Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #391 of 10,664
Quote:
Even if that were not working for you, we could ask someone else with a different iPod model to test it if that member were interested to give it a try.

I certainly do not mind splitting the costs of that adapter and shipping with other members who wanna be part of our team to test things out here.

If I were not already owning so many DAPs to begin with, I might get my hands on an iPod with broken hard drive for cheap.

I'm very curious to see if this would work on a 5.5G iPod; if I do end up failing my tests, do you happen to have a 5.5G iPod available for testing if I were to ship the adapters and SSD to you?

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #393 of 10,664
Quote:
Ohhh..yeah I totally missed that one lmao xD  My apologies.  I don't think I have an IDE cable with me anyway (I'm currently away from home for a few months for work), so I think I'll get a ZIF-to-SATA adapter instead.  Here is one I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables-Adapter-Converter/dp/B004UV2WDS/ref=sr_1_39?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1347386382&sr=1-39

Do you think this one would work just as well?

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

^ Sorry, I am lost among those various adapters. Since you already order mSATA-to-SATA adapter, maybe try that first. There is mSATA-to-USB adapter as well.

I just bought an iPod 5.5 80GB with ZIF-to-CF adapter and a 32GB CF. I can help. I will not be available till late October though.

I do not understand why 5.5 gen will work better than your 7 gen though. The only difference I can see is the rockbox firmware, which is more stable in 5.5 gen but still perfectly usable in 7 gen. Rockbox should also eliminate the folder limit of the stock firmware, if there is any.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #394 of 10,664
Quote:

^ Sorry, I am lost among those various adapters. Since you already order mSATA-to-SATA adapter, maybe try that first. There is mSATA-to-USB adapter as well.

I just bought an iPod 5.5 80GB with ZIF-to-CF adapter and a 32GB CF. I can help. I will not be available till late October though.

I do not understand why 5.5 gen will work better than your 7 gen though. The only difference I can see is the rockbox firmware, which is more stable in 5.5 gen but still perfectly usable in 7 gen. Rockbox should also eliminate the folder limit of the stock firmware, if there is any.

Sounds good, just send me a PM/post here when you want to try it out.  I don't know why the 5.5G would be any better, but I have seen that quite a few of the success stories in this thread have been done with a 5/5.5G, while many of the failures are with 7G..perhaps it is just because there have been fewer attempts with this hardware, not really sure.  I heard that the hardware is virtually the same, but in the off chance that the 5.5G will miraculously work, it is worth a shot (in my opinion).

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #395 of 10,664
Hello Ninjalife, I registered to the website only because I got interested in your experiment and I REALLY  would like to know if you make things work on a 7th gen iPod Classic.
Yes, you might be right by saying that there are quite a few people who had successful experiences with the 5.5 but only because the model was easy to get for cheaper prices etc.
people started giving it a go and the trick was done, not to mention the issue with the space and the fact that the 5.5 has a bigger back cover.

That said ...PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!
I'm really looking forward to see if you can fit that ssd hard drive and the adapter in the 7th generation. I'm holding off the buy only waiting to hear if that trick can be done. Please keep us posted.
So far if I had got it right you bought/ordered two pieces.

1) the adapter zif to cf

2) ssd drive 32 gigs

Is that correct? how long before those two will make it to ur house? :)

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #396 of 10,664
Quote:
So far if I had got it right you bought/ordered two pieces.

1) the adapter zif to cf

2) ssd drive 32 gigs

Is that correct? how long before those two will make it to ur house? :)

I actually have already received them, and so far it isn't working :/  I'm waiting on another adapter so I can pre-format the SSD to Fat32, just in case the iPod isn't able to recognize the stock format on the SSD.  The adapter should arrive on Monday or Tuesday, so I'll give you an update then.  I hope it works too!  Thanks for the interest lol.

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #397 of 10,664
I see, man that's quite a disappointment! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though!
maybe it's really just a matter of formatting the disk in a different way - was it like the disk was not being recognized at all? Blank screen?
I have been reading a whole bunch of pages till now but got lost with all the different names of the cables and hard drives.
Can you please give me two links of what you got at the moment and what is the cable you're still waiting for? if you do master this task I think a lot of people will bless the existencethis thread and your help lol

ps in spite of the fact that the steup at the moment doesn't work were you able to close the back cover and make everything stay in the narrow spaces?

