Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 19, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #10,006 of 10,664
Thank you for the information, yes I have a 128GB PNY UHS card ready in my pile of bits. Just needed confirmation on itunes as I have read mixed reports of the latest PC versions not supporting the Classic.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #10,010 of 10,664
Would anyone be willing to edit a Rockbox theme for me? Or recommend some clean cut themes?

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #10,011 of 10,664
Oct 1, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #10,012 of 10,664
Hey anyone ever think of moving this thread to a discord server? Itd be really cool to have an organized collection of peoples questions, peoples modding photos and peoples tutorials and steps they did to make their ipods cool

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #10,014 of 10,664
Could someone help me with the replacement battery I need to buy?

I have a 5.5g (originally 80gb) video, which I converted to use 128gb SSD many years ago. I forget now if it used CF or onboard memory, but it was a standard conversion kit. The kit came with a sub board, a larger battery since there would be more space in the ipod without the hard drive, and also a replacement slimmer 30gb-size back cover (labeled 128gb) which I installed. Everything went smoothly (although a tight fit) and it's been working for years. Hopefully with that information the seasoned experts here know what I'm describing, for me it was just so long ago that I don't remember the exact details.

Anyway, time has come to replace the battery, and I have no idea what I need.

Could someone link or give the specs of what I need?
I'll pull it apart and post a pic if needed, but suspect someone here will know straight away.
Thanks in advance!

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #10,016 of 10,664
Could someone help me with the replacement battery I need to buy?

I have a 5.5g (originally 80gb) video, which I converted to use 128gb SSD many years ago. I forget now if it used CF or onboard memory, but it was a standard conversion kit. The kit came with a sub board, a larger battery since there would be more space in the ipod without the hard drive, and also a replacement slimmer 30gb-size back cover (labeled 128gb) which I installed. Everything went smoothly (although a tight fit) and it's been working for years. Hopefully with that information the seasoned experts here know what I'm describing, for me it was just so long ago that I don't remember the exact details.

Anyway, time has come to replace the battery, and I have no idea what I need.

Could someone link or give the specs of what I need?
I'll pull it apart and post a pic if needed, but suspect someone here will know straight away.
Thanks in advance!

Would be much easier to say if you at least knew whether it was an SSD or CF or SD card mod. They are all different things.

If it's an sd card mod then, as you are using a slim case, I guess it must be a quad adaptor and you have either a 2000mah battery or one of the smaller proportion 1900mah ones, or a larger 1900mah one but you have modified the case frame to make it fit.

But I suppose it might be one of those early native zif SSD mods, and if IIRC they used a unique kind of battery (thick and square-ish) that was labelled as 2400mah. But I thought those needed a thick case, can't remember now.

As it's a slim case it can't be the one labelled 3000mah. As you say it's a larger battery it's not the standard ipod one. So it's either a 2000mah one, a 1900mah one, or the SSD-only 2400mah one.

I'd say just open it and look and see what kind of battery it is, then find another one of those on-line somewhere.

(edit - by 'somewhere' I pretty much mean Ebay! Most likely thing is it's a 2000mah one, but really you should open it and check first)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #10,017 of 10,664
Has anyone had success with the integral 512gb micro sd card with iflash quad and rockbox in an ipod classic? I've found the smaller integral cards work, but am wary of trying the larger one because it seems quite hit-and-miss which cards work. Also curious about the 512gb integral full size SD and the Lexar 512gb sd card.
(for full size cards PNY always seemed to be best, and Kingston wouldn't work at all, but be interested in people's experiences with other brands/sizes).

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #10,018 of 10,664
I just picked up a very used, yet fully functional iPod 5.5 the other day. I'm waiting on the new housing and back from China, but while I wait I'm looking at ways to connect it to my Fiio E17 Alpen 2. Finding an iPod LOD is nearly impossible these days, and trying to DIY one is equally as difficult, since I can't seem to find a 30-pin connector anywhere. I guess I have a couple questions: 1.) does anyone have any sources for an iPod LOD that doesn't cost a small fortune?, 2.) any sources for 30-pin connectors (preferably with a cable slot on the side), and 3.) would a 30-pin to micro usb adapter like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Female-Micr...547876?hash=item48c79c32a4:g:eoQAAOSwN6Rcvqcp work if I plugged in a micro-usb OTG cable between it and my USB DAC?

Thanks for any and all help!

Nov 15, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #10,020 of 10,664
I just picked up a very used, yet fully functional iPod 5.5 the other day. I'm waiting on the new housing and back from China, but while I wait I'm looking at ways to connect it to my Fiio E17 Alpen 2. Finding an iPod LOD is nearly impossible these days, and trying to DIY one is equally as difficult, since I can't seem to find a 30-pin connector anywhere. I guess I have a couple questions: 1.) does anyone have any sources for an iPod LOD that doesn't cost a small fortune?, 2.) any sources for 30-pin connectors (preferably with a cable slot on the side), and 3.) would a 30-pin to micro usb adapter like this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Female-Micr...547876?hash=item48c79c32a4:g:eoQAAOSwN6Rcvqcp work if I plugged in a micro-usb OTG cable between it and my USB DAC?

Thanks for any and all help!

You have more issues there than just the cable I'm afraid.

First, the Gen 5.5 was an "in-between" design in terms of digital output, while it was the first iPod to offer it, it does not operate in USB Host mode, device mode only for that model. That makes it very limited in terms of what DACs it is compatible with, the list will be incredibly short.

Second, even if it were a Gen 6/7 that does operate in USB Host mode, you'd still have the issue of authentication. Apple made these devices shake hands only when both sides have the authentication chip, designated by the MFi (Made For iPod) certification logo. Only those DACs with proper MFi credentials will actually shake hands digitally with an iPod.

If I had to guess I'd say the E17 is incompatible, but you could always try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back