*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Nov 20, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,276 of 2,577

Hi Krutsch, I thought I can only use a Y-splitter out of the iPhone 6s headphone jack into the RCA (red/white) analog in on the back of Magni 2U. Is that another way I can hook this up? Thanks.

Oh, you are correct... I forgot what was plugging into where. You really mean a 3.5mm --> L/R RCA. All good.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,277 of 2,577
  The iphone dac is decent and better than lots of budget dacs, but many aftermarket dacs that are not too expensive will bring improvements in my opinion.  What you need to remember is that if you are running headphone out into the Magni, you are hearing the Iphone dac and it's rather cheap headphone amp.  Bypassing the iphone amp will require an external dac and camera connection kit to device the digital signal (minus iphone amp).  This will give the Magni a better signal and will result in better sound.  How much better is a gauge you can decide.

As for a Modi running from an iphone, I do not think so.  Not sure if the iphone has the 5 volt out on the lightning cable to trigger the handshake with the Modi, but a quick search of the Schiit product page should confirm or deny.

Good luck with your 650s.

Thank you. So basically you are saying the bottleneck in my current setup is the iPhone 6s amp even though the iPhone comes with a great DAC. That makes sense.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,278 of 2,577
How would one know that the iphone 6 has a good DAC, but a poor headphone amp? Is there some way to access the ANALOG audio output of the iphone 6 without going through the headphone jack?

Brian.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,279 of 2,577
How would one know that the iphone 6 has a good DAC, but a poor headphone amp? Is there some way to access the ANALOG audio output of the iphone 6 without going through the headphone jack?

Brian.

So I read this guy's blog, (google Ken Rockwell), who did some extensive test of the iPhone DAC. I am not sure how or if he found some ways to bypass the amp section of the iPhone. I might try to hook up the Magni through my Airport Express and try that out since presumably it's the same DAC as iPhone, but without the headphone amp (no volume control on the Airport Express).

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,280 of 2,577
So I read this guy's blog, (google Ken Rockwell), who did some extensive test of the iPhone DAC.

Ken Rockwell is rather controversial in the photography community. He writes well and makes a compelling case for his views. But he has some rather strange views that many people think are just flat out wrong. His credibility with me is ... questionable. I'm not shooting you down. I'm just giving some info you might not have.

I might try to hook up the Magni through my Airport Express and try that out since presumably it's the same DAC as iPhone, but without the headphone amp (no volume control on the Airport Express).

I don't think you can gain any useful information about the iphone6 by using an airport express. Even if they use the same DAC chip (which I don't know) it wouldn't necessarily mean anything, as the rest of the board, the analog section, etc, are almost certainly different.

Brian.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,281 of 2,577
  Hello People of "Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 (Uber) Thread!"
I'm new to Head-Fi, though I have read many reviews which helped me along my hifi life.
And this is my first post, so I'd like to introduce myself first. 
I'm a college student who found an interest in audio. I got no "golden ears," but I do enjoy some good sounding stuff.
My only audio source is my laptop and the PC I built. Which you can check out here: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/24f8TW
Obviously I have some Schiit goodies. I have Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber. 
Modi 2 U recieves SPDIF from my PC and USB from my laptop.
Magni 2 U serves as headphone amplifier paired with AKG K7XX and as a preamp connected to my 2.1.
My speakers are CEntrance Masterclass 2504, which I tell you are a great pair of speakers. And I have Jamo Sub210 hooked up for some bass when I need it.
For stereo amp, I recently got Emotiva Mini X A100 on sale replacing SMSL SA36A Pro. 
Overall I'm very satisfied with my setup that only costed me under 1000USD :)

I came across this thread looking for a solution to an issue on my Magni 2U.
The issue being a buzzing when adjusting the volume knob, which looking back couple pages seems pretty common.
I found out that I have to ground myself to get rid of that buzz.
I was wondering if there is a quick fix for this?

Hmm We may be on the same Wavelength. I have a Modi2U and Magni2U and Use this setup with Centrance MasterClass 2504's. Agreed those speakers are something else. I use a PSB Sub series 100 Sub.  I am using a Project Amplifier in this rig. I also Have an Emotiva Mini X A100 which i use in my living room with. I was considering the Mini X for the Masterclasses but it was to large for my desk.

