1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by freeze, Aug 12, 2011.
First

Back
656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665
667 668
Next

Last
  1. potatotornado
    I snatched up 4 of the Belkin brand Remix Acrylic cases, the ones that came with both a thin or thick clear back cover to accommodate the thin and thick 160gb Classics, back when they were already rare on eBay. I think I paid $75 for each O_O

2. premise
    Please forgive my lack of searching. Just wanted to know if there is a way to make my 7th Gen iPod Classic 120GB recognize my Samsung 500GB SSD for more than 127GB. I am using a Tarkan mSATA adapter, thank you.

3. mueslitoeter
    If it is a 120GB iPod, then it is a 6th Gen and you can only use 127GB with iTunes. Rockbox makes use of the whole SSD though.

4. premise
  5. turkeyphant
    How do you work that out?

6. morefilling
    I don't put cases on my modded ipods. For less than $15, I can put a new front & back on the ipod. I also prefer the smaller size.

7. potatotornado
    [​IMG]

The Belkin Remix Acrylic cases were the only ones with a clear front that also covered the clickwheel. I like having my iPods on full display inside their cases. The extra thickness is worth it imo since getting scratches on the back is a pain after paying extra to have a custom serial number engraved and waiting a month for it to ship from China. Also, I like to reassemble the clickwheel from scratch so the top is completely level with the faceplate and every aftermarket readonized faceplate has somewhat unique dimensions... it's a pain having to replace the front or clickwheel too.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. morefilling
    premise likes this.
  9. ThinWalls
    Terminology is not really defined - some call the thin 160gb a 7th gen, and the thick 160, the 80 and the 120 all '6th gen'. Others call the 120 a 7th gen and the 160gb thin a 7.5 gen. Apple have some other terminology of their own. Only the 160gb slim can do >128gb with OF.

MikeyFresh likes this.
  10. ThinWalls
    A matter of personal preference, of course. But I would find changing the front and back to be a bit of a pain, and it's not so cheap if it's a non-standard colour one or if you are stupidly fussy about having the correct number on the back (bothering about that is ridiculous I admit, but I still do so)

And to change the front and back you have to dismantle everything. and those audio and battery cables are annoyingly fragile.

11. ThinWalls
    basic arithmetic!

12. turkeyphant
    I wasn't being sarky! Just wondering how you can get it for that low a price...

13. ThinWalls
    Well, maybe closer to £240, depending how shiny and new-looking it has to be. Main point being you can now get 256gb micro sd cards for £28, so the maths follows fairly simply from that, Also requires finding someone selling an ipod with a working logic board and a faulty hard-drive (as fully-working ipods go for more and you don't need the hard-drive)

I'm just envious about the price some people are selling them at, because I just made multiple ones for myself because I'm obsessive-compulsive (each one is slightly different, you see), and found I couldn't bring myself to sell any of them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  14. iMig
    I ´ve got some of these, thin and thick, clear and pink. They look nice but IMHO, not much protective against dropping . I use silicon Marware Sport Grip cases instead.
    I have carried my 5th iPod every single day for MANY years and these cases are cheaper and way more effective. Believe me.

Not patronized by Marware :wink:

15. reptillikus
    Yeah I don't think the hard cases do a great job for fall protection, but they do keep the scratches down, and keep some dirt out.
    In my case, I want a thick case because I've got ideas for adding Bluetooth, and the thick back will make room for the card + a 1900 mAh battery.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
First

Back
656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665
667 668
Next

Last