*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Aug 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,021 of 2,577

Thanks a lot, very interesting. I am still trying to understand the consequences under the normal listening condition. So if I understood well, they increased the current, which is needed for the lower ohmic HPs, but lowered the voltage which is needed for the high ohmic HP's. Do you have any idea why would they do that, and what would be the consequences for the + 300 ohms HPs? Also, reading between the lines, do you think that the 50% price difference between non-über and über are not quite justified? Thanks in advance. 

The lower the impedance the more current and less voltage are the issues for delivering power, the higher impedances are the other way around, one needs more voltage and less current to achieve the same level of power. Add the sensitivity of the headphone into the calculations and then you can determine the power and hence voltage/current requirements. For example I have a air of Hifiman HE-500's that the Magni can power, however, a pair of Hifiman HE-6's are less sensitive and require more power, more than a Magni can deliver. Not to worry as the Magni has enough power for most headphones.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #1,023 of 2,577
The lower the impedance the more current and less voltage are the issues for delivering power, the higher impedances are the other way around, one needs more voltage and less current to achieve the same level of power. Add the sensitivity of the headphone into the calculations and then you can determine the power and hence voltage/current requirements. For example I have a air of Hifiman HE-500's that the Magni can power, however, a pair of Hifiman HE-6's are less sensitive and require more power, more than a Magni can deliver. Not to worry as the Magni has enough power for most headphones.

So a regular Magni 2 will be able to power my HD650s I'm getting sufficiently?

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,024 of 2,577

260 mW RMS into 300 Ohms on the HD650 should yield almost 122 dB SPL, continuously. I'd say the regular Magni can do an excellent job burning the ears off the sides of one's head. Yep plenty of power. 
eek.gif

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #1,027 of 2,577
  Just ordered my schiit stack and can't wait to get it, I just have one question, what would be the best headphones for listening to electronic? Mainly Uppermost. I am think the hd650, because the Magni 2 uber can easily drive it.

Magni2 or uber are both fine.  I run my HD650 out of a Magni 2 uber and it sounds excellent.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,028 of 2,577
I've got a pair of Senn HD598's and AKG K550's. Currently running off of my Creative sound blaster Z. 

Thinking about the Modi2UB/Magni2UB stack. Is this the best $300 bucks I can spend or is there a better option out there? Going for the Uber on both because I have a pair of studio monitors I would run off the preamp and I'm sure I would find a use for the optical on the Modi

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #1,029 of 2,577
  I've got a pair of Senn HD598's and AKG K550's. Currently running off of my Creative sound blaster Z. 

Thinking about the Modi2UB/Magni2UB stack. Is this the best $300 bucks I can spend or is there a better option out there? Going for the Uber on both because I have a pair of studio monitors I would run off the preamp and I'm sure I would find a use for the optical on the Modi

You can't beat the M2U pair for versatility, sound and price. By the way the HD598's don't need much amplification and can run off of almost any smartphone or DAP.

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,030 of 2,577
I'm just about to push the buy button on the Modi 2 Uber, but I'm a bit unclear if it will work connected to my work windows laptop without installing drivers for 24/192?(It still should work up to 24/96?)

I notice the non uber version have a phsycial switch on the back, but the Uber doesn't. Thats why I wonder if the Uber is "locked" to UAC-2?

Edit: After long search I've found out that Uber is locked to UAC-2 and drivers are needed for this. Then no uber for me....

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,031 of 2,577
  I'm just about to push the buy button on the Modi 2 Uber, but I'm a bit unclear if it will work connected to my work windows laptop without installing drivers for 24/192?(It still should work up to 24/96?)

I notice the non uber version have a phsycial switch on the back, but the Uber doesn't. Thats why I wonder if the Uber is "locked" to UAC-2?

Edit: After long search I've found out that Uber is locked to UAC-2 and drivers are needed for this. Then no uber for me....

Will your company not allow you to install drivers on their work computer, but they allow you to listen to music while you work???

FYI, The switch on the back is for power on the uber since it is not powered by usb.  It does not have anything to do with usb audio 2.0.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,032 of 2,577
  Will your company not allow you to install drivers on their work computer, but they allow you to listen to music while you work???

FYI, The switch on the back is for power on the uber since it is not powered by usb.  It does not have anything to do with usb audio 2.0.

They're a bit overprotective over the computers and network here at my company.

We can listen to streaming music from the net, radio or Spotify.

I work in an office and my job is to answer and send enquirys on email, and search for parts/components for use in upcoming produtions, so no problem with listening to music while I work...with headphones. 

And even if i got the drivers, I would need Jriver or Foobar or something like that to take advantage of it and that's certainlay a no-no here.

I'll go for the "regular" Modi 2 and the Wyrd I think.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,033 of 2,577
Have you guys ever wondered what the Modi 2 Uber looks like inside? Now's your chance to check it out, because I finally x-rayed it!

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,035 of 2,577
I usually use high gain mode when using the magni 2ü with headphones.
Is there any reason to switch to low gain when using the preamp instead, going out to a luxman l200 amp driving my speakers or can I just leave it in high gain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back