Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 6, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #10,486 of 10,664
Just be aware that moding is addictive! I started 2022 with the resolution not to get any iPod this year and I have already bought 4 of them… Mostly “spare or repair” with the view to use the parts left from the previous mods. And so on so forth…

Yeah, exactly. It's an endless chain! Keep having parts left over that eventually demand I buy more parts in order to make use of them...

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #10,487 of 10,664
I managed to get another 160GB iPod Classic. However, it is one of the chunkier ones from 2006 or 2007.
Does anyone know where I can get a case to fit it? All of the cases I can find online are for the slimmer 2009 model.
I might have to resort to keeping it inside a sock or something.

Oh, it seems there are some Chinese sellers on US ebay that sell larger-size cases, though only the very soft latex/plastic ones. Was wondering whether they were just the smaller ones that they expected you to stretch to fit, but having got one it seems they are the correct size for the larger classic. What you can't get, it seems, are larger cases of the hard type.

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #10,488 of 10,664
My goal is to have a player that I can keep for years and not have to worry about phone upgrades. And not needed additional GB's for music on a phone means if mine breaks or becomes obsolete I won't have to spend hundreds more for the memory. One friend of mine has had his flip phone for years because that's all he needs. He doesn't play games, doesn't store music on it, an rarely uses it. He had to purchase a new phone last year because his old phone, which was perfectly fine, wouldn't work in his area because it wasn't 5G and his area converted. Thank you for the input and info!

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #10,489 of 10,664
Modifiers I have a question to ask, this iPod that I refurbished with 512 GB of SD a few weeks ago has the new front and rear cover not perfectly coinciding, has a similar situation ever happened to you and if so how did you solve it?
This is a stupid aesthetic factor but it annoys me enormously.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #10,490 of 10,664
Not really an expert, but when that sort of thing has happened I've re-opened the thing and tried to bend the sides of the backplate back inwards more (by grippling it with a pair of pliers + some soft cloth to try and prevent them causing scratches). Also making sure all the tabs on the inside of the backplate are bent vertically as they should be (rather than sticking out at right-angles).

Not sure though because in the first pic it looks as if your problem is the back-plate bottom side is bent outwards a bit - but not sure what's going on at the other end.

Of course you run the risk of making it worse in the course of re-opening it. Other option might be to just to buy a new replacement backplate, then re-open and (very carefully) transfer the audio-jack across to the new pristine one, then reclose it and the new backplate hopefully will fit perfectly.

Modifiers I have a question to ask, this iPod that I refurbished with 512 GB of SD a few weeks ago has the new front and rear cover not perfectly coinciding, has a similar situation ever happened to you and if so how did you solve it?
This is a stupid aesthetic factor but it annoys me enormously.

Apr 6, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #10,491 of 10,664
Not really an expert, but when that sort of thing has happened I've re-opened the thing and tried to bend the sides of the backplate back inwards more (by grippling it with a pair of pliers + some soft cloth to try and prevent them causing scratches). Also making sure all the tabs on the inside of the backplate are bent vertically as they should be (rather than sticking out at right-angles).

Not sure though because in the first pic it looks as if your problem is the back-plate bottom side is bent outwards a bit - but not sure what's going on at the other end.

Of course you run the risk of making it worse in the course of re-opening it. Other option might be to just to buy a new replacement backplate, then re-open and (very carefully) transfer the audio-jack across to the new pristine one, then reclose it and the new backplate hopefully will fit perfectly.
I'd have said the same except he's indicated these were new front and back replacement pieces, so not likely bent while being pried apart previously.

In that case it just looks like an ill-fitting pair, not sure much can be done about that.

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #10,492 of 10,664
I'd have said the same except he's indicated these were new front and back replacement pieces, so not likely bent while being pried apart previously.

In that case it just looks like an ill-fitting pair, not sure much can be done about that.

I've never had a brand new front/back have that sort of fitting problem though. If it hasn't been forcibly opened before then not sure what would be causing that (I would have guessed that the internal tab things at the bottom end are sticking out horizontally and thus pushing the case back out of true, but if it's a brand new back I don't see why that would happen).

Only other thought is that maybe a screw has fallen out of the frame/front assembly or is just not screwed in fully? Have had that happen and then the rogue screw pushes the backplate out of position.

