Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #571 of 10,664
Rockbox is my next experiment on this bad boy!

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #572 of 10,664
Yeah I don't think I can live without the rockbox. To these ears the rockboxed ipod 5g/5.5g just sounds noticeably better than the one running the OF.

Now waiting for the 240GB SSD price to drop. The price has to come down and I am not in a hurry.
wink_face.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #573 of 10,664
Got Rockbox working on the 128GB card without a hitch. It sounds awesome and loaded WAY faster than the standard 80GB hard drive did. But that's to be expected.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #574 of 10,664
I am glad everything worked out for you. Now we need some photos for proof.
wink_face.gif

By the way, how does the cf card with the adapter fit inside the "fat" 80GB model? Do you need to put in something to keep it in position from moving around?

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #575 of 10,664
Hey! no problem I'll take some pics tomorrow morning.

But I just took Rockbox off the unit. I loved how it looked but man...what a pain in the ass to get a playlist going!

I read the manuals...and then the forums...and what's this about having to make registry entries just to be able to get playlists to work? I mean...with over 3K songs on this thing...it was driving me crazy!

But I say again...this new iTunes SUCKS compared to the old one. I mean...I guess it "works" better...but I hate the layout. I was playing around with MediaMonkey but low and behold...it ATE my Genre's...it reclassified songs, etc...

So now I lost my Christmas Playlist that I torture my crew with daily (I'm an electrical Foreman/Project Manager) LOL

So now the boys get a day of reprieve until I fix it! LOL

As for space inside the case...naa...you really don't need a spacer. With Tarkan's adapter and the CF card...it's pretty snug. My second Tarkan adapter comes in tomorrow...along with a KICKING Corsair 2.1 speaker setup someone got me as a gift.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #577 of 10,664
I had a 128gb Crucial M4 mSATA drive working in a 5.5g Video, but only as long as the back was snapped open.  As soon as I close everything up the iPod gets warm and the battery starts to drain.  Any ideas? 

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #580 of 10,664
Check the cable path and whether the cable end is securely clipped in place onto the board. When I reassembled my iPod I found it easier to clip the battery cable home and leave the battery outside the case while assembling the drive. Then I dropped the battery into the front half of the case and carefully positioned the back before clipping it in.

When I had assembled it in reverse order of disassembly (per the visual instructions on iFixit), it was too difficult to get both the cable and the battery in the places they were supposed to be.

Is yours a 30gb or 80gb iPod?

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #581 of 10,664
Quote:
Check the cable path and whether the cable end is securely clipped in place onto the board. When I reassembled my iPod I found it easier to clip the battery cable home and leave the battery outside the case while assembling the drive. Then I dropped the battery into the front half of the case and carefully positioned the back before clipping it in.
When I had assembled it in reverse order of disassembly (per the visual instructions on iFixit), it was too difficult to get both the cable and the battery in the places they were supposed to be.
Is yours a 30gb or 80gb iPod?

It's a 30gb 5.5g, and up until the point where I snap it back together, it seems to work flawlessly with the SSD.

Update:  I think a fat back will solve my problem, for some reason things are just a little too tight once I snap everything together.  Will the headphone jack and battery from my 30gb work in the fat back?  The ribbon cables definitely seem long enough. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #582 of 10,664
Quote:
I had a 128gb Crucial M4 mSATA drive working in a 5.5g Video, but only as long as the back was snapped open.  As soon as I close everything up the iPod gets warm and the battery starts to drain.  Any ideas? 

Hopefully with a thicker back plate you can solve the problem.

BTW, have you tried this 256gb Crucial M4 mSATA or do you know if it works for ipod 5g/5.5g? Also what adapter do you need to make this type of ssd work for ipod video?

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #583 of 10,664
Update:  I think a fat back will solve my problem, for some reason things are just a little too tight once I snap everything together.  Will the headphone jack and battery from my 30gb work in the fat back?  The ribbon cables definitely seem long enough. 

Most of it should work (the 30gb and 60gb versions of the 5G use the same board), but you'll need to improvise something to hold the drive in place, and you'll probably want to get a bigger battery too.

I'm mostly curious how you got an mSATA drive to work in a 5.5G. That is supposed to take PATA drives by default.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #584 of 10,664
Quote:
Hopefully with a thicker back plate you can solve the problem.

BTW, have you tried this 256gb Crucial M4 mSATA or do you know if it works for ipod 5g/5.5g? Also what adapter do you need to make this type of ssd work for ipod video?

The Crucial M4 mSATA is based on the Crucial C400 mSATA.  You can find the product brochures online here; the power specs should be very similar to the 128GB if not the same.
Quote:
Most of it should work (the 30gb and 60gb versions of the 5G use the same board), but you'll need to improvise something to hold the drive in place, and you'll probably want to get a bigger battery too.
I'm mostly curious how you got an mSATA drive to work in a 5.5G. That is supposed to take PATA drives by default.

I used this adapter.  It works well and the user crashtack has a few posts in this forum regarding a similar setup.  He uses what I believe the be a Sandisk U100 128GB.  I spoke to him leading up to the point when I tried it myself. 

Currently my iPod is cruising along fine with the 30GB Video replacement battery from iFixit, and so far it seems affirmative that I'll be able to swap to the fatback without replacing the battery/headphone assembly from the 30GB.  The ribbon cable on the battery has enough give to safely accommodate the extra .12" of depth from the fat back and I already have an improvised mounting system for the SSD.

(I'll try to post pics at some point in case anyone is incredulous.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back