Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #361 of 10,664
Quote:
Hi. Very briefly, I'm looking at putting a 128GB SSD into my 5.5. Once it's done will I be able to simply install Rockbox and copy over my collection or are there any Apple shenanigans I'll have to consider? I'm assuming the ipod firmware isn't stored on the HDD? Will Rockbox boot ok from the SDD?

Any help and advice is very gratefully received. 
Thanks.

Basically after you put in the new SSD you need to connect the iPod to iTunes and iTunes will tell you that the iPod needs to be restored.

Once restored you can install rockbox as you would normally would with any other 5th Gen iPod, it works seamlessly. 

No Apple shenanigans to worry about.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #362 of 10,664
Quote:
Guys, has anyone tried to put a lower capacity SSD on that iPod Classic 160GB version, just to see if it works?
So far, I saw that nobody has managed to replace that HDD with an SSD in this iPod model.
Do you think that there is something related to emCORE/Rockbox SW which is not probably fixed to work for replacing the internal HDD with SDD?
Or can be a "hardware lock" internally in iPod's firmware which doesn't allow replacement of the standard 160GB HDD with something else? Some sort of HW ID check...

I am currently working on the iPod 7G 160GB Slim SSD mod (going to be tested with two different kinds of adapters), so hopefully I'll have an answer for you in a few weeks when my parts get here.  I know that some of the guys here have successfully put SSD's (smaller and larger) into their Classics, but I'm working on testing two different adapters (they may end up being cheaper than the normal approach), one of which may not have been used before, so stick around to see the results!

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #365 of 10,664
Quote:
^ There was a PhotoFast CR-7200 adapter that takes 4 microSD cards in RIAD0 and coverts to compact flash card pin output. The you can use a Tarkan adapter (CF to 1.8" PATA ZIF) to use in iPod.
The problem is though, I could not find that PhotoFast adapter anymore online. PhotoFast Taiwan still lists that in the product page of their company website.

OMG! If we could get that to work...wow...I so would love a 512GB solid state ipod especially if we could fit it inside a nano.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #366 of 10,664
Quote:
OMG! If we could get that to work...wow...I so would love a 512GB solid state ipod especially if we could fit it inside a nano.

According to the site it only supports cards up to 16GB in size, for a total of 64GB.  It may just be outdated information though..I sent them a message asking if it is still available for sale or not.  I wonder if you have to have all four slots full at all times..someone will have to try that if it's still available.  Looks sweet though!

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #367 of 10,664
^ I have messaged PhotoFast too, but not sure they will reply (their online inquiry form does not seem consumer friendly). We may need a Japanese or Taiwanese to contact their local PhotoFast branch. Sadly, the cost of four 128GB SDXC is over $400, although it is cheaper than an iPod-suitable 512GB SSD. Edit: sorry, that PhotoFast takes microSD only and there is no commercial 128GB microSD yet. So biggest you can have there is only 256GB for now.

I have been thinking about another approach. Basically a portable NAS with 1TB 2.5'' HDD (or 512GB SSD) and stream flac to iPhone/iTouch/Android. Still not an one-box, fit-in-your-pocket, solution but not far from there (the portable NAS, Patriot Gauntlet Node, is about the same size of an O2 amp). I will report back in mid September if anyone is interested. At the same time please feel free to read my thread (page 4) on that topic, if you want more details: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620238/streaming-flac-to-iphone-ipod-ipad-android-portables-possibly-1tb-flac-on-the-go-see-page-4/45#post_8638910

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #371 of 10,664
Well, the adapter is in the mail, but unfortunately I found out that the logic board in my 5th Gen (might be 5.5th Gen) is bad, so I can only do testing on my 7th Gen for now.

Does anyone know where I can get a (cheap) logic board, preferrably 5.5th Gen (but 5th is okay as well)?  I would really like to test these drives in both of my iPods, but the buttons don't work on my 30GB so I can't actually test anything except the mounting.  Any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

*EDIT*
I am talking about the ZIF to mSATA adapter, not the PhotoFast adapter. Still no word from them.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #372 of 10,664
if it works in your 7th Gen (make sure it's not a 6th gen), then it will work with an iPod Video 5 or 5.5 gen. The main thing I'm concerned about is if it can support higher quantity of storage. Like what about 64gb microSDXC cards formatted to Fat32.....That would be sick
Quote:
Well, the adapter is in the mail, but unfortunately I found out that the logic board in my 5th Gen (might be 5.5th Gen) is bad, so I can only do testing on my 7th Gen for now.

Does anyone know where I can get a (cheap) logic board, preferrably 5.5th Gen (but 5th is okay as well)?  I would really like to test these drives in both of my iPods, but the buttons don't work on my 30GB so I can't actually test anything except the mounting.  Any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #373 of 10,664
Quote:
if it works in your 7th Gen (make sure it's not a 6th gen), then it will work with an iPod Video 5 or 5.5 gen. The main thing I'm concerned about is if it can support higher quantity of storage. Like what about 64gb microSDXC cards formatted to Fat32.....That would be sick

Oh sorry, I should have specified which adapter I was referring to..forgot it might be kinda confusing because I am testing 2-3 of them lol.  I haven't heard anything from the PhotoFast people yet; I was meaning the mSATA adapter (the one we were discussing on the last page).  But yeah if I hear back from PhotoFast I will definitely test that one.

I'm pretty sure it is a 7th Gen; I just bought it in April of this year from Apple's website, and it's the 160GB slim (if I remember correctly the old 160GB was a thick model).  Good to know that it will work in both if it works in one, but I am still interested in fixing my 30GB as well, so any ideas for logic boards are still welcome :)

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #374 of 10,664
Quote:

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

These normally sell for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back