I have not had the issue with the Volume control. So I cant Help you there

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,282 of 2,577
Second impression: after 2 days of extensive listening, and now connected through an Airport Express analog out into the Magni 2U, it's very apparent that Magni 2U's biggest improvement over iAnything is the clarity (resolution?). Basically instrument separation is very clear, and voice/solo instrument is very forward, echo-free. I also borrowed my friend's Denon AH5000, and at low gain and relative low volume, the difference is still fairly obvious, especially on pieces that involve bigger ensembles.

I also just ordered a Modi 2U. I am curious whether connecting the optical out from the Airport Express to the Modi 2U DAC would make further improvement or not. My guess is it's pretty marginal, in which case the Modi 2U would go back, but I have to check it out now. It's an expensive new hobby. :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,283 of 2,577
  Second impression: after 2 days of extensive listening, and now connected through an Airport Express analog out into the Magni 2U, it's very apparent that Magni 2U's biggest improvement over iAnything is the clarity (resolution?). Basically instrument separation is very clear, and voice/solo instrument is very forward, echo-free. I also borrowed my friend's Denon AH5000, and at low gain and relative low volume, the difference is still fairly obvious, especially on pieces that involve bigger ensembles.

I also just ordered a Modi 2U. I am curious whether connecting the optical out from the Airport Express to the Modi 2U DAC would make further improvement or not. My guess is it's pretty marginal, in which case the Modi 2U would go back, but I have to check it out now. It's an expensive new hobby. :)

The Quality of your Source is Key. The Modi 2 U is a Very good DAC. I would recommend trying multiple source before making an opinion. If the Airport express is anything like apple tv its not really the greatest source. Also What type Of Music are you streaming? MP3? Flac?

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,284 of 2,577
Hi Bigro, I read Airport Express transmits lossless without re-sampling to 48 kHz like Apple TV. I mostly listen to CD ripped into my iTunes via Apple lossless.

I will be getting the Modi 2U soon and will post my impression. Cheers.

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,285 of 2,577
How well does the Magni/Modi 2 Uber drive the audeze lcd-2?  I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the LCD-2 and am considering to get the schiit stack as well. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,286 of 2,577
Hi!

At the moment i'm using onboard audio and a pair of Shure SE215 and I can hear a little bit hiss but not that much at all tho. So, is it worth for me to get the Schiit stack? How much of a difference will i notice in the sound, if any? Or do I need to get better headphones to bring out the potiential of the Schiit stack?

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,287 of 2,577
  Hi!

At the moment i'm using onboard audio and a pair of Shure SE215 and I can hear a little bit hiss but not that much at all tho. So, is it worth for me to get the Schiit stack? How much of a difference will i notice in the sound, if any? Or do I need to get better headphones to bring out the potiential of the Schiit stack?

i would say no.
you probably can get rid of the hiss by purchasing the Modi (DAC).
but the Magni (Amp) wont do much, if any, difference.

in ear HPs usually have very low impedance.
so its not exactly about "better" headphone, HPs that aren't efficient will benefit from an Amp, those kind of HPs are mostly over\on ear ones. (HD600\650\700\800 ,DT770\880\990. HE 400\500\560)

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,288 of 2,577
On the Last Two Posts

The Hiss Can be coming from the On board Audio Port Itself. So There is a high possibility that using a USB DAC may get rid of the hiss. Be aware some laptops also have "dirty" USB Power which is out of your control and the DAC manufacturers Control, just crappy design on the Laptop manufacturers Part.

If you are using a Modi you will probably need an amplifier. There is only Line Level RCA Outputs on the Modi . And there is no Volume control.  Kind of like Buying a car with no gas or brake pedals.
Can the Modi alone drive those shure's? Possibly, but it was not designed to do that. which is probably why it lacks a headphone jack.

Another option is a Schiit fulla if you don't want to go all in right away. Cost is $79 and it is a Mini DAC/Amp Combo (keep In mind it only plays up to 24/96, Please verify on the schiit website). I have one and their is a noticeable difference compared to multiple on boards i have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back