Official K-81 DJ thread
Jan 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #2,026 of 2,661
So as I'm walking to the bus today I experienced something pretty angering -- the left channel of my K81s started to get a bit staticy and then began to fade in and out. Damn it. I've had these things for 5 weeks and haven't abused them or anything; this shouldn't be happening. This happened to my HD497s, but only after a year of heavy use, and I paid $30 less for those cans.

Is this covered by AKG's warranty? Will they replace my headphones gratis? I'm wondering what I ought to do here. I really love these cans and it's a shame that I've got to deal with a problem like this after only 5 weeks.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #2,027 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So as I'm walking to the bus today I experienced something pretty angering -- the left channel of my K81s started to get a bit staticy and then began to fade in and out. Damn it. I've had these things for 5 weeks and haven't abused them or anything; this shouldn't be happening. This happened to my HD497s, but only after a year of heavy use, and I paid $30 less for those cans.

Is this covered by AKG's warranty? Will they replace my headphones gratis? I'm wondering what I ought to do here. I really love these cans and it's a shame that I've got to deal with a problem like this after only 5 weeks.

The K81DJ connector realy sucks, this is possibly their greatest flaw...but once you'll get them a good recabling you won't want them to have a resistant plug in the beggining considering the SQ jump they get from a new cable. I tried them with 4 different cable : Original cable - Silver plated coper - Grado cable and Canare Starquad. The best IMO is the silver plated if you want more treble and controlled bass or Canare starquad if you prefer warm presentation. I have Canare right now and even if i like the sound i think i am starting to miss the clarity of my SPC
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #2,028 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K81DJ connector realy sucks, this is possibly their greatest flaw...but once you'll get them a good recabling you won't want them to have a resistant plug in the beggining considering the SQ jump they get from a new cable. I tried them with 4 different cable : Original cable - Silver plated coper - Grado cable and Canare Starquad. The best IMO is the silver plated if you want more treble and controlled bass or Canare starquad if you prefer warm presentation. I have Canare right now and even if i like the sound i think i am starting to miss the clarity of my SPC
frown.gif

I've never recabled a headphone so I'd be sort of hesitant to make these cans my recabling first.

How difficult would these particular cans be to recable for a complete novice like myself?

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #2,029 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never recabled a headphone so I'd be sort of hesitant to make these cans my recabling first.

How difficult would these particular cans be to recable for a complete novice like myself?

it's really easy. you just pop off the covering, unscrew 3 screws, and you're in! i am as novice with this sort of thing as you can get and had no trouble. you might want to have someone else there just to help hold things in place for you while you're soldering, though.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #2,030 of 2,661
wow this thread is still going, as is my enjoyment of the K81DJs
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #2,031 of 2,661
I have to confess - my appreciation of the K81dj has waned somewhat. I still think they're great for the money, but I have gone back to the Sennheiser HD25-1's for my travel can. It's 3 times as much money, to be sure, but it's easily worth it, IMO. What makes the K81dj so good is price/performance, not performance in absolute terms.

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #2,032 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes the K81dj so good is price/performance, not performance in absolute terms.

Well no kidding. I doubt anyone who's purchased the K81DJ's figure they are the top-o-the-line. I know I don't. But they still sound way fun. And for the cost, they can't be beat. As you pointed out, it's taken a set ocans three times the price to better them to your ears.

My K601's and E500's better the K81DJ's. But I still listen to them, and I still enjoy them for what they are. And that, I think, is the point.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #2,033 of 2,661
I just bought K81's, tryied them, sound is not bad, but I compared them directly to my K701... Unfortunatelly, I tomorrow I will definatelly return them back and change to Sennheiser EH350. I never imagined, that my head is so big.. or may be headphones are too small
cool.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #2,034 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought K81's, tryied them, sound is not bad, but I compared them directly to my K701... Unfortunatelly, I tomorrow I will definatelly return them back and change to Sennheiser EH350. I never imagined, that my head is so big.. or may be headphones are too small
cool.gif

stretching them out may be a good way to increase comfort. but yea, they do clamp a bit tight.

i need to get my contacts... fast!

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #2,035 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool.gif

Just a thought, but I too have a big head (no comments) and when I initially got my pair they were a bit tight. WIth stretching and time the got to the point of still fitting snugly, but not uncomfortably. I now can wear them for hours with no desire to switch to my K601's or E500's. So maybe you just haven't given them enough time to stretch out to your head's size. I'd hate to see you give up on such a good (and inexpensive) set of headphone for lack of the time it'll take to stretch them out. (Some have recommended putting a few books between them - bigger than your head - and letting them sit like that, stretched out, whenever you are not wearing them.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #2,036 of 2,661
I foundt hese really comfortable after i let the headband go upt ot 8 clicks on each side... it still stayed on my ear perfectly without too much pressure and enoguh to keep the isolation and sound quality.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #2,037 of 2,661
i have a recabling question. i can usually do this kind of stuff but it takes me a little while to talk myself into it. these are my first set of good phones and i dont want to ruin them but i do want to make them better. is there any chance of completely screwing these things up with solder? is it just a metallic plate that i solder to? also, should i heat up the wire or the plate itself?

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #2,039 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to confess - my appreciation of the K81dj has waned somewhat. I still think they're great for the money, but I have gone back to the Sennheiser HD25-1's for my travel can. It's 3 times as much money, to be sure, but it's easily worth it, IMO. What makes the K81dj so good is price/performance, not performance in absolute terms.

this is not a surprise...........with ur beyer arsenal i 'm still wondering why do u still keep the k81s. LOL
icon10.gif

HD25-1???.........wat about the 770s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back