Official K-81 DJ thread
Sep 28, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #1,546 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by stussified
So i got my pair in about June, and i'm already having an issue where the left driver loses sound when I wiggle or touch the plug in any way. Anyone else have that issue?

Yes - exactly the same, I sent mine back for repair rather than have to go through the whole 'burning-in' process of a new pair, but it seems to be taking ages. They do sound fantastic though, although the wire is way too long.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #1,547 of 2,661
Today I realized why I love my K81DJ so much. On the bus today (full of people) I could hear every single note of Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film). But most importantly, I could actually hear the intro with incredible clarity instead of everyone else's BS
280smile.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #1,548 of 2,661
Who would have bet even a small amount of money that a $55 to $69 pair of headphones would engender this kind of goodwill? Especially with all the big $$$, great sounding headphones out there that the little AKG's would be soooo well recieved. The K 81 DJ's really are an amazing set of cans. They make music - and if you think that that's an easy thing, think of all the headphones that just make noise.

Five months on and they still bring a smile to my face and get my toes tapping when I plug them in. Gotta love it.

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #1,549 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
Who would have bet even a small amount of money that a $55 to $69 pair of headphones would engender this kind of goodwill? Especially with all the big $$$, great sounding headphones out there that the little AKG's would be soooo well recieved. The K 81 DJ's really are an amazing set of cans. They make music - and if you think that that's an easy thing, think of all the headphones that just make noise.

Five months on and they still bring a smile to my face and get my toes tapping when I plug them in. Gotta love it.

While I don't have the five months hands on usage you do John, I must admit that I wholeheartedly agree with you here. And they're...well...convenient
smily_headphones1.gif

My 12 year old and still much appreciated HD580s need an amp to fully deliver. The K81s don't. That's convenient. I can easily pack the K81s even quicker than wrapping the cord from my Shure earphones on their carrying spool. That's convenient. Removing and refitting my E2Cs for a temporary break in isolation is laborious compared to simply lifting the K81 earcups from my ears. That's convenient. Need I add more? The K81s...... yeah, they're convenient
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #1,550 of 2,661
Quote:

The K 81 DJ's really are an amazing set of cans. They make music - and if you think that that's an easy thing, think of all the headphones that just make noise.

Ahh I agree its not about the $$$ , if only more people could understand the difference..

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #1,551 of 2,661
Anyone have a heads up on a great deal on these in the UK? (or importing from the US if the shipping is cheap as the $/£ ratio is so great right now!)

Sep 29, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #1,552 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
Anyone have a heads up on a great deal on these in the UK? (or importing from the US if the shipping is cheap as the $/£ ratio is so great right now!)

Try the boys and girls at Thomann.de a wonderful German site, they work out at about £39 including pretty quick delivery.

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #1,553 of 2,661
I'll check it out, thanks

Seems 580 owners have appreciated these closed cans (we need them for a gym with too loud cr$ppy background music) so I am intrigued

Sep 30, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #1,554 of 2,661
one question about the comfy lvl of these cans. I currently own a pair of Sennheisers HD200 (the white egg scale looking cans). I have a big head,unfortunately and I keep reading that the k81's are tight (??) ,that they pressure your ears and so on. Would I be able to live with the AKG K81's as I've done with my HD200? So I was wondering if ya guys could enlighten me on the matter.

Sep 30, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #1,555 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by w0lla
one question about the comfy lvl of these cans. I currently own a pair of Sennheisers HD200 (the white egg scale looking cans). I have a big head,unfortunately and I keep reading that the k81's are tight (??) ,that they pressure your ears and so on. Would I be able to live with the AKG K81's as I've done with my HD200? So I was wondering if ya guys could enlighten me on the matter.

Yes, you can simply bend the metal band outwards and the cans no longer are tight. You can make them match the exact shape of your head.

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #1,557 of 2,661
I think they're great, and although I have little experience with many phones, I thing that the buzz surrounding these phones might be a teeny weeny bit over blown. In my many years blogging I 've come to realize that the distinction between people and the things they own can somtimes be blurred and that a compliment for an the product is a compliment for the owner.

Plus, this phone fits into what many head-fi newbs are looking for, so the number of people who buy this can as their first good one, will increase the amazement in this can.

Also, there is a level of mass approval involved, most people follow the masses (obviously, or their wouldn't be masses).

Don't get me wrong I love em, but they aren't perfect.

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #1,558 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmins
I think they're great, and although I have little experience with many phones, I thing that the buzz surrounding these phones might be a teeny weeny bit over blown. In my many years blogging I 've come to realize that the distinction between people and the things they own can somtimes be blurred and that a compliment for an the product is a compliment for the owner.

Plus, this phone fits into what many head-fi newbs are looking for, so the number of people who buy this can as their first good one, will increase the amazement in this can.

Also, there is a level of mass approval involved, most people follow the masses (obviously, or their wouldn't be masses).

Don't get me wrong I love em, but they aren't perfect.

You miss the point of why this thread (and by definition, these cans) are so beloved. It isn't fanboyism (I hate that too), or a lemming-like game of follow the leader. It's that for $55 you can get a wonderful sounding set of headphones that work well in places other, better sounding model fear to tread.

Sure, there are a lot of newbies that have jump on the K81DJ bandwagon. And yes, I'll agree that for many, these are the first "good" cans they've owned. So what. Where's the problem. All I see is more people getting turned on to the fact that there are good quality headphones out there that don't have to cost an arm and a leg, and that maybe, someday, they may move up to the K701's, HD650's or other such high-end cans. And that, my friend is a good thing no matter how you chose to look at it.

Oh, and I can't recall anyone saying the K81DJ's were perfect, just good.

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #1,559 of 2,661
Hi all,

I have just received the K81DJs, and have experienced first hand the "death clamp". Through a little bit of reading I noticed that people do stretching and bending on the phones. I was wondering, how exactly do you manipulate the headband?

(I have to use 10th indents in order for the earcups to reach my ears, and I feel a very strong pressure from the top headband, anyone know how I can fix that?) Anyone think attaching foam to the bottom of the headband will help?

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #1,560 of 2,661
Don't get wrong, I think that they're great phones. I was simply pointing out that they have certain characteristics that some users (including me), may find frustrating. from my point of view, the fact that they are closed is a double edged sword. They block out ambient noise beautifully, but on the flipside their closed in feeling is something that can easily noticed even after waering the budget ksc-75s. I feel that this is a great commmuting can, but when you're at home in a quiet invironment, or if you intened to work out. These cans are not ideal even for the price, in my humble opinion.

-Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back