Official K-81 DJ thread
Nov 10, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #1,787 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing
how does armor all help in any way??? and which one did u use?

I used the Armor All Original Protectant seen here. Gaughtfried was the first to try this, and my impressions after several applications are pretty much the same as his:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
The Armor All I've been using is the type that comes from the bottle; nothing too fancy. I just pour some of it onto a cloth and wipe it on the pad's surface. The bottle says that untreated materials should be given 3 treatments roughly 1/2 an hour apart; it's actually pretty accurate. From there I've been going with daily treatments.

The changes are pretty easy to catch. Aside from an increase in luster and gloss, the pleather gives way significantly easier hence giving it a "supple" texture. Prior to the treatment I found the pleather to be somewhat hard and brittle kinda like something you'd find in a cheap wallet. Afterwards it feels more like the pleather used in my sofa; exceedingly soft and cloth-like.

Being that I have sensitive skin, I was worried that I'd get some sort of rash or reaction out of it. Fortunately, I can say that there have been none so far.

*edit*
I can't really tell if there's a difference in SQ; however, my initial guess is that there isn't. On the upside, I can now re-bend the headband for a tighter fit without any real discomfort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Well, I stopped using armor all quite some time ago. After a week or two of daily applications, the changes in the pleather's texture became permanent. It's pretty comfy and doesnt turn my ears into a oven. Sometimes I still gloss them up as part of a cleaning regiment, but that's all. There isn't a loss in isolation at all. I applied the armor all by spraying some on a cloth and wiping that cloth on the pads while the pads where still on the headphones.

I'm actually looking at using some mink oil to make these pads even softer.

To be honest, I was pretty skeptical about it making a difference, but the pads have become noticeably smoother and less "sticky" on the ears, which -- combined with the other factors I mentioned above -- has made their comfort surprisingly bearable.

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #1,789 of 2,661
I've been reading that the only complaint for these really seem to be the comfort, and how tight they clamp. I have a fairly small head, and read that even those with smaller heads felt uncomfortable with these over long periods of time.

I was wondering if they break in and feel better, or is it just something I have to get used to? I was planning on putting them around a motorcycle helmet while breaking em in, hoping to make them more comfortable. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #1,790 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo
I've been reading that the only complaint for these really seem to be the comfort, and how tight they clamp. I have a fairly small head, and read that even those with smaller heads felt uncomfortable with these over long periods of time.

I was wondering if they break in and feel better, or is it just something I have to get used to? I was planning on putting them around a motorcycle helmet while breaking em in, hoping to make them more comfortable. Thanks.

i have a small head and they were still a bit tight on my head...but a bit of stretching and it's fine now. i can imagine how uncomfortable it might be for those with larger noggins, though...ouch.

Nov 22, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #1,791 of 2,661
Ok, after reading the first 60 pages I took the plunge and ordered a pair yesterday for 47 euros (roughly 56$)
They should be here in a couple days tops.
I really needed a decent closed can to use when walking to and from work with all that damn traffic noise.

One question: has anyone ever compared the sound signature of the K81 with a HD595? I'm planning to burn 'em in for a good 100 hours and then also remove the foam pads, 'cause I don't like recessed highs and overwhelming bass.

My only concern is that I might find 'em too bassy even after burn-in & the foam removal tweak. But then again they should lose a bit of bass in the noisy environment I'm gonna use them.

Any feedback about this? How do they sound (with foam removed) compared to a HD595?

Nov 22, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #1,792 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question: has anyone ever compared the sound signature of the K81 with a HD595? I'm planning to burn 'em in for a good 100 hours and then also remove the foam pads, 'cause I don't like recessed highs and overwhelming bass.

My only concern is that I might find 'em too bassy even after burn-in & the foam removal tweak. But then again they should lose a bit of bass in the noisy environment I'm gonna use them.

Any feedback about this? How do they sound (with foam removed) compared to a HD595?

VERY different. The HD595 are on the light and lively side. The K81 are the gutsy and powerful side. They are totally different. Enjoy them both for what they are. Variety is good.

Nov 22, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #1,793 of 2,661
Well, at 90 pages this thread has begun to finally slow down. Is this one of the headphone record setters for posts, pages and views, I wonder?

I am thinking about having Drew re-cable mine (something really over the top, maybe!). I am concerned about the plug and the connections to the ear pieces....plus it will be interesting to see if re-cabling tames the boominess in the bass and opens up these remarkable cans.

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #1,794 of 2,661
I've been comparing my K81DJ's to MS-1's for close to a week now, and here are my impressions:

Bass too boomy on K81 although it has gotten better with burn-in.
Bass deep enough on MS-1 but lacking in impact. Much more detail in mids and highs, it feels as if the music is textured.

I think the K81 is an amazing headphone for the price and if I were to pick one between it and MS-1, K81DJ would still edge out because of versatility with different types of music.

Now, I'm wondering if someone can recommend a headphone where the bass and bass impact would be in between K81 and MS-1, while keeping the amazing detail and clarity of MS-1..

Nov 24, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #1,795 of 2,661
Im looking at getting these to replace my ipod headphones. I dont know much about headphones,so i have a more genre based question.

I listen to a range of stuff such as...imogen heap,combchrist,dj zany,t. raumschmiere,30 seconds to mars,the libertines,babyshambles,the arctic monkeys,test icicles,nirvana,billy talent etc...

will these headphones be suitable for all of those? keep in mind i can change the eq settings on my ipod,so it can be tuned to an extent.

will my ipod be able to power these?

thanks

Nov 24, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #1,796 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by oli84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been comparing my K81DJ's to MS-1's for close to a week now, and here are my impressions:

Bass too boomy on K81 although it has gotten better with burn-in.
Bass deep enough on MS-1 but lacking in impact. Much more detail in mids and highs, it feels as if the music is textured.

I think the K81 is an amazing headphone for the price and if I were to pick one between it and MS-1, K81DJ would still edge out because of versatility with different types of music.

Now, I'm wondering if someone can recommend a headphone where the bass and bass impact would be in between K81 and MS-1, while keeping the amazing detail and clarity of MS-1..

maybe a recabled k81dj

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #1,800 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by knalb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe a recabled k81dj

Is there a link for instructions on how to do a recable? Still pretty new to this but I'm willing to do it if it will get me the results I want..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back