Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #136 of 10,664
Quote:
I just purchased a 120gb Samsung HS12YHA hard drive for my 5.5gen iPod Video (30 gig, slim). Despite reading from numerous sources that it is compatible with the iPod Video, I couldn't get the stock hard drive connector to work.

Since I couldn't return the drive, I popped open my 80gb iPod classic and switched the hard drive connector to my iPod Video. I can get the iPod to recognize the drive (it spins up just fine) in Diagnostic mode. But when I force it into disk mode, neither my computer nor iTunes will recognize it.

Anyone know a solution? I really want to get this to work so that I can enjoy 120 gigs of Rockboxed FLAC goodness. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I ended having problems with my 5th Gen 30GB iPod video and this drive but not like yours.I didn't have any problems connecting the drive and iTunes was able to restore it fine. My problem was that the transfer rates were very slow so I ended up selling it to my boss who had an 80GB Classic in which it worked flawlessly. Can you maybe post some pics of the inside of your 5.5 Gen iPod and the drive?

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #137 of 10,664

Quote:
I ended having problems with my 5th Gen 30GB iPod video and this drive but not like yours.I didn't have any problems connecting the drive and iTunes was able to restore it fine. My problem was that the transfer rates were very slow so I ended up selling it to my boss who had an 80GB Classic in which it worked flawlessly. Can you maybe post some pics of the inside of your 5.5 Gen iPod and the drive?

Did you use the ribbon cable that was already in the iPod, or did you have to use a different one? (PM me so we can continue our discussion)

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #138 of 10,664
Woo hoo! Finally got it working 
biggrin.gif
 Turns out, you have to jam the ribbon cable into the drive REALLY hard in order for it to work. Installed rockbox and am in the process of copying all my music

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #145 of 10,664

Spend a lot of time looking around other sites and use google. yes you can put a bigger hard drive in it, rapidrepair can tell you which ones to get and which will fit. there are also videos on youtube for how to do it etc. You can also start of looking at the beginning of this thread to see which solid state drives will fit. Sorry if this seems blunt at all, just honesty and it will save everyone time. there is enough information out there for you to be able to attempt this yourself.
Quote:
Hi.

I have ipod 5th gen 60g.  can this ipod to bigger hdd...like 200gig or more?

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #146 of 10,664
Has anyone had success putting an SSD into a 7th gen Classic? I'm thinking of getting the Fostex HP-P1 so want an iPod that's compatible with it (and the 160GB one is), but in a shootout between the 64GB Touch and Classic, the Classic may well win if I could stick a solid state drive in there to get 128GB (256GB is too £££) plus a bigger battery. I can live without iOS, the ultra-slim design and retina display for that amount of SSD memory!

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #147 of 10,664

Quote:
Has anyone had success putting an SSD into a 7th gen Classic? I'm thinking of getting the Fostex HP-P1 so want an iPod that's compatible with it (and the 160GB one is), but in a shootout between the 64GB Touch and Classic, the Classic may well win if I could stick a solid state drive in there to get 128GB (256GB is too £££) plus a bigger battery. I can live without iOS, the ultra-slim design and retina display for that amount of SSD memory!

Funny, you should mention the 64g Touch, the 7th gen Classic & the HP P1 as I do happen to have these three components at this time. Even without the SSD memory for some reason I prefer the sound I'm getting from the Classic just a bit more than the Touch(I honestly don't know why that should be, but if I compare similar albums I have on the players about 85% of the time I slightly prefer the Classic) I am a bit curious as to why you would go to a larger battery in the Classic . Does the SSD run on a slightly higher voltage than the (they use to be Toshiba) HDD in the Classic ? I may be right behind you on making this switch . If you go back a few pages in this thread, someone bookmarked a thread on "Mac rumors" on this subject that appeared to have more activity than this one does from some posters who have attempted this switch. I may go back & look to see if there has been any more confirmations of successful changes

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #148 of 10,664
Bigger battery = get a little more life out of the HP-P1 I'm guessing, although it's debatable how much, if any. The form factor of the Touch in conjunction with the HP-P1 is appealing, but the capacity of the Classic nicks it for me. It'd be purely for music so I wouldn't miss any of the iPod's other features, and the Classic still does Genius smart playlists etc. The price of the Classic is nice too, esp. refurb or 2nd hand as it wouldn't matter if the HDD was on it's way out and means more £ towards the SSD (pity the 256GB is so pricey!).

Quote:
Funny, you should mention the 64g Touch, the 7th gen Classic & the HP P1 as I do happen to have these three components at this time. Even without the SSD memory for some reason I prefer the sound I'm getting from the Classic just a bit more than the Touch(I honestly don't know why that should be, but if I compare similar albums I have on the players about 85% of the time I slightly prefer the Classic) I am a bit curious as to why you would go to a larger battery in the Classic . Does the SSD run on a slightly higher voltage than the (they use to be Toshiba) HDD in the Classic ? I may be right behind you on making this switch . If you go back a few pages in this thread, someone bookmarked a thread on "Mac rumors" on this subject that appeared to have more activity than this one does from some posters who have attempted this switch. I may go back & look to see if there has been any more confirmations of successful changes

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #149 of 10,664
If I can find a nice decently priced ssd I'll do the switch myself. I use my classic 99% of the time now,...and an ssd would (to me, YMMV) be perfect.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #150 of 10,664
For those who use the default Apple firmware and put in a big drive, you can't have over 30,000 songs in one playlist or the iPod locks up on the Apple logo.  I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks before I finally read this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back