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #10,493 of 10,664
@ThinWalls @MikeyFresh Thanks for your support
These are brand new front and rear covers, with the back cover thicker to be able to insert a larger battery; another ipod i completed some time ago from the same vendor also presented the same problem.
Unfortunately, opening to verify the problem almost certainly involves ruining the front or rear cover and I not having much desire also because the back cover is personalized with laser engraving of the original serial.
In any case, nothing has been changed in the covers, only closed between them.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #10,494 of 10,664
Yeah, that's odd if it's a brand new housing. Don't know what's going on, in that case. Never had an ill-fitting back like that except when it was a previously-used one that had gotten a bit bent out of shape. In that picture it also looks as if the centre-button might be protruding a little more than it should, though it's hard to tell without physically feeling it.

May 15, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #10,496 of 10,664
Does anyone know how these 2 places are getting 2-4TB to work?
A lot of what I have read says 2TB is limit because of FAT32
Some people have said in the Dankpod video comments that the limit is actually 2.2TB and that a quad adapter with 1TB + 1TB +128GB + 64GB gets you to the limit
Do 1TB cards work in Tarkan quad adapters? - i read a lot of people on here having issues as soon as they start using 1tb cards
I want to do some mods soon and it would be good to use 4 x 1TB cards but I have not seen any solid proof it works besides link below. All the forums says ‘2TB max’
My other solutions are 4 x 512GB or 2 x 1TB + 128GB + 64GB and get just under 2.2TB assuming the dankpods comments are correct and the limit is actually 2.2TB and not 2TB

do new cards have to be formatted directly on a PC first or can you just put them in the ipod straight out the packet?
I plan on using sandisk extreme pro

I only have 7G classics. Not looking forward to opening them. I read that its very hard :frowning2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153957715335

https://irefresher.com/collections/...oducts/1tb-to-4tb-apple-classic-5th-gen-black

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #10,497 of 10,664
Does anyone know how these 2 places are getting 2-4TB to work?
A lot of what I have read says 2TB is limit because of FAT32
Some people have said in the Dankpod video comments that the limit is actually 2.2TB and that a quad adapter with 1TB + 1TB +128GB + 64GB gets you to the limit
Do 1TB cards work in Tarkan quad adapters? - i read a lot of people on here having issues as soon as they start using 1tb cards
I want to do some mods soon and it would be good to use 4 x 1TB cards but I have not seen any solid proof it works besides link below. All the forums says ‘2TB max’
My other solutions are 4 x 512GB or 2 x 1TB + 128GB + 64GB and get just under 2.2TB assuming the dankpods comments are correct and the limit is actually 2.2TB and not 2TB

do new cards have to be formatted directly on a PC first or can you just put them in the ipod straight out the packet?
I plan on using sandisk extreme pro

I only have 7G classics. Not looking forward to opening them. I read that its very hard :frowning2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153957715335

https://irefresher.com/collections/...oducts/1tb-to-4tb-apple-classic-5th-gen-black

No idea about getting beyond the FAT32 limit (really not convinced it can be done...but would be fascinated to know if someone has managed it), but I have 1Tb cards in quad adaptors and they seem to work (so far!).

May 16, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #10,498 of 10,664
2,347 USD for a 4Tb iPod!…
Is it serious?

May 16, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #10,499 of 10,664
I asked the ebay seller how they get around FAT32 limit but i got a rude reply and i dont think they are going to reveal how.
I also did some research and it is possible to format large drives over 2TB to Fat32. You just have to use some programs to do it as windows it self cant format drives over 32GB to Fat32. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-large-hard-drive-fat-fat32/ So now i really cant see why this would not work in ipod.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #10,500 of 10,664
I mean, would it _technically_ work with 4TB if you stuck with the original firmware (maybe only if it were Mac formatted and synched with a Mac)? You wouldn't be able to use it all because of the limit on the number of tracks that the OF imposes on you, but it would report you had 4TB. The catch being that to get round the track limit issue you'd need to RB it, and to RB it you'd need to use FAT32, so then would be back to the 2TB limit.

It doesn't sound as if RB is going to get an update to exFAT any time soon - I get the impression that that's a massive undertaking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back