Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #10,472 of 10,664
My first sd card was a 256mb bought for ~£30-40 for my first digital camera in 2003. I could have had 256 gb for the same price if only I had been patient!

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #10,476 of 10,664
They are annoyingly scarce. I got a few (a variety of different types - no two of them match) on amazon a few years ago. But can't seem to find cases for the thick pod housings anywhere now. Puzzled where all the cases that would, presumably, have been made for the thicker model back when it was in production have gone. Guess they all got dumped in a landfill somewhere?
For now, I am using one of those pull-string storage pouches that you get with IEMs.
It's not ideal, but it will work well enough until I find a more permanent solution.

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #10,478 of 10,664
I managed to get another 160GB iPod Classic. However, it is one of the chunkier ones from 2006 or 2007.
Does anyone know where I can get a case to fit it? All of the cases I can find online are for the slimmer 2009 model.
I might have to resort to keeping it inside a sock or something.

I supply myself here.....
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328....store_pc_groupList.8148356.26.79433acexYnVjH

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...g0o.store_pc_home.smartJustForYou_822554293.0

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #10,480 of 10,664
Need a hand here. I want to copy my music from a Mac-formatted-iPod 5.5G to a Windows 7-machine. Any ideas?
iTunes? There are 3rd party tools that might allow this to happen, but if iTunes wasn't the library that wrote the songs to the iPod in the first place, I don't think you can use it in reverse, i.e. use an iPod with songs synced from somewhere else to populate a new iTunes library.

Apple considered that as possibly aiding and abetting in illegal file sharing, but there were at one time 3rd party software tools that allowed it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #10,481 of 10,664
Use Paragon HFS tools to be able to read HFS iPod. From there, just copy all the files off it if programs like Media Monkey or the like can't read it.

But this is why I recommend to everyone to get iTunes Match if you sync with iTunes. It makes it a lot easier to just have everything migrate to a PC from a Mac or vice versa. Also everything is saved in the cloud: ratings, smart playlists, songs, etc.

If Media Monkey can't read the drive, I'd copy all the files off it and load them into iTunes (preferably with iTunes Match on) and let it clean up the files. The files should be tagged so you can just import them in.

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #10,484 of 10,664
A few questions for those in the know. I have an iPhone SE with about 60gb of music stored in Lossless.
I also have an older iPhone 7 with an Apple adapter and Extreme DAC.

I thinking of getting a Classic ipod 5.5 edition to mod. That way my music can be on a separate player, I won't have to transfer/update anytime my phone is nearly obsolete, and I won't have a multiple connectors, wires, adapters to worry about. In this time, is the ipod 5.5 still a worthy project and if so which route should I take?

Thank you !!!

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #10,485 of 10,664
A few questions for those in the know. I have an iPhone SE with about 60gb of music stored in Lossless.
I also have an older iPhone 7 with an Apple adapter and Extreme DAC.

I thinking of getting a Classic ipod 5.5 edition to mod. That way my music can be on a separate player, I won't have to transfer/update anytime my phone is nearly obsolete, and I won't have a multiple connectors, wires, adapters to worry about. In this time, is the ipod 5.5 still a worthy project and if so which route should I take?

Thank you !!!
Welcome to the mod world ! Indeed 5th or 5.5th gen are good choice they are easy to open, have the best DAC and can onboard very large batteries. Note that the superior audio quality of 5.5th gen seems to be a myth as 5th and 5.5th have the same DAC.

As a start I would recommend you go to the FAQ of the iPod discord (https://discord.gg/ipod) you will find very useful advises about iPod mod (what to buy, compatibility charts etc)

Just be aware that moding is addictive! I started 2022 with the resolution not to get any iPod this year and I have already bought 4 of them… Mostly “spare or repair” with the view to use the parts left from the previous mods. And so on so forth…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back