Looking fwd to hear form you mate, have a good day

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #398 of 10,664
Quote:
Sounds good, just send me a PM/post here when you want to try it out.  I don't know why the 5.5G would be any better, but I have seen that quite a few of the success stories in this thread have been done with a 5/5.5G, while many of the failures are with 7G..perhaps it is just because there have been fewer attempts with this hardware, not really sure.  I heard that the hardware is virtually the same, but in the off chance that the 5.5G will miraculously work, it is worth a shot (in my opinion).

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

^ Brendan,

My iPod 5.5 gen has arrived and it works fine. If you are in ConUSA and want to test it, please PM me your address. I prefer to ship my iPod to you (instead of you shipping adapters and SSD to me), as I am too busy this month.

I doubt 5.5 gen is that much different from 7 gen, but let us give it a try. There seems to be more headfi owners of 5.5 gen than 7 gen, likely because some think that 5.5 gen has a better DAC and sounds better. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #399 of 10,664
Quote:
I see, man that's quite a disappointment! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed though!
maybe it's really just a matter of formatting the disk in a different way - was it like the disk was not being recognized at all? Blank screen?
I have been reading a whole bunch of pages till now but got lost with all the different names of the cables and hard drives.
Can you please give me two links of what you got at the moment and what is the cable you're still waiting for? if you do master this task I think a lot of people will bless the existencethis thread and your help lol

ps in spite of the fact that the steup at the moment doesn't work were you able to close the back cover and make everything stay in the narrow spaces?

Looking fwd to hear form you mate, have a good day

Here are the two things that I am attempting to get working:
CE-to-mSATA Adapter:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/251140471738
mSATA 32GB SSD:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148610
Both of them easily fit into the 7G 160GB case, which is the slim model.  It actually is very narrow and may need some padding around the sides to keep it from moving, assuming I get it working of course.
Quote:
^ Brendan,

My iPod 5.5 gen has arrived and it works fine. If you are in ConUSA and want to test it, please PM me your address. I prefer to ship my iPod to you (instead of you shipping adapters and SSD to me), as I am too busy this month.

I doubt 5.5 gen is that much different from 7 gen, but let us give it a try. There seems to be more headfi owners of 5.5 gen than 7 gen, likely because some think that 5.5 gen has a better DAC and sounds better. 

I responded to your PM.

Yes, I agree that the DAC is probably why more people own the 5.5G iPods, and that's why they are testing them more.  Hopefully we'll find something that works in both versions (pretty sure anything that works in the 7G will work in the 5.5G, but not sure it will work the other way around).

Brendan "NinjaNife" West

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #400 of 10,664
Thank you for your reply Ninja!
I shall be glad to know how the things will proceed from now on. I don't see why this experiment should not work. Formatting of the hard drive might should be the only reason really.
Keep us posted. I'm checking this thread out on daily basis lol
When will you get the cable to connect the drive to the desktop computer to try formatting in FAT32?

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #401 of 10,664
Quote:
Thank you for your reply Ninja!
I shall be glad to know how the things will proceed from now on. I don't see why this experiment should not work. Formatting of the hard drive might should be the only reason really.
Keep us posted. I'm checking this thread out on daily basis lol
When will you get the cable to connect the drive to the desktop computer to try formatting in FAT32?

For reference, I tried all of these things on an iPod 7G with two different 240GB/256GB SSDs that others HAVE used successfully on the 5.5g units. They did not work at all - even when pre-formatting before installation. The experiment is worthwhile to get a definitive answer - but don't hold your breath. My hypothesis is that there is something about the 7G's internals that prevents these hacks from working.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #402 of 10,664
I find that interesting, as I have talked to a few members that I could have sworn had 240gb HDD in their iPod Classic 7th gens. 
Quote:
For reference, I tried all of these things on an iPod 7G with two different 240GB/256GB SSDs that others HAVE used successfully on the 5.5g units. They did not work at all - even when pre-formatting before installation. The experiment is worthwhile to get a definitive answer - but don't hold your breath. My hypothesis is that there is something about the 7G's internals that prevents these hacks from working.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #405 of 10,664
Because "HDD" = "Hard Disk Drive" - a NORMAL (not SSD) disk drive.
A 240GB HDD DOES work just fine in the 7g - as I stated in earlier posts.

But the two SSDs (NOT the same as "HDDs")  did NOT work - even with pre-formatting on a computer to the right filesystem and filesystem parameters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back