*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 24, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,217 of 2,577
I got my Uber stack this past week. Comparing it directly to my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, I am noticing no real difference. I thought I would considering the impedance mismatch with my cans and noisy environment of the card being in my computer. My headphones are AKG K812 which sound phenomenal with either DAC/amp. I am only listening to Google Play music .mp3's through their website though, and playing PC games. K812's sound pretty good on my Note 5 as well, just less volume.

Thoughts?

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,218 of 2,577
  I got my Uber stack this past week. Comparing it directly to my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, I am noticing no real difference. I thought I would considering the impedance mismatch with my cans and noisy environment of the card being in my computer. My headphones are AKG K812 which sound phenomenal with either DAC/amp. I am only listening to Google Play music .mp3's through their website though, and playing PC games. K812's sound pretty good on my Note 5 as well, just less volume.

Thoughts?

people compared the STX to MODI\ODAC and ,as you, found no difference.
guess its a good soundcard :)

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,219 of 2,577

Thoughts?

Try a different source. Google Play mp3 streaming is ok for casual listening. Try some Flac files or a CD. You should notice a difference.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #1,220 of 2,577
I'm using the Fiio X5 as a DAC, thinking of getting a proper desktop DAC that would be an upgrade.
Anyone using or used the X5 as a DAC and compare it to other mid-level DACs like the modi / modi 2.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #1,221 of 2,577
  Try a different source. Google Play mp3 streaming is ok for casual listening. Try some Flac files or a CD. You should notice a difference.

Well Google Play .mp3's (320 kbps) are all I listen to. I'm not going to look for a difference somewhere that I will never notice it otherwise. Wouldn't something like Battlefield show a difference considering the audio files for that are pretty substantial? I tried doing direct comparisons of the same sounds, and they sounded the exact same.

What kind of differences am I looking for exactly? The only thing I might be able to notice is the Schiit stack sometimes seems to be a hair brighter in certain treble frequencies... but I'd never notice it if I weren't trying to, and that might just all be in my head.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,222 of 2,577
  So, back in Luxembourg I had a Fiio E17 DAC/amp, going to ATH-M50s (rarely) and a pair of Adam A3Xs. It was very quiet, and very enjoyable.

I gave my Adams away when I moved to the US and re-built my rig:
Modi2 -> Magni2 Uber -> Rokit 5 G3s

Unfortunately I started getting some weird and, worst, distracting, interference. White noise, and a very faint radio-like signal through the left speaker.
I got a Wyrd but it seemed to just make it worse (hadn't noticed the radio noise pre-Wyrd).

Turns out I had a power and sound cable running in parallel. DOH. So that's corrected...

I am STILL hearing a slight hiss/white noise... And with headphones, I get some weird electronic noises in the right ear only. I can't seem to get rid of it. Funnily enough, plugging in a pair of Momentums didn't seem to produce the noise.
It's VERY distracting. Added to this that American houses are built out of paper and I can't play music very loud, all I hear is the noise :frowning2: Any ideas on how to improve the situation? I did make sure that no power and audio lines cross run in parallel.

I'm worried it may be due to my power: I have 2 x outlets only, with multiplug. One's a furman with surge protector and has 1 x Rokit, 1 x lamp, Wyrd, LCD screen. The other has a multi-plug with Magni2 + 1 x Rokit. Only the PC doesn't share an outlet.

I'd comment on sound quality, but:
1) The Rokit are definitely a step down to the Adam... bassier, less balanced. Sound nice, mind, and I knew about it: they're definitely cheaper stuff
2) I am only just re-ripping my CD collection to lossless (+300CDs... will take a while...) so I've not quite used the combo to its full potential!
However there is definitely nothing to complain about either; when free of the noise distractions I'll be able to better audit the stack.

Thanks for any tips!

Is your Magni gain switch set to low gain?

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,223 of 2,577
  Well Google Play .mp3's (320 kbps) are all I listen to. I'm not going to look for a difference somewhere that I will never notice it otherwise. Wouldn't something like Battlefield show a difference considering the audio files for that are pretty substantial? I tried doing direct comparisons of the same sounds, and they sounded the exact same.

