Official K-81 DJ thread
Aug 11, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #1,186 of 2,661
Wow that is very significant. I didn't expect that much variation from the inserts and the inserts are a different material than what I would have expected. It's much clearer, but now the highs are quite harsh, still muddy on the bass though and my ear drums are starting to hurt (even at low volumes). Break-in, and I'll see for sure. I guess I'll switch from death metal to some classical for now to give my ears a break.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #1,187 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If you don't mind me asking, what headphones are you comparing them to?

my CX300s, although they are well burned in and the AKG has only 30 or so hours on them

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #1,188 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by hax
I extended them all the way and hang them off my ears diagonally so the headband doesn't touch my head. If I put it properly, the headband fully extended presses against the top of my head, which is a bit annoying.

I do the same thing except I don't extend them all the way (I actually don't extend them at all because then I don't get the seal and it's uncomfortable). I'm surprised that someone else would do this though as it does look kind of funny.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #1,189 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you know what i've found? take out the foam disk, get the velour pads, plug it straight into the 5G iPod, and it's SLAMMIN'. I can't even push it past 80% without a bassal assault!
basshead.gif

The velour pads don't have have a thin screen that hides the driver. Do you listen to your pair with the plastic exposed?

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #1,190 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by hax
Wow that is very significant. I didn't expect that much variation from the inserts and the inserts are a different material than what I would have expected. It's much clearer, but now the highs are quite harsh, still muddy on the bass though and my ear drums are starting to hurt (even at low volumes). Break-in, and I'll see for sure. I guess I'll switch from death metal to some classical for now to give my ears a break.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=small]
High frequency sounds are heavily absorbed by soft materials (pillows, cushions, thick curtains, etc.). The foam pads in the K81 is the thickest that I have seen, and it robs the drivers of much of their treble tones, and, to a lesser extent, some of the mids. (By comparison, the foam pads for the Senn HD-25-1 is just a thin membrane.) As a result, with the pads, the K81 has muted trebles and the mids seemed recessed.

It probably would have been better for you to have left the pads in until the drivers were mostly broken in. By taking them out too soon, you get untamed screechy highs and untamed, loose & wooly bass tones. The general recommendation is to leave the pads in until the break-in period is mostly done. (I say "mostly done" because my phones appear to be still breaking in and getting better. I probably have close to 200 hours on mine by now.
biggrin.gif
)

You should be able to work the foam pads back under the ear pads to save your ears for the time being.

This has been a public safety announcement from your AKG Audiophile Friends.
k1000smile.gif

[/size]

Aug 11, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #1,191 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
my CX300s, although they are well burned in and the AKG has only 30 or so hours on them

If the CX300s have more soundstage than your K81DJ's there is something seriously wrong with your pair.
eek.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #1,192 of 2,661
updating some issues i had with my k81dj and my PINT...got a new pint from misterx and it works flawlessly with the k81dj...the noise issues from the previous pint are gone and i really like how this amp sounds! i'm not sure what misterx did differently, but it sure worked!

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #1,193 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap
[size=small]
High frequency sounds are heavily absorbed by soft materials (pillows, cushions, thick curtains, etc.). The foam pads in the K81 is the thickest that I have seen, and it robs the drivers of much of their treble tones, and, to a lesser extent, some of the mids. (By comparison, the foam pads for the Senn HD-25-1 is just a thin membrane.) As a result, with the pads, the K81 has muted trebles and the mids seemed recessed.

It probably would have been better for you to have left the pads in until the drivers were mostly broken in. By taking them out too soon, you get untamed screechy highs and untamed, loose & wooly bass tones. The general recommendation is to leave the pads in until the break-in period is mostly done. (I say "mostly done" because my phones appear to be still breaking in and getting better. I probably have close to 200 hours on mine by now.
biggrin.gif
)

You should be able to work the foam pads back under the ear pads to save your ears for the time being.

This has been a public safety announcement from your AKG Audiophile Friends.
k1000smile.gif

[/size]

I actually followed this procedure and I agree. I have broken in my pair with the foam pads in, now taking them out they sound wonderful.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #1,194 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
updating some issues i had with my k81dj and my PINT...got a new pint from misterx and it works flawlessly with the k81dj...the noise issues from the previous pint are gone and i really like how this amp sounds! i'm not sure what misterx did differently, but it sure worked!

Glad your issue was resolved.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #1,195 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai
The velour pads don't have have a thin screen that hides the driver. Do you listen to your pair with the plastic exposed?

The stock pads come with that thick driver foam pad with the rubber skid material on the back. toss that.

the HD25 velour pads come with a cheesy thin grey foam driver protecting pad. oops i still use that. it doesn't affect the SQ at all (unlike the AKG driver pads) so i leave it in to protect from hairs and junk.

Aug 12, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #1,196 of 2,661
I didn't have a chance to read through this entire thread, but I wanted to check on the size of these cans. I just bought a pair of k26p without reading any reviews first, and I'm agreeing with the boominess, plus they press too much on my ears. I am quite enthralled so far reading about the k81s, but since it looks like I'll end up buying them online, I'd like to find out if they extend as much as the k26s? Does anyone have both and can compare the headband size of both? I have a large head so this is a bit of a concern. (yes I know someone about asked something similar, but he wasn't asking for a comparison for point of reference
wink.gif
)

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #1,197 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If the CX300s have more soundstage than your K81DJ's there is something seriously wrong with your pair.
eek.gif

well i think i have left it for over 50hours now ill report back with more results over the weekend

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #1,199 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by skev13
Hmm, I need a closed portable for days I don't feel like the Shure's...

I love my Grado sound, nice detail and tight bass. I hate over the top bass (cx300 bass is jsut borderline for me)

Would you recommend the K81DJ's for me? or is there another alternative?

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I love (with a captial L) my K81DJ's (for what they are). But, even fully burned in, the bass is not "nice detailed and tight" in the manner which I'm guessing you're looking for. (For that, you want K601's or k 701's.) It's deep, pretty defined, but not the last word (or second to last, or third to last, or...if you get my drift) in bass detail and definition. Remember, these are $69 closed back cans, so expecting the world will bring you nothing but disappointment, and leave you wondering what all of us here who love these things are smoking. But if you just want a set of closed back, isolating cans to use on a part-time basis, yes by all means purchase a pair, let them burn in, remove the foam pad over the driver and let us know what you think. Given that criteria, I'll bet you end up likeing them too.

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #1,200 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
Just so you know where I'm coming from, I love (with a captial L) my K81DJ's (for what they are). But, even fully burned in, the bass is not "nice detailed and tight" in the manner which I'm guessing you're looking for. (For that, you want K601's or k 701's.) It's deep, pretty defined, but not the last word (or second to last, or third to last, or...if you get my drift) in bass detail and definition. Remember, these are $69 closed back cans, so expecting the world will bring you nothing but disappointment, and leave you wondering what all of us here who love these things are smoking. But if you just want a set of closed back, isolating cans to use on a part-time basis, yes by all means purchase a pair, let them burn in, remove the foam pad over the driver and let us know what you think. Given that criteria, I'll bet you end up likeing them too.

Will do. atleast thats what my Paypal account tells me.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back