Official K-81 DJ thread
Aug 10, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #1,171 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116
Very nice illustration. An A+ for sure. Anyway, I also tried that method of stretching the headband and unfortunately cracked it on the silver mounts as well. This was because as you push the sides of the headband together, pressure builds as the two cups press against each other. It seems the silver mounts are the breaking points. On my second pair, I tried a different method which worked well and has what seems to be 0% of breaking. It's really quite simple: Bend the metal out where the metal and the plastic meet. Do each side individually. This way the pressure on the sides are relieved without flattening the middle. With the middle curvature preserved, there is very little pressure towards the middle. I hope this helps.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me after two or three bending sessions. Up to the point of breaking the headphones I never got much clamping relief.

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #1,172 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Maybe I'm overstating it, so let me be clear.

I was responding to your original comment, in which you stated that the K81DJ provided isolation equal to an IEM except in the "lowest frequencies". My experience is quite different. As far as I'm concerned the K81DJ certainly does NOT isolate as well as an IEM, and I doubt many people would disagree with that statement. That's all I'm saying.

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #1,173 of 2,661
just a couple of point i wana squeeze into one post

1. i was also trying to bend my pair and as soon as i heard a little pop and crack sound at the silver joints i quickly stoped

2. regarding the soundstage, im not expecting it to reach the likes of hundred dollar headphones its just not as amazing as people described earlier in the thread.

3. is AKG warranty international?

thanx

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #1,174 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
3. is AKG warranty international?

From what I have continually heard on this thread, no, the warranty is not international, just for the USA. Also remember that what I say isn't the bible... If I am wrong, correct me now please.

EDIT: I want to add the post for bending the headphones that popped up a few times before on this thread (found on the 24th page, second post down):

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceannrach
Sounds like it's worth repeating this every few pages seeing how big the thread has become....

When you first get these, you might want to let off a certain amount of this clamping pressure, as it can feel a tad headache-inducing. But please: DON’T DO THIS BY FLEXING THE CENTRE OF THE HEADBAND DOWNWARDS!!!! This will actually INCREASE the pressure! Instead, push the ear cushions together and, holding them this way between the ‘heels’ of your hands, use your fingers to squeeze the arms of the headband together. Do this gently, and keep adjusting till they feel right. Do it too much and you’ll put a permanent bend in the visible steel band on top, so please be careful!

It does work - honest!

Hope this will help some of you out there.
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #1,175 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelrob
lol.
UPdate... I got an almost instant reply to the email I sent AKG tech support. My cans are on the way to TN for repair.

Sweet! Now, let's hope that their turnaround time is swift.

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #1,176 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I was responding to your original comment, in which you stated that the K81DJ provided isolation equal to an IEM except in the "lowest frequencies". My experience is quite different. As far as I'm concerned the K81DJ certainly does NOT isolate as well as an IEM, and I doubt many people would disagree with that statement. That's all I'm saying.

No arguement here. While the K81DJ's do isolate very well from the normal noise around my house (or, say, my doctors office), they do not shut out all noise like a well seated IEM will. On my next flight, I'm taking both to test for myself (besides, I do like the overall sound of the K81DJ's, so litening to them in the airport is reason enough to carry them. I'll use my E3c's in-flight if the AKG's don't cut it for me) - but just on principal alone right now I agree with you completely.

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #1,177 of 2,661
I've taken my K81's on the plane and while they worked ok, I wished that I had my UM1's with me as they would have been better - so yes they're satisfactory but if you have iem's using them will be better unless you have a talkative passenger.

Aug 10, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #1,178 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
2. regarding the soundstage, im not expecting it to reach the likes of hundred dollar headphones its just not as amazing as people described earlier in the thread.

If you don't mind me asking, what headphones are you comparing them to?

