Official K-81 DJ thread
Aug 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,642 of 2,661
Didn't know the K81 had it's own thread on Head-Fi, or I just forgot.

The k81 was my second headphone purchase when I was getting into high end audio. It was defo a great bass heavy headphone as well as a sturdy and reliable gigging headphone. ^_^

- EpicPie

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2,643 of 2,661
really interested in picking one of these up but concerned if it'll fit my head.

my head is big.  huge.  when i had it the M-80 barely fit it if fully extended.  after stretching it got better but i kinda had to pull it down for it to cover my ears properly, so it was always snug.  will these be a similar fit, or larger/smaller?  i did try the Q460 briefly as it was on sale and immediately returned it because it just did not fit (the cups were resting on the top parts of my earlobes, that's the furthest they'd go).  are the k81dj the same size/"length" when extended as the q460?  also for comparison i have to almost extend the alessandro ms-1i fully to get it to fit comfortably (there's probably like a quarter inch of the arms left sticking up out of the plastic guides, tops).  any chance i could get the k81djs to fit me, as they seem like a real steal?  rather not have to deal with struggle of purchasing then returning them.  thanks.

edit: it might also be the shape of my head but i'm not exactly sure.  maybe too much distance from the top of my head to my ears?  seems like if some headphones were more curved in shape they would fit quite a deal better on me.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,647 of 2,661
Quote:
I still love mine. Just the right amount of bass. Sadly my pleather ear cups are starting to flake. Can they be replaced?

I had the same problem. Their service partner in Germany sells them but at almost 2/3 of the price of a new set, so I've ordered one from Amazon.

Much to my dismay, they have changed the connector and the adaptor. The connector is now totally flimsy and cheap, and the adaptor no longer screws on. The size adjustment has become so stiff that I'm afraid I'd break something sooner or later. Other than that, they still sound as awful as ever. In the end, I've put the ear cushions from the new set on my old ones.

If it weren't for the fact that the totally overdone bass makes it easier to notice the slightest wind prob and nothing else fits as easily into the corner of my mobile sound recording bag, I would have sent them back.

Ralf

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2,648 of 2,661
Is this also the "official 518 DJ/LE" thread?

What is the consensus on those vs the K81?

I was about to buy a set of M80s but after hearing them, think I will go with another set of K81/518s.

I love my 81s except, the too long cord and the comfort. The pushing the headband in (who da thunk?!)worked, but definitely takes some time to feel better.

I love the sound of the 81s, sans the foam pads.

Are the 518, the same with colors? Are the DJs the same as the LEs?
They come with a 3' cord, no? Sounds good to me, but I want them to sound better or no worse than the K81s.

What say you, head-fi?

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2,649 of 2,661
Quote:
really interested in picking one of these up but concerned if it'll fit my head.

my head is big.  huge.  when i had it the M-80 barely fit it if fully extended.  after stretching it got better but i kinda had to pull it down for it to cover my ears properly, so it was always snug.  will these be a similar fit, or larger/smaller?  i did try the Q460 briefly as it was on sale and immediately returned it because it just did not fit (the cups were resting on the top parts of my earlobes, that's the furthest they'd go).  are the k81dj the same size/"length" when extended as the q460?  also for comparison i have to almost extend the alessandro ms-1i fully to get it to fit comfortably (there's probably like a quarter inch of the arms left sticking up out of the plastic guides, tops).  any chance i could get the k81djs to fit me, as they seem like a real steal?  rather not have to deal with struggle of purchasing then returning them.  thanks.

edit: it might also be the shape of my head but i'm not exactly sure.  maybe too much distance from the top of my head to my ears?  seems like if some headphones were more curved in shape they would fit quite a deal better on me.

I've never tried the M-80 but the headband on the K81DJ is quite short. I have a medium sized head and I usually only need to extend the band less than halfway on full sized cans but I need to extend the K81 almost fully. Their grip on your head also gets stronger as you extend the headband so I wouldn't recommend it for large heads.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2,650 of 2,661
I just got the K81dj which are my first pair of supra-aural headphones (I'm used to IEMs and circumaural). I'm still burning them in but so far I find the sound to be reasonable but not amazing, although for $50 it's actually quite good.

Out of the box I found the sound very dark, with boomy bass, thick lower mids and relatively recessed upper mids and treble, but clarity is quite good for this price range. Removing the foam pad inserts from the earcups noticeably brought out the upper mids and added more rumble to the sub-bass, all in all a significant improvement to the sound. I still wish I could apply some EQ to boost sub-bass, tone down the crazy mid-bass, and add a little boost to the high end, but alas I'm using these with my iPhone which does not have a proper equalizer. Can you tell I love sub-bass? :wink:

Comfort wise they are quite good with my glasses off, but the tight camping force hurts my ears when I'm wearing glasses (which is most of the time). The cord is miles long but I keep the extra tied in a bunch and I might do a recable eventually.

It's by no means a perfect headphone but for the price I'm quite happy. Hopefully the headband will loosen up a bit over time and let's pray that the next version of iOS comes with a custom equalizer (yeah, right).

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #2,655 of 2,661
Are these earpads compatible?
http://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Earpad-Cushion-for-Sennheiser-HD25-1-HD25-HMD25-HME25-HMEC25-HMEC45-headset/1400202843.html

I`ll probably get one althought I`m worried about the comfort...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back