Official K-81 DJ thread
Jul 30, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #991 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
Well..I tried to join you guys but It just wasn't meant to be.

I sold my A500's and bought these...I tried everything to stretch them..no luck, causes chronic ear pains after wearing them for an hour. I guess I have sensitive ears. Well I guess this means one thing, return and probably get the A900's.

Is everyone buying these for portable? I guess it was a big mistake to get them as a main can. I will probably ship these back for a return.

I think they're mostly feasible as a portable, but that's only because I own much higher end headphones. In their price range, they definitely beat the full sized cans I've heard. I don't find the clamp a problem in either the short or the long term. I don't think you made a mistake; I just think if your ears are sensitive and they won't bend for you, then that's that. Trying the velour pads may help, but unless you really enjoy the sound, it's probably not worth it.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #992 of 2,661
Replacing the cables pretty easy, if your'e using the same cable you have to be careful when you slice the plastic surrounding the copper not to cut right through because it is very thin. With care it's easy to replace or shorten the cable.

These are no flavour of the month, I enjoy them more and more, they RULE for drum and bass. They are made for it imo, especially groups like Salmonella Dub, Shapeshifter, Fat Freddys Drop,etc where you have driving bass lines with vocals and real instruments like pianos,sax,guitars and electronic/ synth noise as well.
I went to see Shapeshifter live last night and I can confidently say it sounds 'right' like the real thing through the K81's as far as balance, dynamics, musicality goes just not as 'big' as a comparison tried it through my hd580's and it just sounded all wrong..

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #993 of 2,661
these things are made for D&B, Calyx just sounds sick pumpin through these things.

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #994 of 2,661
dnb.png

This EQ + grungy drum 'n' bass =
basshead.gif
headexplosion
basshead.gif

Drum n bass is just purely amazing through these phones. With the EQ turned up, it sounds like I'm at a club or something. With a flat EQ, it still sounds gorgeous.

edit: When it comes to funky basslines, nothing comes close to Black Sun Empire

Jul 30, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #995 of 2,661
I suppose I should make the step and buy a pair... I have been looking around and thought these would work well with school and also outside listening, but I wonder if these would make my ears hot. I live in...Utah...and its always really hot around here, it was 101 today. Would getting the Velour pads make it less hot, or is it something I shouldn't worry about?

Jul 30, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #996 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks
Anyone worn/tried these things out on a plane yet? These are my headphones for work (and for that, they're absolutely IDEAL) but am taking a plane trip soon and these seem like the best choice *I* have in my "headphone arsenal" to bring along.

They certainly isolate OK in an office environment--a plane is a completely different story.

If they're not suited for this and I'm going to blast my ears out trying to outdo the plane though--I won't bother to bring them.

i recently made a new york to california trip. typically i use my E4s for listening to music when travelling but i decided to give the AKGs a try. of course they didn't give me as much isolation as the shures but i was very impressed with how well they did. i didn't have to jack up the volume much to drown out the noise. i find headphones easier to deal with on airplanes due to the constant service interuptions - at least in first class - and they are easier to take off than IEMs.

therefore i recommend them for plane travel.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #997 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
i recently made a new york to california trip. typically i use my E4s for listening to music when travelling but i decided to give the AKGs a try. of course they didn't give me as much isolation as the shures but i was very impressed with how well they did. i didn't have to jack up the volume much to drown out the noise. i find headphones easier to deal with on airplanes due to the constant service interuptions - at least in first class - and they are easier to take off than IEMs.

therefore i recommend them for plane travel.

Thanks man, you just added one more benifit to owning the K 81 DJ's.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #999 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk
You guys keep taking about being able to get the K-81 DJ's for $55, where is this?

The Fascination Products store on ebay. I think I got the last one though but they proablly restocked.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #1,000 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
Well..I tried to join you guys but It just wasn't meant to be.

I sold my A500's and bought these...I tried everything to stretch them..no luck, causes chronic ear pains after wearing them for an hour. I guess I have sensitive ears. Well I guess this means one thing, return and probably get the A900's.

Is everyone buying these for portable? I guess it was a big mistake to get them as a main can. I will probably ship these back for a return.

I think I wanna join the club again. This morning I flipped out and started bending the headband like I wanted to break it. This thing actually takes a lot of beating. But now they are comfier!

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #1,002 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
The Fascination Products store on ebay. I think I got the last one though but they proablly restocked.

I got a pair from them also. Brand new in sealed package. Made an offer of $55 with shipping included, they accepted offer 2 days later and I recieved the product in a few days. They are a good seller in my eyes. They also have a storefront in California I believe. Also one of the sponcers has opened package K81djs for $55 if they have any in stock (headroom I think?).

to me K81DJ =
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Heavier than my allesandro MS1s, not as neutral so far either, not as comfortable as MS1s with bowls (to me at least).

But.... If I had to choose one pair right now from the 3 I have (K81DJ, MS1, IM716) I would choose the K81DJs for the reasons:

Sturdier than MS1s
Isolate better than MS1s
More portable than MS1s (foldable)
Easier to take on and off than IM716
Not white like IM716s
Easier to drive than my IM716s

Price is near half what I paid for either of the other phones.

I don't think I will get rid of any o the 3 for awhile, each of them have at least one area they spank the other 2 in IMO. and hopefully I can learn to be a better listener by comparing the 3

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #1,003 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton

I checked and was able to get his last pair for $55, thanks for the info.

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #1,005 of 2,661
I bought from this same seller via Amazon, and they were also excellent from there; shipped the day after my order, it arrived in two days. Great service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back