*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 13, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #1,171 of 2,577
  I always turn on the Schiit first (in my case the Asgard 2) and then connect the headphones.
Somehow thats common practice for me. What if something is blown when turning on the amp and you have your phones connected (thats mostly the reason I always connect it after turning on),

well, if the magni wasnt so hot i would have just kept it ON :\

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,173 of 2,577
Hi fellow Schiit listeners!

I have purchased a modi2 as part of my easy PC listening rig. The modi2 sits on S mode so uses standard drivers, has no external power requirements so was perfect for an easy and lazy listening solution. (My main rig has 6-7 switches to get into listening mode "on")

Great little box, fantastic value. Using it with a Mapletree tube amp, Grado SR225 Cans, Chord indigo interconnect and Nordost USB cable. It is the cheapest part of the chain LOL. Only one "on" switch and that's not on the modi2. Its on when the PC is and that's most of the time!

Works in games fine as well, works with Spotify, works with Foobar enough said. Im slightly deaf in one ear and need +12dB on right channel - it works with Windows volume controls for this

Sorted!

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,174 of 2,577
I have been listening to Magni 2 uber + Modi 2 uber for a couple months and have really enjoyed the sound. I needed some extra cash and considered selling the set. To test their value to me I recently performed a blind test comparing the Magni/Modi to my Nexus 5 smartphone and had real difficulty discerning the two. I was comparing both sources using a set of Grado sr80e headphones. Am I missing something?

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,175 of 2,577
  I have been listening to Magni 2 uber + Modi 2 uber for a couple months and have really enjoyed the sound. I needed some extra cash and considered selling the set. To test their value to me I recently performed a blind test comparing the Magni/Modi to my Nexus 5 smartphone and had real difficulty discerning the two. I was comparing both sources using a set of Grado sr80e headphones. Am I missing something?

do you listen to cd quality music or higher? or compressed lossy formats?

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,179 of 2,577
I'm using the Fiio X5 as dac with my laptop and an E12, thinking of getting a schiit dac, magni2.

Straight to question:
Is the magni2 better than the X5 as a dac?

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #1,180 of 2,577
I can use my new combos finally,  when I plug it to my HIFIMAN HE-400, the sound is awful, very small... smaller than my Apogee Groove. It is totally out of my expectation and want to turn it back to Schitt immediately. Well, I try to give it more patience and read the manual.... haha actually I need switch it to Hi-Gain in the Magni 2 Uber. Wow after I switch it to the Hi-Gain, the world is totally difference. Between with Groove and Schitt combos, I think Schitt Combos more clearly when I listen Chet Baker. It is just my first impression about Schitt Combos. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,181 of 2,577
  I can use my new combos finally,  when I plug it to my HIFIMAN HE-400, the sound is awful, very small... smaller than my Apogee Groove. It is totally out of my expectation and want to turn it back to Schitt immediately. Well, I try to give it more patience and read the manual.... haha actually I need switch it to Hi-Gain in the Magni 2 Uber. Wow after I switch it to the Hi-Gain, the world is totally difference. Between with Groove and Schitt combos, I think Schitt Combos more clearly when I listen Chet Baker. It is just my first impression about Schitt Combos. 

why HI gain?
LOW gain doesnt give you enough volume?

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #1,182 of 2,577
Yes, Lo-Gain cannot drive my HE-400... Very small sound and bass.... Need to switch it to Hi-Gain. Also in the manual, they said " Select Hi or Lo gain, depending on your headphones. IEMs and earbud style hp will probably need LO gain. If you don't enough volume control range, use LO gain."

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,184 of 2,577

Ahh that is exactly what I experienced with my Asgard 2.
I didn't have anything else to compare it with (only straight out of a laptop and tablet) so when I first
connected my HE-400 it was okay. Sound was nice but I wasn't blown away.
Thats until I switched it to high gain. And I'm not talking about the volume being louder or having
more headroom to turn the knob etc. The sound comes alive, for me especially the mids come more
to the front.
I've asked it a few times what it is and how/why this is happening and most say that it should not
change the sound, just louder. Well it really isn't the case, at least not with the HE-400.
It's just wonderful.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #1,185 of 2,577
  so on LO gain with the pot at max the 400 isnt loud enough?
weird...
my 400i is fine with the LO gain.
both are 35 ohm.

I did max all volume to the amp and the PC volume, it just small ... Have you compare it to other amp ? I use Apogee Groove first and bought these combos second. So I can tell if I use the Lo-Gain that is really worse than Groove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back