What kind of differences am I looking for exactly? The only thing I might be able to notice is the Schiit stack sometimes seems to be a hair brighter in certain treble frequencies... but I'd never notice it if I weren't trying to, and that might just all be in my head.

For example the difference between say the Fiio X3 with a E12 amp is jaw dropping. Much better detail soundstage instrument  separation clarity. The Fiio combo sounds very good but the Schiit stack takes it to a whole different level.
Also keep in mind that this all subjective. The Schiit might not work for you. My point in trying a different source is to see if you notice a difference if so then its your source

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,224 of 2,577

For example the difference between say the Fiio X3 with a E12 amp is jaw dropping. Much better detail soundstage instrument  separation clarity. The Fiio combo sounds very good but the Schiit stack takes it to a whole different level.
Also keep in mind that this all subjective. The Schiit might not work for you. My point in trying a different source is to see if you notice a difference if so then its your source

This with all the headphones you own? 
Please share more details on your experience with the HD600.
Looking to get some stack but have doubts, Little Dot MkII is making my decision difficult.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,225 of 2,577

This with all the headphones you own? 
Please share more details on your experience with the HD600.
Looking to get some stack but have doubts, Little Dot MkII is making my decision difficult.

The HD600 with the M/M Uber stack is outstanding. I would say a end game in open headphones for me. I just got the Audeze EL-8 closed as a companion for my HD600 and I may even like them better. Something I thought I would never say. I haven't heard Little Dot so I can't say anything about the difference. Again all subjective but I feel the M/M Uber is hard to beat for the $. I have little or no interest in upgrading them.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #1,228 of 2,577
  Yes it is. And Modi set to normal (non-advanced) mode.

Sorry to hear but it looks like something may have gone wrong. Since the Modi and Magni do not ground to the AC mains due to their 2 prong wall warts, it is unlikely that you have a ground loop.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,229 of 2,577
Yep... that's not even the worst thing: at regular intervals, the right speaker will make some noises too. Not tied in to specific PC activities. It just starts adding a layer of noise to whatever playing. Very hard to describe.

I ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and some TRS cables to have a balanced system, which should hopefully take care of the interference... We'll see! Can always recycle the Modi/Magni without issues so while it sucks I'm not getting a clean signal, it's not the end of the world.
If I manage to get off my butt this afternoon I may re-do all my wiring on my current setup too, who knows...

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,230 of 2,577
  So, back in Luxembourg I had a Fiio E17 DAC/amp, going to ATH-M50s (rarely) and a pair of Adam A3Xs. It was very quiet, and very enjoyable.

I gave my Adams away when I moved to the US and re-built my rig:
Modi2 -> Magni2 Uber -> Rokit 5 G3s

Unfortunately I started getting some weird and, worst, distracting, interference. White noise, and a very faint radio-like signal through the left speaker.
I got a Wyrd but it seemed to just make it worse (hadn't noticed the radio noise pre-Wyrd).

Turns out I had a power and sound cable running in parallel. DOH. So that's corrected...

I am STILL hearing a slight hiss/white noise... And with headphones, I get some weird electronic noises in the right ear only. I can't seem to get rid of it. Funnily enough, plugging in a pair of Momentums didn't seem to produce the noise.
It's VERY distracting. Added to this that American houses are built out of paper and I can't play music very loud, all I hear is the noise :frowning2: Any ideas on how to improve the situation? I did make sure that no power and audio lines cross run in parallel.

I'm worried it may be due to my power: I have 2 x outlets only, with multiplug. One's a furman with surge protector and has 1 x Rokit, 1 x lamp, Wyrd, LCD screen. The other has a multi-plug with Magni2 + 1 x Rokit. Only the PC doesn't share an outlet.

I'd comment on sound quality, but:
1) The Rokit are definitely a step down to the Adam... bassier, less balanced. Sound nice, mind, and I knew about it: they're definitely cheaper stuff
2) I am only just re-ripping my CD collection to lossless (+300CDs... will take a while...) so I've not quite used the combo to its full potential!
However there is definitely nothing to complain about either; when free of the noise distractions I'll be able to better audit the stack.

Thanks for any tips!

Try using a cheater plug on your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back