*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Aug 26, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,006 of 2,577

How hot is it where you live at the moment ?? This can drastically change the Temp of your devices. I'm in winter now, and I have had my Modi/Magni 2Ü on for 2 weeks straight and they barely register a Temp. Same goes with my MBP, but in summer my MBP can spin those fans like it is in Ibiza clubbing 24/7 . . .  In normal circumstances, it shouldn't be hot to touch.

The ambient temp in my room is currently at 80F. The Magni doesn't get HOT but it is definitely a little higher than say, warm. My main question is are they supposed to get warm/hot even when they're not being used? I don't have any audio playing so it's just idle at the moment. My impression is that it's supposed to get warm only when being driven.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #1,007 of 2,577
  It looks good but I'll be going to Cyprus few days later. I can't wait for China post. This is the reason I'm not able to send Modi to warranty. Cyprus doesn't accept shippings from any country and I'll will be stay there until January.

By the way sound looks colder with Toslink compared to USB. Is this normal or is it my 2$ salvaged Toslink which I'm using now?

I had exactly the same feeling, although would rather have some representative measurements.

There were some older posts in other forums by Puma Cat stating that "TosLink is still inferior to other digital interfaces, except perhaps adaptive USB (non-asynchronous). The reason is that TosLink is limited in bandwidth to 3MHz. Even the higher-end glass-fiber TosLink cables don't sound as good as coax or AES/EBU. The new fourth edition of The Complete Guide to High-End Audio still recommends avoiding TosLink if at all possible. Many cable boxes and satellite receivers offer only TosLink, however. –
Answered by Robert Harley, ​
October 07, 2012 6:22 p.m"  ​

For me still not so easy to grasp. It would be nice if somebody could explain this in more depth. Because bits are bits, right? And at the final output the very same DAC chip converts all the signals, wherever they came. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #1,008 of 2,577
  The ambient temp in my room is currently at 80F. The Magni doesn't get HOT but it is definitely a little higher than say, warm. My main question is are they supposed to get warm/hot even when they're not being used? I don't have any audio playing so it's just idle at the moment. My impression is that it's supposed to get warm only when being driven.

Yes, it gets pleasantly warm even without the load, but not hot. IMO it's quite normal. It depends a lot on the ambient temperature. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #1,009 of 2,577

I had exactly the same feeling, although would rather have some representative measurements.

There were some older posts in other forums by Puma Cat stating that "TosLink is still inferior to other digital interfaces, except perhaps adaptive USB (non-asynchronous). The reason is that TosLink is limited in bandwidth to 3MHz. Even the higher-end glass-fiber TosLink cables don't sound as good as coax or AES/EBU. The new fourth edition of The Complete Guide to High-End Audio still recommends avoiding TosLink if at all possible. Many cable boxes and satellite receivers offer only TosLink, however. –
Answered by Robert Harley, ​
October 07, 2012 6:22 p.m"  ​

For me still not so easy to grasp. It would be nice if somebody could explain this in more depth. Because bits are bits, right? And at the final output the very same DAC chip converts all the signals, wherever they came. 

Hmm... Thank you for that. 
Is there a way of using Coax with my Asus Mainboarded PC? I can try that. 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,011 of 2,577
For people who have one Uber and one regular for the stack, would you say the finish is drastically different? I looked up some photos but it's a bit hard to tell based just on what I see because of things like lightning and what not. I don't need any of the features of the Modi 2 Uber but I'm considering it anyway just for the matching finish.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,013 of 2,577
  From what I've seen the benefits of the Modi 2 Uber are dedicated power and ability to use optical input. What are the reasons you chose  the Mangi 2 Uber over the regular Magni 2?

I personally upgraded from the Magni to the Magni 2 non uber because I do not have headphones that are over 300 ohms to drive. And I also have the Modi 2 non uber but I am thinking about upgrading to the uber Version of the Modi 2 so I can have an optical input for my PS4.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,014 of 2,577
  From what I've seen the benefits of the Modi 2 Uber are dedicated power and ability to use optical input. What are the reasons you chose  the Mangi 2 Uber over the regular Magni 2?

I wanted the preamps and the extra power. I believe amps play a larger role in what sound comes through than dacs do. I've never had any problems with noisy usb ports and I don't need more than one input.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #1,015 of 2,577

Depends how difficult to drive are your headphones. Even if you don't need extra power at the moment, you never know what your next purchase will be. For me, buying Über was to secure the freer choice of buying new headphones in the future, without being limited by the amp.

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,016 of 2,577
Depends how difficult to drive are your headphones. Even if you don't need extra power at the moment, you never know what your next purchase will be. For me, buying Über was to secure the freer choice of buying new headphones in the future, without being limited by the amp.

That makes sense, the person I'm buying my HD650s from is selling a Magni 2 for too good of a price to pass up. So if I feel the need to upgrade to the Uber in the future I won't be out any money if I can sell the Magni 2.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #1,017 of 2,577

If you do the math, you will find that the power differences in dB between the Uber and non-Uber aren't significant.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #1,018 of 2,577
  If you do the math, you will find that the power differences in dB between the Uber and non-Uber aren't significant.

Looking at the sheer power output, completely agree with you. But Über has 3x larger power supply.
Magni2's "8VA 16VAC trans., with + 4,000uF filter capacitance" vs Über's " 24VA 14VAC trans. with + 6,000uf filter capacitance". I assume that should make some difference. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,019 of 2,577

Looking at the sheer power output, completely agree with you. But Über has 3x larger power supply.
Magni2's "8VA 16VAC trans., with + 4,000uF filter capacitance" vs Über's " 24VA 14VAC trans. with + 6,000uf filter capacitance". I assume that should make some difference. 

Not really, unless insufficient current is available, a larger voltage is needed for a power difference. Doubling RMS voltage yields a dBV power potential increase. According to what you quoted the voltage was lowered, but the current capacity was increased. We're looking at small differences. Perhaps the larger outboard wallwart/transformer was the result of what could be purchased in volume. I like the nicer case.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,020 of 2,577
  Not really, unless insufficient current is available, a larger voltage is needed for a power difference. Doubling RMS voltage yields a dBV power potential increase. According to what you quoted the voltage was lowered, but the current capacity was increased. We're looking at small differences. Perhaps the larger outboard wallwart/transformer was the result of what could be purchased in volume. I like the nicer case.

Thanks a lot, very interesting. I am still trying to understand the consequences under the normal listening condition. So if I understood well, they increased the current, which is needed for the lower ohmic HPs, but lowered the voltage which is needed for the high ohmic HP's. Do you have any idea why would they do that, and what would be the consequences for the + 300 ohms HPs? Also, reading between the lines, do you think that the 50% price difference between non-über and über are not quite justified? Thanks in advance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back