Official K-81 DJ thread
Sep 11, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #1,456 of 2,661
It was a major bummer when I got channel dropouts on these phones, so I figured I'd replace the jack with a right angle one and shorten the cord while I was at it.

Works well so far and has managed to survive 6 commutes without problems (my original jack crapped out at 4). And man do these make great commuter phones, great sound, decent isolation and fairly portable.

Read some earlier posts about using armor-all so I figured I'd try it, found some leather furniture polish and gave it a few coats. Definitely worth a shot, the pads are much softer than before and so far haven't bothered me.

Glad these cans are working again, except for the cord length and the weak jack they're near perfect portables.

Sep 11, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #1,457 of 2,661
[size=small]Isn't there a limit to the amount of posts allowed in a single thread? We are rapidly approaching 1500 posts in this one.
cool.gif
[/size]

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #1,458 of 2,661
these are great cans. i'm burning them in right now but they feel great/secure after messin with the headband a bit. i'm surprised at the size/quality of these as well. i'm listening to some music on my powerbook and i can't hear my tv hanging only a few feet away from me. good isolation for what you pay. thanks for this great thread!!!

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #1,460 of 2,661
The pads just pull off they have a "lip" that wraps around the outside of the driver. You then remove three screws and can pop them right open. I'm in the middle of a recable right now after slamming the cord in the door to my condo. If all goes well, I'll let you know what change in sound *if any* it results in.

Hope this helps!

Sep 13, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #1,461 of 2,661
Just got my K81DJs. First impression:

OMGWTF[size=medium]BASS.[/size]

I need to EQ that down, otherwise seems brilliant
wink.gif

They baaarely fit my head. Any shorter and it'd be too short.

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #1,462 of 2,661
At first, I liked my k81's better with the foams out, because of the tamed bass and the somehow more detailed sound... after thousands of hours of use, I think that i'm starting to prefer them with the foams on.

How about you guys?

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #1,463 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatality_
Just got my K81DJs. First impression:

OMGWTF[size=medium]BASS.[/size]

I need to EQ that down, otherwise seems brilliant
wink.gif

They baaarely fit my head. Any shorter and it'd be too short.

Geez. It's not that much. Someone's been listening to too many high end headphones. :p

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #1,464 of 2,661
I finally made the plunge, my roommate goes to bed around midnight and I usually stay up until 3-4am, and my HD555s were just leaking too much sound
frown.gif
I bought the K81DJ from ebay for $59 + $8 shipping... I can't wait to try them out!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #1,465 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexKidd
At first, I liked my k81's better with the foams out, because of the tamed bass and the somehow more detailed sound... after thousands of hours of use, I think that i'm starting to prefer them with the foams on.

How about you guys?

Still without foams

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #1,467 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
How's the isolation on these? Good enough to wear while on a train or light-rail/metro type system?

if the NYC Subway system qualifies, the answer is yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #1,469 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldrogers
How's the isolation on these? Good enough to wear while on a train or light-rail/metro type system?

The light-rail here is quieter than the busses, but I use them happily on both.

The loudest part of my commutes is actually the light-rail in a ten minute run through a tunnel (basically a light-rail train not designed for subway use doing the subway thing, so rather wind noisy). The 81DJs and the 280pros are the only two pairs of headphones I've used that I can use through there. You lose the bass though (which is why they are bassy headphones to begin with, to use in a noisy environment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back