*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 26, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,231 of 2,577
Will need to look into cheater plugs.

To summarize, I think I had FOUR problems overall:
1) Hiss caused by 'normal' noise from monitors when in idle state. A lot more than expected (expectation = complete silence, but that's just me :p They're closer to my ears than my previous setup)
2) Radio Interference on the left monitor, caused by Satan knows what. I THINK those are mostly gone, or inaudible
3) Mouse/PC noises leaking. I.e. if I used the scroll wheel, it would make a noise coming out of the speakers too. Not out of the headphones
4) Some weird mechanical-sounding crackle on the right monitor

So I ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 for its balanced outputs, and decided to also cleanup the wiring.
The SQ quality is, if anything equal, and if my ears hear correctly, better. So no issue there. Onto that hiss, pre-re-wiring.

If put my hand on the metal casing of either Magni (connected through RCA to the Focusrite but turned off) or the Focusrite, the hiss goes slightly down, though there's still interferences...
(note: interference happen even with the hardware turned off or disabled through Windows or both, so I'm going with cabling/ issues here).

Next: re-arranging cables, and trying without the Wyrd, since I didn't hear the interference before...

1) no cable plugged into the monitor = slight hiss (guessing that's floor noise, if so, higher than I'd think), but no radio interference. So cable is acting as an antenna
2) confirmed that either way, the right monitor has no RF interferences...
3) ended up with both setups on my desk, but only the Scarlett plugged in (without the Magni as headphone amp). I do seem to have a little less hiss this way, and I don't use headphones enough to really mind. I kept it connected to the Wyrd since I had no USB cables long enough and, well, it can't hurt I guess

Hiss and mechanical noises appear gone, and RF is gone too. I have no clue what of 1) re-wiring or 2) switching to balanced out on the Scarlett helped. One day I'll re-play it and be sure, but I'm too lazy now. I'm a musician so the Scarlett is always a welcome addition and the Magni/Modi can always be re-used at work or on a secondary setup.

Fingers crossed noises won't re-appear...

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,232 of 2,577

I have a pair of JBL LSR 305s plus a JBL LSR300S Subwoofer hooked to the preamp on my Magni 2U.  I get superb room filling audio in my 30 by 30 man cave.  There is really enough headroom to put all the volume you want into a room this size without distortion or loss of audio quality.  It is really quite impressive.  The source into the Magni/Modi stack is a MacBook Pro and the player software is JRiver Media Center 20.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,233 of 2,577
Well, after quite a bit of listening time, I decided to pull my Modi 2 Uber from my 2-channel stack. I was using it with a Wyrd and a Mac Mini 2009 to feed an integrated amp and speakers.

I experimented with three other DACs (2 external DAC and a disc spinner) and concluded that there is something missing from the Modi 2 Uber's lower mid-range. My remaining DAC examples sounded much closer together, with the Modi as sort-of an outlier, sound-wise.

I agree with reviews I've read that rave about the detail and clarity (higher frequencies); but the missing lower-mids is too apparent to ignore (which may explain the clarity comment, I suppose).

I've read something similar on reviews/posts outside of Head-Fi and I wonder if this DAC is really tuned to sound best with the Magni, as opposed to just analog out to an integrated amp + speakers.

Anyway, at $149.00 I can't really complain and I plan to pair this with a Schiit Vali for work use. We'll see how that goes...

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,234 of 2,577
I have a pair of JBL LSR 305s plus a JBL LSR300S Subwoofer hooked to the preamp on my Magni 2U.  I get superb room filling audio in my 30 by 30 man cave.  There is really enough headroom to put all the volume you want into a room this size without distortion or loss of audio quality.  It is really quite impressive.  The source into the Magni/Modi stack is a MacBook Pro and the player software is JRiver Media Center 20.

It can definitely push volume out! I'm beginning to like the added bit of warmth through the preamp actually.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,235 of 2,577

Do you notice hissing from JBL LSR 305S?  I am consider this issue before I decide to buy it, pls read this

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3p0tr4/lets_figure_out_jbl_lsr305_hissing/

Best Regards,

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,236 of 2,577
Well, after comparing between the three... Xonar Essence STX, Magni/Modi Uber stack, and my LG V10, I cannot tell a difference between them. I played an included .flac file from the phone (3100kbps - 2 minutes @ 44 MB) and to my ears, the soundstage, details, everything... sounded the same. Maybe these three devices are just really good, or maybe I just have bad ears and can get away with enjoying the sound from my AKG K812 with just about any device. Either way, I guess I'll be sending back the stack. I spent $360 for it on Amazon (was going to price match it with Discover to Schiit's $300 price), but that much money for negligible, if any audible difference, is not my cup of tea.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,237 of 2,577
  Well, after comparing between the three... Xonar Essence STX, Magni/Modi Uber stack, and my LG V10, I cannot tell a difference between them. I played an included .flac file from the phone (3100kbps - 2 minutes @ 44 MB) and to my ears, the soundstage, details, everything... sounded the same. Maybe these three devices are just really good, or maybe I just have bad ears and can get away with enjoying the sound from my AKG K812 with just about any device. Either way, I guess I'll be sending back the stack. I spent $360 for it on Amazon (was going to price match it with Discover to Schiit's $300 price), but that much money for negligible, if any audible difference, is not my cup of tea.

