Official K-81 DJ thread
Jan 22, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #2,012 of 2,661
Question:

How many of the people still reading and/or contributing to this thread have read all 100+ pages of it? I have. And it shows what kind of response one can get when they can recommend a good set of inexpensive headphones that sound great.

All memebers of the 100+ club chime in.......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #2,014 of 2,661
I have been following this thread since the beginning, although I think this is my first contribution. I became interested in these cans after being "burned" by the glowing impressions posted on Headroom of the K26P fart cannon. The K81DJ is not perfect but for the money I think it is a great all-arounder/portable. I want a K518DJ now!

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #2,015 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by KinesongPayaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, the hinge is on the actual bar that you pull in/out to adjust the headband, if your head is bigger/smaller?

if so, that's good news for people with smaller heads, since if you dont pull it out, there will be less tension in that area...

however, these hinges *pictured-yellow* seem to be connected to the headband/adjustable band on a small area.

0020120081_1479.jpg

this is what I'm talking about

3d-axis? is that what AKG calls it?
hehehe... the term i chose sounded a lot cooler... and more techy
"2-point hinge-swivel mechanism"

I know it!!!! HA!! I had the k 26 p and they snapped. A small pin is in there.
It moves a small amont and it snaps. Good thing I don't buy them.

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #2,016 of 2,661
i purchased my first ever headphones about a week ago which were the AKG K26ps. from the review on headroom they sounded like the perfect choice. they sounded good compared to my old crappy in earbuds that came with my walkman, but werent as good as i was hoping. not only the sound but also the whole design of it (crappy headband that you have to adjust each time to put it on which i could see myself breaking very quickly). found this thread and thought **** it i gotta get me a pair of these so i did and holy **** theyre awesome! these are exactly what i was after. much sturdier headband, and MUCH better sound quality (and i havent even "burnt in" or done any of the mods yet). i dont find them too uncomfortable either (pretty much the same as the K26ps), hopefully though they do stretch out a little as they are a bit tight.

just quickly will these drain a lot of battery from my walkman? i know i should probably have an amp to go along with them but cant afford one as of yet and im not after the most amazing sound quality just something decent (which these definitely are).
also what music should I burn them in with? I was going to just load up a heap of mp3s and shuffle them up so i get a good mix of styles. I dont want to use the pink noise as Ive heard it can actually make it end up sounding worse in some cases.

Jan 23, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #2,017 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by KinesongPayaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*i know its a double post, but this is a completely different topic*

[size=medium]
K81DJ - on Ipod mini battery life[/size]

how much faster does it drain an ipod mini?
is there a general consensus on this?

how much would using this affect the battery of an ipod?
are we looking at a good 30 minutes from a total of 4 hours play?
are there charts/graphs that shows the effects of using these headphones vs. the ordinary apple earbuds?

why do people think these will drain the ipod faster than other portable headphones?
confused.gif
they're very efficient and easy to drive.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #2,018 of 2,661
Again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do people think these will drain the ipod faster than other portable headphones?
confused.gif
they're very efficient and easy to drive.

The size of the headphones has very little to do with it. It's impedance and efficiency that matter...and since the K81DJ does just fine for portable players unamped, don't worry about it.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #2,019 of 2,661
the little silver part that connects the headband and earcup has come loose on the left side of my pair. now the earcup moves around instead of staying stable. bloody pissing me off as i just bought these and i really like them other than that problem.

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #2,020 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamakazi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the little silver part that connects the headband and earcup has come loose on the left side of my pair. now the earcup moves around instead of staying stable. bloody pissing me off as i just bought these and i really like them other than that problem.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221347 new there

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #2,021 of 2,661
Finally got the Panasonic RP-HTX7...after 60+ hours burn in they're worthy headphones to be mentioned. Especially at $32 these panies proved to be another KEEPER for me.

I just LOVE good cheap headphones. The HTX7 could be another bargain headphones out there for sure.

Personally I really like the retro look, build quality and material finish on these HTX7. Also the comfort is better for me since I have big eye glasses frame. Before the k81 (supraural) used to sit on my ears pressing toward the frame. Now the HTX7 (circumaural) sits around my ears thus no pressure. Only gripe I have with the HTX7 are the sweaty ears due to the oval pleather cushion covering my ears. Well this only happens after hours of listening. Soon I'll post some detailed pix of the HTX7. However, I think k81 build quality is far more durable and sturdy for sure. Its rubber coat paint on k81 make them scratch-proof and grippy tactile.

The HTX7 headband has perforated pleather metal band which houses two thin metal arm frames. The glossy plastic finish on the cups look like expensive lacquer finish. Also the machined metal parts gives the killer pilot look. I would say the size of the cups are about the Sony eggo series, very compact in its elliptical shape.

The k81 is definately far more portable. The HTX7 are small and compact, but the aforementioned metal rail arms don't fold nor swivel nor rotate to make it portable. Before I forget, they don't come with a nice headphone pouch bag. So as the portability is concerned, the k81 shines in every regard.

Later I'll mention more about the sound compared to the k81. If I have to guess any similar previous headphones, I'd say k501 comes to my mind. Of course it's not as sterile and accurate, but the HTX7 has those attributes and personalities of k501. Again, I'm only talking about the mere personality. Again don't get me wrong, they're NOT k501.

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #2,022 of 2,661
I already have my k81dj, but I'm wondering how they compare to the slightly more expensive Sennheiser hd280 headphones.

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #2,023 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have my k81dj, but I'm wondering how they compare to the slightly more expensive Sennheiser hd280 headphones.

Don't bother. The K81Dj's do a much better job and convey more of the music than the HD280's - and yes, I have both.

Jan 28, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #2,024 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother. The K81Dj's do a much better job and convey more of the music than the HD280's - and yes, I have both.

I basically agree with that, although the HD280's aren't bad, and they are more comfortable than the K81dj's. Still, I kept my K81dj's, and I sold the HD280's long ago...

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #2,025 of 2,661
:::A:::
how do you remove the (p?)leather cups on this?
on the "manual" there's a notch somewhere there, that locks these cups in place

i just want to try listening to it without the foam pads, as some say it sounds better

:::B:::
what is AKG's take on the warranty policy? the warranty policy doesn't seem to cover any modifications. just "invalid" repairs by 3rd parties

Users who are viewing this thread

Back