Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 11, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #10,516 of 10,664
What price are you paying for 1Tb card ? I bought a fake one on eBay once and now only stick to Amazon Basic. Which is not so cheap…

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #10,517 of 10,664
… Well cheap is relative as I remember being very happy to pay around £30 for 256mb SD card in the good old days.

Jun 11, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #10,518 of 10,664
What price are you paying for 1Tb card ? I bought a fake one on eBay once and now only stick to Amazon Basic. Which is not so cheap…

Not sure if that question's addressed to me, but I didn't bother with 1TB cards (which are more expensive/Gb than smaller capacity ones) as 4x512Gb hits the maximum 2Tb of FAT32 anyway, so there seems little benefit (at the moment) in using larger capacity cards. Cards really seem to go up-and-down in price quite randomly on Amazon, but (genuine!) 512gb ones came down to £45 recently (plus Amazon gave me some random special deal "use it or lose it" discount).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #10,519 of 10,664

I would never buy any memory card on Ebay, I tend to assume they are all fakes on there. A long time ago I did find a seller of what turned out to be genuine 128gb sd cards on there, but that was a gamble (and by the time I discovered they were selling genuine ones they'd mostly all gone). Fakes are such a scourge, they make it hard for genuine sellers as well as for buyers.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #10,522 of 10,664
Happy Sunday!

What is the best way to transfer music to a (non-modded and with original firmware) 7th generation iPod Classic without using iTunes? I'm on Mac.

Back at the beginning of the century I used to use Mediafour Xplay which I liked a lot but it's EOL since 2010.

I had a look at Waltr which looks OK.
Any advice?

Thanks!

Jul 3, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #10,524 of 10,664
Happy Sunday!

What is the best way to transfer music to a (non-modded and with original firmware) 7th generation iPod Classic without using iTunes? I'm on Mac.

Back at the beginning of the century I used to use Mediafour Xplay which I liked a lot but it's EOL since 2010.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I don't know about the "best" way. And these days I use rockbox exclusively (and don't have a Mac) so haven't really done this very often. But for what it's worth, I think Media Monkey can sync to an ipod in the correct form for the original firmware to understand. I think I got that working in the past.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #10,525 of 10,664
Having yet another frustrating attempt to get an iflash working.

Tried to upgrade the iflash quad ipod that was 512+400+400+256 to 512+400+400+512, Big mistake, should have just left it well alone (as it was working fine coming out at about 1.4Tb)..

Now every time I restore it with iTunes it comes out as 635Gb (instead of about 1680Gb). Disk manager can see the full 1.6Tb, as can AOMEII, but explorer and iTunes only see 635Gb. I can even reformat it with AOMEiII to the correct capacity, but if I try and restore it with iTunes it's back to 635Gb again. Even swapping the micro SD cards around doesn't make any difference, still get 635Gb. The ipod itself reports having the full capacity.

This happened once before and that time the only solution was to swap the cards around with another iFlash ipod. It was as if two particular cards wouldn't work together in the same ipod.

This is really puzzling. Why would AOMEII and disk manager be able to see the full capacity, but Explorer and iTunes not be able to? What would be going on there? And why would it always come out at 635Gb, no matter what order I put the cards in the iFlash?

Edit - gave up, and went back to the original set of cards, which works. What a monumental waste of time. Plus the new card seems to work in another ipod. Really does seem that the issue is some cards just don't want to work together in the same iFlash. Now going to have to spend 24 hours resyncing this ipod to get back to where I started!

Edit2 - now tempted to try using that 512gb card to increase the capacity of another ipod (one that currently has 128+128+200+256), but really not keen on going through the whole palavar again (and having to resync hundreds of Gb again) if it's possible the same weird crap will happen.
Really baffled - tested the new 512gb card with h2testw and it passed - it's a legit card. So why the hell would it not work in that first iflash ipod with the other cards? And why did the capacity keep coming out as 635Gb specifically? Why that particular number? And why only in iTunes/Explorer, when it appeared as the correct size in disk manager/AOMEII? Nothing about this stuff makes any sense.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #10,526 of 10,664
Happy Sunday!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

So Waltr is not option, even if it works well it's incredibly overpriced just to transfer songs to an iPod.

Under MacOS Catalina it's easy to transfer songs from a folder to an iPod using the finder which is really nice!
BUT cover arts do not display on the iPod :frowning2:
They are embedded in the song, I've tried with different sizes, different format but it doesn't work. Songs play OK and other tags are also OK.
If transferred with Waltr cover art displays correctly.

Any clue?

Thanks for your help!

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #10,529 of 10,664
I'm almost willing to bet that tracks you think have the album art embedded do not. The iTunes program did not embed album art by default, you had to do that manually yourself when ripping your own CDs.

There is no good reason why when transferring a file using the Finder that album art would somehow become stripped out, I simply can't think of any way that would happen. I'm betting those tracks do not have the album art embedded, their album art was being stored in a separate folder by iTunes/Apple Music.

Yeah, that seems possible. I don't have much to offer as I don't use a Mac (or iTunes anymore). I do remember the issue I had was when you did put art in albums manually with iTunes it would embed them but turn them into .png format, which Rockbox doesn't display. But I guess that's an unrelated issue to whatever is going on here!

Worth checking that the tracks really do have the art embedded (maybe look at them with mp3tag or whatever the equivalent is for a Mac?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back