At the end of the day it's all about what sounds good to you. If you can save some $$$ even better.
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,238 of 2,577

Do you notice hissing from JBL LSR 305S?  I am consider this issue before I decide to buy it, pls read this

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/3p0tr4/lets_figure_out_jbl_lsr305_hissing/

Best Regards,

I am not an engineer, so I will tell you what I have observed in layman's terms.  Having reviewed the thread that you reference on reddit there are obviously several people who are experiencing this problem, but all I can do is give you my experiences.

I do not hear any hiss from these monitors.  My source is an Apple MacBook Pro 15" Retina (2014) with a 25" external monitor attached. I also have sitting next to the Apple a Sony Vaio All In One desktop computer running windows 10 - 27" monitor.  Both computer systems are powered up and running.  The JBL LSR305 monitors are on either side of this set-up about 8 feet apart. I am running from the MacBook Pro to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber with a standard USB cable - not "audio quality", just one I had in my desk drawer.  From the Modi 2 Uber to the Magni 2 Uber with the Schiit PSY RCA cables.From the Magni 2 Uber to a JBL LSR300S subwoofer with a 10 foot cable, RCA to XLR.  From the subwoofer to the JBL LSR305 monitors with balanced cables - XLR. 

With both computers up and running I turn on the DAC, Amp and speakers, turn the subwoofer, speakers and amp volumes all to maximum, and I do not hear any hiss, no matter how close I get to the front of the speakers.  My wife and my son both agreed no hiss was discernible.

I wish I could tell you why but as I said I am no engineer, just lucky I guess.  I have the DAC and amp plugged into a single outlet in the wall and I have the monitors and subwoofer plugged into another outlet through a surge protector so that I can switch them on all together.

Other than that I have not done anything special with my set-up.  As I said, I guess I am just lucky, but as long as this set-up keeps producing the sound it is now, I am going to leave it exactly as it is.  By the way, I get no discernible hiss through my Sennheiser HD-650s either.

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,239 of 2,577
Hi folks, my first post here (long time lurker though), please be gentile. I've created a rigid cross-connect for my Schiit Stack mainly to scratch my itch, but I figured might as well share it with the community, as I haven't found anything similar out there.

This is what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/dtKgD

Also the design is open source, including the BOM and the PCB design files, so feel free to make your own: http://introprose.com/opensourcing-the-rigid-cross-connect-4schiit.html

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,240 of 2,577
  Hi folks, my first post here (long time lurker though), please be gentile. I've created a rigid cross-connect for my Schiit Stack mainly to scratch my itch, but I figured might as well share it with the community, as I haven't found anything similar out there.

Also the design is open source, including the BOM and the PCB design files, so feel free to make your own: http://introprose.com/opensourcing-the-rigid-cross-connect-4schiit.html

i searched for something like this and couldnt find anything.
its awesome that someone managed to make the RCA bridge.

unfortuntly its too expensive for me to buy :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,241 of 2,577

Yep, David pointed Mike and I at this yesterday, and I think it is a very cool project. It really makes me want to do something like this, but I don't want to steal your thunder.

(If we were to do this, I'd probably overcomplicate it, looking at a flex board and a neoprene sleeve, with custom male PCB-mount RCAs...which would then probably blow the idea out of the water, unless the volume was huge...and we have other fish to fry.)

Aaanndd...for everyone waiting for us to do something like this: IT IS NOT IN THE WORKS. If you want this, buy this! It is very cool! 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #1,243 of 2,577

I just ordered one. If I can get it by Thursday will show it at the NY Head-Fi meet on Saturday.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,244 of 2,577

Yep, David pointed Mike and I at this yesterday, and I think it is a very cool project. It really makes me want to do something like this, but I don't want to steal your thunder.

(If we were to do this, I'd probably overcomplicate it, looking at a flex board and a neoprene sleeve, with custom male PCB-mount RCAs...which would then probably blow the idea out of the water, unless the volume was huge...and we have other fish to fry.)

Aaanndd...for everyone waiting for us to do something like this: IT IS NOT IN THE WORKS. If you want this, buy this! It is very cool! 

Wow, thank you for the kind words! I am happy you like the concept, and kudos on keeping your finger on the pulse of community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back