*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Sep 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,051 of 2,577

Indeed :)
(and yes the correct english word is capacitors - sometimes I just translate words too much from dutch)
At one point you just choose the things you want and have your eyes set on and it's all is good.
I'm sure I would have enjoyed the Magni2 as well.
(but then again why would there be any more expensive amps if the Magni2 or A2 would drive most, if not all headphones fine?).

Call the reason marketing driven revenue. Also some people want fancier enclosures and doodads or bragging rights. There are some headphones, not many, that require more power. Also electrostatic headphones require a different type of amp.

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,052 of 2,577

It's a common issue, many of us had it, has to do with poor grounding. Mine was humming in one room, and was dead silent in another. Try switching the outlets.  Good luck.

Thanks! 
How bad is it for durability of the gear ? 

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,054 of 2,577
Call the reason marketing driven revenue. Also some people want fancier enclosures and doodads or bragging rights. There are some headphones, not many, that require more power. Also electrostatic headphones require a different type of amp.

I think my biggest problem with the Magni was that they put the volume knob too damn close to the headphone jack. It's still a slight annoyance on the A2, but not nearly as bad.

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,055 of 2,577
I think my biggest problem with the Magni was that they put the volume knob too damn close to the headphone jack. It's still a slight annoyance on the A2, but not nearly as bad.

But we can all take comfort in the sound. 
happy_face1.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,060 of 2,577
I'm now feeding modi2u through optical with a Xonar DX. My main idea was to switch between pure stereo via USB to music and DPS/effects via optical to gaming. Turns out that Xonar DX has a ~hi-fi~ mode that disables the effects. 

WOW. I'm not sure if it's placebo effect or something else but the sound is better. I can hear details and things I couldn't before. And movie/gaming experience is way more immersive.
Highly recommended.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,061 of 2,577
Hey, liraop, are you getting better sound because you're using optical now, or is it the Xonar DX itself improving the sound? Or maybe both? o.O

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,062 of 2,577
I Currently have the Magni 2U driving AKG K7XX headphones. My source is my on-board soundcard but its a decent motherboard (Rampage IV Extreme).

I noticed a huge change in quality when switching to the Magni even on a poor set of headphones.

What sort of improvement can I expect from switching to optical to the Modi 2U?

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,063 of 2,577
  I Currently have the Magni 2U driving AKG K7XX headphones. My source is my on-board soundcard but its a decent motherboard (Rampage IV Extreme).

I noticed a huge change in quality when switching to the Magni even on a poor set of headphones.

What sort of improvement can I expect from switching to optical to the Modi 2U?

not a huge improvement but worth it. going from mobo to modi did yield an improvement but I really noticed the benefits of the Modi when using it as a DAC with my raspberryPi piCorePlayer music server. HUGE boost in sound quality going from the 3.5mm output to using modi as DAC with that setup, so I know a DAC can make a big difference.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #1,064 of 2,577
  Hey, liraop, are you getting better sound because you're using optical now, or is it the Xonar DX itself improving the sound? Or maybe both? o.O

xonar via optical. I realize that separation and definition is also better. I've recently changed the OS (from OS X to W10) so.. there's a bunch of things to test.
I tested the pure USB and the optical and... I don't think it's placebo. Xonar Optical > USB.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #1,065 of 2,577

xonar via optical. I realize that separation and definition is also better. I've recently changed the OS (from OS X to W10) so.. there's a bunch of things to test.
I tested the pure USB and the optical and... I don't think it's placebo. Xonar Optical > USB.

Unless you can switch back and forth within a few seconds (less than about 4) and have the volumes carefully matched you will not be able to do an accurate comaprison due to:
1) The limitations of Human Echoic Memory.
2) Equal Loudness Contours/Fletcher-Munson.
Both are human conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back