Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
May 16, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #10,501 of 10,664
I only have 7G classics. Not looking forward to opening them. I read that its very hard :frowning2:

Yup, it's a complete pain. Really hard to do without bending/mangling the back cover and/or scratching the front. If I can do it without damaging the LCD or breaking the battery connector off the logic board, or breaking the audio plug cable (or getting my own blood smeared all over the thing!) then I call it a 'win'.

May 16, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #10,502 of 10,664
From what i am reading, you need Rockbox for it to work.
The link above explains how you can format above 32gb with FAT32. No need for Exfat

I think should get a used classic to practice opening then because 2 of mine are new still and the other one i have had since new but its still brand new condition, not a mark on it.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #10,503 of 10,664
The link above explains how you can format above 32gb with FAT32. No need for Exfat

I think should get a used classic to practice opening then because 2 of mine are new still and the other one i have had since new but its still brand new condition, not a mark on it.

Yeah, not a bad idea.

I just openned (an old, faulty) one, and it was, as usual, a tiresome struggle. You could always just order in advance a nice new shiny backplate, so if the existing one gets mangled you can just swap the new one in. The difficulty then is you have to transfer the existing audio plug/'hold assumbly and battery from the existing one, and that presents a whole new set of hazards (mainly, the risk the audio plug cable will break in the course of getting it out, because the glue they use to fix the batteries tends to stick to the audio cable as well)

May 18, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #10,504 of 10,664

The point is that ExFat is needed to use volumes beyond 2Tb, though. Not sure what you mean by 32Gb.

May 25, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #10,506 of 10,664
Built a PC and wondering what alternative there is for iTunes to sync music to ipod classic. Only reason is iTunes doesn't sync cover art correctly when using a MacBook.

Dunno, as I use Rockbox exclusively, I just use drag-n-drop (or, rather, a robocopy script). I think media monkey can sync to an ipod in a format useable by the original firmware, though.

May 25, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #10,507 of 10,664
Dunno, as I use Rockbox exclusively, I just use drag-n-drop (or, rather, a robocopy script). I think media monkey can sync to an ipod in a format useable by the original firmware, though.
transferring music now. to backup music from iPod to external storage or usb , looks like i can drag and drop into a folder which i tried out. going to test iPod once completed.

Update: All 2300+ albums transferred and play.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #10,508 of 10,664
I recently had a catastrophic failure while trying to update Rockbox on my 2 terapods causing me to wipe & re-load both. They have Tarkan’s adapters. One is a Quad with (2) Samsung 512gb U3 cards. The other is a Dual with (2) PNY 512gb U3 cards. The Quad had transfer speeds about 7.5MB/sec & I was able to tansfer about 800gb of files in one shot. The Dual had transfer speeds of 4.5MB/sec & I needed to break up loading into 2 transfers to keep the iPod from crashing. I should also mention the Quad is about 3 years newer than the Dual.

Has anyone else noticed these differences between the Quad & the Dual? I’m curious if it could possibly be the motherboard in my Dual that’s causing these differences.

May 27, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #10,509 of 10,664
I recently had a catastrophic failure while trying to update Rockbox on my 2 terapods causing me to wipe & re-load both. They have Tarkan’s adapters. One is a Quad with (2) Samsung 512gb U3 cards. The other is a Dual with (2) PNY 512gb U3 cards. The Quad had transfer speeds about 7.5MB/sec & I was able to tansfer about 800gb of files in one shot. The Dual had transfer speeds of 4.5MB/sec & I needed to break up loading into 2 transfers to keep the iPod from crashing. I should also mention the Quad is about 3 years newer than the Dual.

Has anyone else noticed these differences between the Quad & the Dual? I’m curious if it could possibly be the motherboard in my Dual that’s causing these differences.

I have gotten a sense that the quad is faster than the dual, though I haven't formally timed it and I would guess that it depends on the specific cards you have in them?

