*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Sep 3, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #1,036 of 2,577
  I usually use high gain mode when using the magni 2ü with headphones.
Is there any reason to switch to low gain when using the preamp instead, going out to a luxman l200 amp driving my speakers or can I just leave it in high gain?

I don't know about your ear but High Gain makes sibilant and the detail flies away with it, I always use Low Gain and I recommend it. If Low Gain has enough sound, Low is the best.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #1,037 of 2,577
  I don't know about your ear but High Gain makes sibilant and the detail flies away with it, I always use Low Gain and I recommend it. If Low Gain has enough sound, Low is the best.

after making my initial post, I compared my headphones with different gain settings. It seems to me that the K612 sounds more effortlessly to me on high gain while the KXX tends to be slightly unprecise on high and indeed more detailed, more intimate on low gain. But it may just be placebo.
Still, would there be a technical reason to only use low gain when playing via an external amplifier via preamp out?

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,038 of 2,577
  after making my initial post, I compared my headphones with different gain settings. It seems to me that the K612 sounds more effortlessly to me on high gain while the KXX tends to be slightly unprecise on high and indeed more detailed, more intimate on low gain. But it may just be placebo.
Still, would there be a technical reason to only use low gain when playing via an external amplifier via preamp out?

Now I really wonder about that matter. Really, can someone make a scientific explanation about it?

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #1,039 of 2,577
With the Schiit Magni 2 Uber's specifications: running 32 ohms at 1.5W RMS per channel as opposed to the Asgard's 1W
, does this make the Schiit Asgard 2 obsolete? Are there any benefits to getting the Asgard 2 anymore? The main problem I have with the Asgard 2 is the heat. Has anyone done any comparisons with the sound quality of the Magni 2 Uber versus the Asgard 2? Is it even worth considering the Asgard 2 anymore?

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #1,040 of 2,577
  With the Schiit Magni 2 Uber's specifications: running 32 ohms at 1.5W RMS per channel as opposed to the Asgard's 1W
, does this make the Schiit Asgard 2 obsolete? Are there any benefits to getting the Asgard 2 anymore? The main problem I have with the Asgard 2 is the heat. Has anyone done any comparisons with the sound quality of the Magni 2 Uber versus the Asgard 2? Is it even worth considering the Asgard 2 anymore?

As George Orwell used to say: " All watts are equal, but some watts are more equal than others". Asgard has real power supply, vs Magni's wall-wart.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,042 of 2,577

Only got to hear the Magni 2 Uber for a brief time at the last Denver meet.  To me there is a meaningful jump up in quality to the Asgard2.  The magni is a very good entry level amp that sounds better than lots of amps at or near that price.  As you move up you get better bass and more openness as on might expect in going up a line in amps.

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,043 of 2,577
  Only got to hear the Magni 2 Uber for a brief time at the last Denver meet.  To me there is a meaningful jump up in quality to the Asgard2.  The magni is a very good entry level amp that sounds better than lots of amps at or near that price.  As you move up you get better bass and more openness as on might expect in going up a line in amps.

Although I have and love my A2, under a proper A/B test, I doubt that anyone could really hear a difference. Beware of expectation and loose comparisons, us carbon units make for bad witnesses.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #1,044 of 2,577

MrSpeakers Alpha Prime

I just ordered these phones and was wondering if you could comment how they do with the magni/modi stack. I have the v1s though. They'll likely be running on an Oppo HA-1 (home) most the time but I may bring them to work occasionally where the stack is.

Sep 10, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,046 of 2,577
Guys, I'm hearing some noise by touching the volume pot of magni2u. I haven't changed the power outlet and it just.. became to buzz when I  touch it. Any inputs to solve it ?

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,047 of 2,577
  Guys, I'm hearing some noise by touching the volume pot of magni2u. I haven't changed the power outlet and it just.. became to buzz when I  touch it. Any inputs to solve it ?

It's a common issue, many of us had it, has to do with poor grounding. Mine was humming in one room, and was dead silent in another. Try switching the outlets.  Good luck.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,048 of 2,577
  Although I have and love my A2, under a proper A/B test, I doubt that anyone could really hear a difference. Beware of expectation and loose comparisons, us carbon units make for bad witnesses.

I went for the A2, but I was seriously considering the Magni 2 Uber (or the Lyr2) as well.
Even though I know the Magni 2 has a few 0.x watts more I still wanted the A2.
Never had an amp/dac for my headphones before so I had to start somewhere.
Having had an education as an engineer and building my own amps (but it's been really a long time ago) I know how
important good power supplies are and I figured the A2 has a 'heavier' PSU/higher condensators then the
Magni2 and that was one of the things that pulled me towards the A2.
Also bought the Modi2Uber - but I really wish there was something in between the Modi2 and the Bifrost (with USB) as
I think the price difference is too big. I would have bought the Bifrost (or that something in between with USB) if
it had been somewhat cheaper. Though I might get the Bifrost some day, even if it's just so that I can stack it.
(wonder if there's a bigger housing for the Modi2 :) )
Till then I'm enjoying the A2/Modi2Uber with my HE-400 immensely.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,049 of 2,577

I went for the A2, but I was seriously considering the Magni 2 Uber (or the Lyr2) as well.
Even though I know the Magni 2 has a few 0.x watts more I still wanted the A2.
Never had an amp/dac for my headphones before so I had to start somewhere.
Having had an education as an engineer and building my own amps (but it's been really a long time ago) I know how
important good power supplies are and I figured the A2 has a 'heavier' PSU/higher condensators then the
Magni2 and that was one of the things that pulled me towards the A2.
Also bought the Modi2Uber - but I really wish there was something in between the Modi2 and the Bifrost (with USB) as
I think the price difference is too big. I would have bought the Bifrost (or that something in between with USB) if
it had been somewhat cheaper. Though I might get the Bifrost some day, even if it's just so that I can stack it.
(wonder if there's a bigger housing for the Modi2 :) )
Till then I'm enjoying the A2/Modi2Uber with my HE-400 immensely.

Once the capacitors in the power supply are at the proper values, increasing them does little or nothing meaningful to contribute. I suspect the guys at Schiit got it right in both amps. I also supsect that you will continue to enjoy the stack, "immensely."

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,050 of 2,577
  Once the capacitors in the power supply are at the proper values, increasing them does little or nothing meaningful to contribute. I suspect the guys at Schiit got it right in both amps. I also supsect that you will continue to enjoy the stack, "immensely."

Indeed :)
(and yes the correct english word is capacitors - sometimes I just translate words too much from dutch)
At one point you just choose the things you want and have your eyes set on and it's all is good.
I'm sure I would have enjoyed the Magni2 as well.
(but then again why would there be any more expensive amps if the Magni2 or A2 would drive most, if not all headphones fine?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back