a digital-signal only cable.

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #2,510 of 2,577
So many people seem to overlook USB also carries power not just a digital signal. Unlike HDMI, USB is not a digital-signal only cable.
Too bad power doesn't get dirtied by cables unless the quality is ultra poor and also most DAC's fully discard the power signal or report to the computer a power draw of 0ma so the computer sends no power.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #2,512 of 2,577
Hey guys, I just setup my Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 3 stack.

Quick question about output etc. I use Foobar2000 where I can choose Output and I can select Modi USB Device. However, I don't get the same option in Spotify. Does that make any difference?

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,513 of 2,577
Hey guys, I just setup my Schiit Modi 2 / Magni 3 stack.

Quick question about output etc. I use Foobar2000 where I can choose Output and I can select Modi USB Device. However, I don't get the same option in Spotify. Does that make any difference?
You must purchase Equalify to select your audio device in spotify. If you listen to spotify alot.... its certainly worth it.
If you just listen occasionally then just set your default device to your Modi when you want to listen to it.
There is another program also called CheVolume which will let you adjust your target sound card for most programs.
But it also is not free for the full version.

Personally I have both and use them every day.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #2,514 of 2,577
You must purchase Equalify to select your audio device in spotify. If you listen to spotify alot.... its certainly worth it.
If you just listen occasionally then just set your default device to your Modi when you want to listen to it.
There is another program also called CheVolume which will let you adjust your target sound card for most programs.
But it also is not free for the full version.

Personally I have both and use them every day.
My default Windows audio device is permanently set to Modi and I've disabled my Realtek one. Is this enough and will Spotify automatically use it if it's the only enabled device? Sorry for the questions, just not sure how exactly it works.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #2,515 of 2,577
My default Windows audio device is permanently set to Modi and I've disabled my Realtek one. Is this enough and will Spotify automatically use it if it's the only enabled device? Sorry for the questions, just not sure how exactly it works.
Yes, if modi is the default device, all programs you run will use it.

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,517 of 2,577

^^^ What they said. Except that sometimes after a big Windows update, or when the Modi is disconnected, or when apps generally run amok, the disabled devices may magically come back to life, like killer zombies that you didn't even notice had taken over your music even after you shot them in the head. Just sayin'.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,518 of 2,577
^^^ What they said. Except that sometimes after a big Windows update, or when the Modi is disconnected, or when apps generally run amok, the disabled devices may magically come back to life, like killer zombies that you didn't even notice had taken over your music even after you shot them in the head. Just sayin'.

Every time I update my video card drivers it re-enables my Dell ultrasharps as sound devices and sets one to the default. Super annoying, but thankfully it's only like once every one or two months.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2,519 of 2,577
Every time I update my video card drivers it re-enables my Dell ultrasharps as sound devices and sets one to the default. Super annoying, but thankfully it's only like once every one or two months.

#Windows. Just think: we've been trained to be thankful it only goes all Hulk smash on us every month or two. Oh so thankful. Because Vista. And Windows ME.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,520 of 2,577
#Windows. Just think: we've been trained to be thankful it only goes all Hulk smash on us every month or two. Oh so thankful. Because Vista. And Windows ME.

My first personal computer was a compaq with windows ME and I was just happy to have it, being only 12 or so at the time, but I soon realized the tragedy that was ME and longed for more ram and a bigger hard drive to run XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back