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #1,179 of 2,661
I got my K81s today, but i made the mistake of blowing my ears out and now i have to wait and let my ears relax before i can make any real sonic judgements. The headband is an odd thing but i've screwed around with it alot and it doesnt bother me too much, although i may put some padding on the very top. The shaping of the headband is weird and the joint between the headband and cans is at an annoying 145 degree angle and will not reach a flush 180 degrees (those who have the K81 will know what i mean), which contributes greatly to the discomfort that many have expressed. I'll have to wait to express my sonic impressions, but I swear i've been slowly noticing burn-in effects all day. By the way, I almost instantly removed the pads because highs just sounded muffled to me and I needed some alleviation from the bass. I doubt ill ever put the pads back in because I am dying for more general sonic detail (i'm not saying they dont have detail) from these cans and i feel like the pads just filter details. More later..

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #1,180 of 2,661
These cans change drastically with time.

I burned mine in for about two weeks and then used them a lot for another week and then they changed during the fourth week. They sound a lot like my 225s now. The bass does have to be cut way back though with EQ. That’s with the pads back in.

Aug 10, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #1,182 of 2,661
Not sure if this has been posted, but can someone provide a pic of these cans on someone's head? I'm thinking about getting them and I have a bigger head than most, so I'm afraid that the headband size/clamping force will destroy me.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #1,183 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac
Not sure if this has been posted, but can someone provide a pic of these cans on someone's head? I'm thinking about getting them and I have a bigger head than most, so I'm afraid that the headband size/clamping force will destroy me.

Here's one:

AKGK81DJ.jpg

Found here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showp...94&postcount=5
(There are also probably more in this thread...)

I don't know the definition of a large head, but this one seems to me be one of the larger of heads I've seen (no offense, btw).

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #1,184 of 2,661
I just got mine. I also have the Altec Lansing iM716 headphones, but primarily I am a mid-fi speaker user (Paradigm Studio 100 v.3s, cc-570 center, and adp-470 rears, driven by Rotel RSP-1098 and Rotel RMB-1095, and Paradigm Servo 15). I have to say, overwhelming bass, recessed mids and highs, muddy and slow. No, I'm not a basshead even though I like subs and prefer to have my system EQ'd flat with test tones at my listening position. Subs are great for low extension and subsonic impact. I understand the headphones sound will change over time, if not, heavy eq will be used.

I'll break these headphones in over a few weeks, as I got these primarily as headphones for work to cut the external noise and the iM716 is a PITA to take out and put in everytime someone comes by. I'd like to eventually find a set of headphones that give me the sound that my speakers have (iM716 not enough low mid-range and seems to fall off fast above 14khz), but I'm fairly new to this game and figured I'd build a basis with the iM716 and K81DJ and build up from there.

I don't find the clamping force too bad. I extended them all the way and hang them off my ears diagonally so the headband doesn't touch my head. If I put it properly, the headband fully extended presses against the top of my head, which is a bit annoying.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #1,185 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by hax
I just got mine. I also have the Altec Lansing iM716 headphones, but primarily I am a mid-fi speaker user (Paradigm Studio 100 v.3s, cc-570 center, and adp-470 rears, driven by Rotel RSP-1098 and Rotel RMB-1095, and Paradigm Servo 15). I have to say, overwhelming bass, recessed mids and highs, muddy and slow. No, I'm not a basshead even though I like subs and prefer to have my system EQ'd flat with test tones at my listening position. Subs are great for low extension and subsonic impact. I understand the headphones sound will change over time, if not, heavy eq will be used.

I'll break these headphones in over a few weeks, as I got these primarily as headphones for work to cut the external noise and the iM716 is a PITA to take out and put in everytime someone comes by. I'd like to eventually find a set of headphones that give me the sound that my speakers have (iM716 not enough low mid-range and seems to fall off fast above 14khz), but I'm fairly new to this game and figured I'd build a basis with the iM716 and K81DJ and build up from there.

I don't find the clamping force too bad. I extended them all the way and hang them off my ears diagonally so the headband doesn't touch my head. If I put it properly, the headband fully extended presses against the top of my head, which is a bit annoying.

Exactly the same initial impressions I had.

Remove the foam and be amazed by the difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back