Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #10,306 of 10,664
I've got 5 & use them all. I do have a collection of non-modded ones that is too large. Probably about 10. I've gotten parts from some of them. Not sure how many are intact. I only have 80gb 5.5. They open very easily. What generation do you use?

Most of mine are 7th gen, plus a couple of 5.5gens. The original idea was to sell off older ones as I went along to pay for upgrading one or two 'best' ones, but it hasn't worked out like that! I think I'll start giving them as birthday presents for friends and family.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #10,307 of 10,664
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #10,308 of 10,664
Worked out that I have nearly 40 modded ipods now, ranging from 128gb ones with generic adaptors to 1-2Tb ones with Tarkan adaptors. Which is seriously excessive. I have thought of selling them, particularly the 240gb hard-drive based ones that I started with. But I find the whole business of selling anything on ebay to be unbearably stressful, given all the things that can go innocently wrong and then all the further dangers if you get a dishonest buyer. It's a lot easier for selling simple low-value items that "just work", like one's surplus cds, but with complex high-ish value things like this there are so many possible ways the transaction could go wrong.

Also people won't buy from you until you've built a rep by selling lots, and if you sell lots you could come to the attention of the taxman who could decide you are running a business (rather than just trying to get back some of the money you've spent on an irrational obsession!).

Plus I find I don't want to part with them as they are all slightly different.
Hells! Bells! - 40 ?? I thought I was bad. Most I've ever had is 15. Usually prune them down by putting about 10 or so back on eBay December-time to catch the Christmas Buyers. Then I think - OK, got a tidy Paypal Balance - no more purchases ! ... But after a couple of weeks, the addiction creeps in & I start buying faulty ones again. ...Always keep back 2 x 7th Gen (can't beat that 'COVERFLOW' !) .. 2x 5th Gen Slims (Rockboxed) & 2x 5th Gen Thick (Rockboxed, of course !) - all with Tarkan Quads up to 350gbs (my total Music collection comes to about 180gb/27,000 tracks). Those 6 are almost like my children - Just couldn't sell tham ... ever ! :) ... Good to know there are Guys out there even more 'addicted' than I am ! :)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #10,309 of 10,664
It's very odd with those generic very-cheap Chinese adaptors (i.e. not Tarkan's). Never worked out what determines whether they work or not. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Have quite a few 5th gens working with those things, and at one point had a couple of 6th gens that seemed to work. But I'm sure I've had some cases where they just wouldn't work at all, as they clearly aren't of the same design standard as Tarkan's. Maybe depends on the sd card or on the exact sd/cf adaptor you pair it with?

Don't think I've gotten any of those to work beyond 128gb capacity - has anyone out there managed that? Is it possible with the 'right' sd/cf adaptor (other than a tarkan one)? Would be a lot cheaper than going with Tarkan's.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #10,310 of 10,664
This is my first post on this site. This looked like as appropriate of a thread as I could find. I have two video 5th gen ipods. One is modified(1tb)and the other is a 60 g. I have a few different receivers that will pass the digital output from a 6 or 7 gen ipod classic, but can't seem to find anything that will pull the digital output from those 5th gen videos. At one point I was able to get my yamaha amp w/ usba port to pick up the modified 5th gen, but the next time I tried , it wouldn't work? Do any docks work with these 5gen video ipods? Sorry to hijack the thread but I've trying to get an answer on this for a week.

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #10,311 of 10,664
This is my first post on this site. This looked like as appropriate of a thread as I could find. I have two video 5th gen ipods. One is modified(1tb)and the other is a 60 g. I have a few different receivers that will pass the digital output from a 6 or 7 gen ipod classic, but can't seem to find anything that will pull the digital output from those 5th gen videos. At one point I was able to get my yamaha amp w/ usba port to pick up the modified 5th gen, but the next time I tried , it wouldn't work? Do any docks work with these 5gen video ipods? Sorry to hijack the thread but I've trying to get an answer on this for a week.
There were a few docks that worked with the Gen. 5.5 Video, most notably the Wadia 170i, and Pure i-20, which are long discontinued. You can probably find a used one on eBay though.

There was also the Onkyo UP-A1, but it only worked with a compatible Onkyo receiver that had a so-called "universal port".

Mar 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #10,312 of 10,664
There were a few docks that worked with the Gen. 5.5 Video, most notably the Wadia 170i, and Pure i-20, which are long discontinued. You can probably find a used one on eBay though.

There was also the Onkyo UP-A1, but it only worked with a compatible Onkyo receiver that had a so-called "universal port".
That seems to be the consensus. My 5th gen video doesn't have the search function , so that means You can't play digital output through the 30 pin to an external dac. I can't figure out why my modified 1 tb video, 5th gen w/o search function was ouputting music through it's 30 pin , into my yamaha's usba port. I haven't been able to get it to do that the last couple times. I'm baffled. Could it have been passing an analog signal through the 30 pin to the amp? I was testing it head to head with my other 5th gen. The other one was playing the same content via headphone, and I was switching back and forth between it and the one plugged into the usb. They were both using the ipod firmware, and the one playing via the 30 pin sounded quite a bit better. I'm baffled

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #10,313 of 10,664

I have another ipod mod question. Is there any advantage of using ssd over sdxc cards in an ipd 7 modification?

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #10,315 of 10,664
No, in fact it's the other way around, 1.8" SSDs were both less reliable, and more power hungry/battery killing than SD cards in all initial testing, plus more expensive and harder to find compatible units. So SSDs were pretty much dropped in favor of SD cards.

While I did build one iPod with an mSATA SSD, I ended up dismantling it due to the additional battery consumption issue, it was stable, but it whacked even the large extended size battery too fast.

Perhaps some of that has changed, but I don't think so, SD will be cheaper and consume less battery than an SSD.
Any advice on what to look for if trying to buy a modified ipod on ebay.? Model, parts, seller etc.?

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #10,316 of 10,664
Any advice on what to look for if trying to buy a modified ipod on ebay.? Model, parts, seller etc.?

Hey mate, try to buy a used/broken iPod and mod one yourself. I did it the first time myself and it's super easy. There are great manuals to mod it yourself: https://de.ifixit.com. It's gonna probably be cheaper and much more satisfying! I bought my parts here: https://www.idemigods.com. it's probably cheaper somewhere else, but I can say, everything I bought there worked.

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #10,318 of 10,664
Hey mate, try to buy a used/broken iPod and mod one yourself. I did it the first time myself and it's super easy. There are great manuals to mod it yourself: https://de.ifixit.com. It's gonna probably be cheaper and much more satisfying! I bought my parts here: https://www.idemigods.com. it's probably cheaper somewhere else, but I can say, everything I bought there worked.
Have given some thought to that. I've got a lot of plates in the air this time of year. Maybe next winter. I could probably manage to physically open and add hardware parts to the machine, but fear the firmware and board implementation would turn into a fiasco. Not my specialty.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #10,319 of 10,664
Have given some thought to that. I've got a lot of plates in the air this time of year. Maybe next winter. I could probably manage to physically open and add hardware parts to the machine, but fear the firmware and board implementation would turn into a fiasco. Not my specialty.

It‘s definitely not my specialty either, i was surprised how easy it was. anybody can do it imho.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #10,320 of 10,664
I have an iPod v5/5.5 and the battery has stuck on 'please wait as the battery is very low. Its been stuck on this screen for many hours without shifting. Is there a way to force the battery into life? Any help appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back