Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #9,976 of 10,664
I snatched up 4 of the Belkin brand Remix Acrylic cases, the ones that came with both a thin or thick clear back cover to accommodate the thin and thick 160gb Classics, back when they were already rare on eBay. I think I paid $75 for each O_O

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #9,977 of 10,664
Please forgive my lack of searching. Just wanted to know if there is a way to make my 7th Gen iPod Classic 120GB recognize my Samsung 500GB SSD for more than 127GB. I am using a Tarkan mSATA adapter, thank you.

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #9,978 of 10,664
Please forgive my lack of searching. Just wanted to know if there is a way to make my 7th Gen iPod Classic 120GB recognize my Samsung 500GB SSD for more than 127GB. I am using a Tarkan mSATA adapter, thank you.

If it is a 120GB iPod, then it is a 6th Gen and you can only use 127GB with iTunes. Rockbox makes use of the whole SSD though.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #9,981 of 10,664
I snatched up 4 of the Belkin brand Remix Acrylic cases, the ones that came with both a thin or thick clear back cover to accommodate the thin and thick 160gb Classics, back when they were already rare on eBay. I think I paid $75 for each O_O

I don't put cases on my modded ipods. For less than $15, I can put a new front & back on the ipod. I also prefer the smaller size.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #9,982 of 10,664
41HZ%2BhyeghL.jpg

The Belkin Remix Acrylic cases were the only ones with a clear front that also covered the clickwheel. I like having my iPods on full display inside their cases. The extra thickness is worth it imo since getting scratches on the back is a pain after paying extra to have a custom serial number engraved and waiting a month for it to ship from China. Also, I like to reassemble the clickwheel from scratch so the top is completely level with the faceplate and every aftermarket readonized faceplate has somewhat unique dimensions... it's a pain having to replace the front or clickwheel too.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #9,984 of 10,664
Sep 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #9,985 of 10,664
I don't put cases on my modded ipods. For less than $15, I can put a new front & back on the ipod. I also prefer the smaller size.

A matter of personal preference, of course. But I would find changing the front and back to be a bit of a pain, and it's not so cheap if it's a non-standard colour one or if you are stupidly fussy about having the correct number on the back (bothering about that is ridiculous I admit, but I still do so)

And to change the front and back you have to dismantle everything. and those audio and battery cables are annoyingly fragile.

Sep 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #9,988 of 10,664
I wasn't being sarky! Just wondering how you can get it for that low a price...

Well, maybe closer to £240, depending how shiny and new-looking it has to be. Main point being you can now get 256gb micro sd cards for £28, so the maths follows fairly simply from that, Also requires finding someone selling an ipod with a working logic board and a faulty hard-drive (as fully-working ipods go for more and you don't need the hard-drive)

I'm just envious about the price some people are selling them at, because I just made multiple ones for myself because I'm obsessive-compulsive (each one is slightly different, you see), and found I couldn't bring myself to sell any of them.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #9,989 of 10,664
I ´ve got some of these, thin and thick, clear and pink. They look nice but IMHO, not much protective against dropping . I use silicon Marware Sport Grip cases instead.
I have carried my 5th iPod every single day for MANY years and these cases are cheaper and way more effective. Believe me.

Not patronized by Marware :wink:

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #9,990 of 10,664
Yeah I don't think the hard cases do a great job for fall protection, but they do keep the scratches down, and keep some dirt out.
In my case, I want a thick case because I've got ideas for adding Bluetooth, and the thick back will make room for the card + a 1900 mAh battery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back