What I definitely find is that the quads are far more reliable at writing to disk in Rockbox mode, i.e. for building the database.

I can now (with current RB dev versions) build the database on quad ipods on the device itself (no longer need to do it using the simulator). But it's still a tiresome process on the dual flash ipods - I find the database will build and then disappear, or get stuck in the 'commit' step, and need to be built again, repeatedly. Sometimes will have to connect it to the PC and delete the old *.tcd files and start again from scratch. The quad ipods don't seem to have that problem.

May 27, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #10,510 of 10,664
I have gotten a sense that the quad is faster than the dual, though I haven't formally timed it and I would guess that it depends on the specific cards you have in them?

What I definitely find is that the quads are far more reliable at writing to disk in Rockbox mode, i.e. for building the database.

I can now (with current RB dev versions) build the database on quad ipods on the device itself (no longer need to do it using the simulator). But it's still a tiresome process on the dual flash ipods - I find the database will build and then disappear, or get stuck in the 'commit' step, and need to be built again, repeatedly. Sometimes will have to connect it to the PC and delete the old *.tcd files and start again from scratch. The quad ipods don't seem to have that problem.
I've never used the database so I can't speak to that.

Is your quad significantly newer than your dual? I wonder if Tarkan has improved the technology in the newer duals.

May 27, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #10,511 of 10,664
I've never used the database so I can't speak to that.

Is your quad significantly newer than your dual? I wonder if Tarkan has improved the technology in the newer duals.

Yeah, the dual iflashes I have are older. That might be a factor. Seems as if the ata-driver changes to recent dev versions of RB were enough to make it work well-enough with the quads, but still not so great with those duals. It's incredibly frustrating trying to get the database working with them - sometimes get it to work after rebuilding it 3 or 4 times.

May 30, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #10,513 of 10,664
Hi all, what kind of charger that also has a detachable cable can i use to charge the ipod classic? I recently bought some on Amazon and then sent them back because they don't charge the ipod classic at all.
For example this does not load.....

https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Charger-LENCENT-Worldwide-International/dp/B077VFGNYZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OWZJ9YGDUMT7&keywords=LENCENT+charge+usb+3+doors&qid=1653841768&sprefix=lencent+charge+usb+3+door,aps,203&sr=8-1
Dunno, that one doesn't look any different from the ones I use. I've found any standard USB-charger works. Could it be your ipod battery or your 30-pin cable that's the problem? Does the thing charge OK when connected to the computer? If all else fails you could try an old firewire charger?

May 30, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #10,514 of 10,664
@ThinWalls
the battery is new, the cable is ok (I have tested other cables and all they work).
I have this charger https://www.ebay.it/itm/184059519815?hash=item2adacd6347:g:C4MAAOSwJSFh-mzf

and it works with all 5 iPods I own but I still need one or two ipod classic chargers with detachable cable to charge everything.
I have tried with several cell phone chargers and although they have 5V output flights and 1A maximum current they do not charge any of the 5 iPods I own.
I don't want to spend a lot of bucks to buy the original apple power supply i know Ican find compatible power supplies without spending triple the price for an original apple one.
I think that the USB output of many power supplies have the USB contacts disabled and do not carry the current necessary to charge the iPod.
I would have to make some adapters to measure the current and voltage in each USB pin of any power supply compatible and working with iPods but it would be just a check that doesn't solve the problem if I don't find one that is the same to buy.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #10,515 of 10,664
Sheesh. Built another Terapod (had to make use of that custom yellow clickwheel I have, and take advantage of one of those weirdly-random Amazon price-cuts for memory cards) and turns out it will take 30-35 hours to do a full sync (taken 7 hours to do 250Gb, with 1Tb still to go -though it seems to speed up when it gets to the point where it's copying fewer, larger, files)

Badly need a mod to update an ipod from USB2.1 to USB3.1

(or maybe just a completely different device!)

Heh - actually took 23 and half hours to complete a full sync in the end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back