Official K-81 DJ thread
Dec 12, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #1,831 of 2,661
ksc75 has a sharper treble, but the bass is loose and not as well defined as k81. k81 sounds great across the spectrum, with somewhat more bass. I use both interchangably when the clamp of the k81 becomes too much to bear.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #1,832 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ksc75 has a sharper treble, but the bass is loose and not as well defined as k81. k81 sounds great across the spectrum, with somewhat more bass. I use both interchangably when the clamp of the k81 becomes too much to bear.

i see. so they are like a refined ksc75? seems as if the comfort issue is killing alot of people tho

Dec 12, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #1,834 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

did you get the k81s recabled to get an overall better sound than the ksc75s?
because i dont know if i should get the k81s OR a new DAP like the Insignia 2GB MP3 Video Player (NS-DV2GC) (right now i have a 512mb muvo)
dont recommend me to get both cause i dont have the $$

Dec 12, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #1,836 of 2,661
Just got mine in the mail today. They're nice but I'm a little dissapointed by the bass.... there's definitely enough of it but it's just not that punchy. It doesn't hit that hard. Does this get better with burn-in?

Dec 12, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #1,837 of 2,661
hey guys im very interested in these cans, maybe u can help. I will be using them with a creative labs vision m, i will be playing mostly movies and rap and r&b? Are these good for me? if not what do you suggest? My limit is around $100

Dec 12, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #1,838 of 2,661
Fully burned in, they sound better than the ksc75, and of course you'll need to remove the foam pads for the highs to really come through. The treble is just right for me, on the ksc75 it can sometimes get too shrill.
I did eventually recabled mine with canare starquad, but it was mainly cuz I wanted a sturdier, shorter cable, not because of the improvements to the sound which was rather minimal to my ears.
Despite the comfort issue, I have worn mine for 5 hours at a stretch, and I wear glasses.

Dec 12, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #1,839 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by avi85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does recabling make headphones sound better?

Well, many of us here are pretty convinced that cables will sound different, including yours truly. No doubt for me that the better cable I had put on mine improves the sound. Also it's more convenient than the stock cable for me, as it's shorter and stronger.

Dec 12, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #1,840 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread has over 1800 posts

i think some people have managed to get over the comfort issue

The main comfort issue for me was that my head appeared to be too tall.. I didn't think I had a really big head, but when I got these I had to have them extended all the way and then I still had to have it pressed really hard on the top of my head for the ear cups to reach down and cover my ears properly. What helped me was to flex them inward. I crossed the ear cups with each other, in the sideways position, and carefully pulled them in the opposite direction you would pull the ear cups to put the headphones on normally. It flexed the metal band up top to gave me some more room so it's not belted to the top of my head. Now I can listen too them for longer than I should be so it was enough. Initially I had some discomfort on my ears themselves because I never had a pair of supra aural cans before. My ears adjusted after a few weeks and now that's gone too.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #1,841 of 2,661
I've given in. A few months ago I bought a set of ER6i's and to be honest wasn't that happy with them. Stuck with them while abroad at work and though they don't have the bass I want I did get to like the detail in the music. But when I got back home I put on my old crap Ross phones which are bass heavy. My home set up is also rather bass heavy, (my sub woofer is far too big for my apartment, poor neighbours)so last night I bit the bullet and ordered a set of these. Hope they live up to expectations. Paid just £38 inc delivery in UK. Actually cheaper than the ER6i's IIRC.

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #1,842 of 2,661
I got my 81dj today. I noticed immediately that bass is too much for me. Should I give a chance for these and hope that sound get better after burn in or should I send these back right now and buy some other headphones?

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #1,843 of 2,661
You should take out the foam inserts and let them burn in for a good 100hrs before sending them back.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #1,845 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by joos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my 81dj today. I noticed immediately that bass is too much for me. Should I give a chance for these and hope that sound get better after burn in or should I send these back right now and buy some other headphones?

Mine have the pads removed, over 100 hours, and the puddy mod, and I'm still running at least -3 dB equalization at 50 Hz. I'm happy enough with them, after all this.

If you don't have capability to give it decent eq and you know thw bass is way too much now, save yourself the grief and send them back. Despite what peoiple are saying, break in helps but its not night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back