Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 10, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #9,991 of 10,664
Yeah I don't think the hard cases do a great job for fall protection, but they do keep the scratches down, and keep some dirt out.
In my case, I want a thick case because I've got ideas for adding Bluetooth, and the thick back will make room for the card + a 1900 mAh battery.
I got a thick back in my main 5.5th, too. Room enough for its Tarkan adapter and the big 1900 mAh battery. It works light charm and the battery lasts forever after some years in use like that. The thick back doesn´t bother me either. It´s light, anyway, as I got rid of the hard drive. I carry it everywhere I go!
Regarding to the Belkin acrylic and the scratches protection, I don´t entirely agree with you. The first case like this that I had came with another iPod I bought , second hand but very much like new. The owner used it for a short time BUT he protected the iPod with that hard case (which actually he send me too) and , as a result, the front and back of the iPod had lots of minor scratches (in fact the inscription in the back had been transfered to the plastic of the case)
Regards

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #9,992 of 10,664
@iMig
A friend and I bought an ipod classic together 10 years ago, we both used it in the car; mine protected initially by a rubber silicon case and then by a case very similar to this one; the latter is beautifully sturdy and very strong but does not protect the ipod's chrome-plated bottom cover making it all opaque; instead my friend has always used a wool case (exactly wool) and in all these years of use all the ipod is simply perfect, it looks like just bought, without even a little scratch, sign or swirls).
Now that I have to switch to solid memory and have ordered both new covers I will also use a pure wool lining.

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #9,993 of 10,664
@iMig
A friend and I bought an ipod classic together 10 years ago, we both used it in the car; mine protected initially by a rubber silicon case and then by a case very similar to this one; the latter is beautifully sturdy and very strong but does not protect the ipod's chrome-plated bottom cover making it all opaque; instead my friend has always used a wool case (exactly wool) and in all these years of use all the ipod is simply perfect, it looks like just bought, without even a little scratch, sign or swirls).
Now that I have to switch to solid memory and have ordered both new covers I will also use a pure wool lining.
Wool, good to know! Link?
The silicon case I´m using is not exactly like the one you linked. It is like these:
https://www.ebay.es/itm/Marware-Spo...699303?hash=item5925689167:g:mBkAAOSwGWJcTe-3
https://www.amazon.com/Marware-Sport-Backwinder-Video-White/dp/B000EI2PWO

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #9,994 of 10,664
@iMig

sorry no link but picture he sent me today

the case and this and its ipod and this, too bad that the photos do not render well.

On the case there is written bagmovit.com another I do not know being a product purchased many many years ago.

The friend explained to me that the case is not very practical to carry it around being completely open on one side and there is the risk of it slipping out; he used it so sweetly home-car leaning in the glove compartment, but to have 9 years the case has kept the ipod really well

IMG-20190911-134619.jpg

IMG-20190911-134651.jpg

IMG-20190911-134916.jpg

IMG-20190911-134942.jpg

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #9,995 of 10,664
I thought you guys might have interest in my iPod modding attempts

I’ve done the usual stuff including 5th gen in a classic casing etc.

However as a phone repairer, I have lcd lamination gear here so thought I’d give it a go on the iPods screen.

I’ve laminated optical glue into the air gap.

The contrast, colour, brightness and dust resistance is profound. Take a look at the picture to compare. The lcds installed are the same, only the one on the left is not laminated. Both are on full brightness.

Sep 14, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #9,997 of 10,664
@iMig

sorry no link but picture he sent me today

the case and this and its ipod and this, too bad that the photos do not render well.

On the case there is written bagmovit.com another I do not know being a product purchased many many years ago.

The friend explained to me that the case is not very practical to carry it around being completely open on one side and there is the risk of it slipping out; he used it so sweetly home-car leaning in the glove compartment, but to have 9 years the case has kept the ipod really well

@Pitrus
Thank you very much !!

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #9,999 of 10,664
Any news on a clear click wheel for the iPod 5th generation?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #10,001 of 10,664
Sep 16, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #10,002 of 10,664
I thought you guys might have interest in my iPod modding attempts

I’ve done the usual stuff including 5th gen in a classic casing etc.

However as a phone repairer, I have lcd lamination gear here so thought I’d give it a go on the iPods screen.

I’ve laminated optical glue into the air gap.

The contrast, colour, brightness and dust resistance is profound. Take a look at the picture to compare. The lcds installed are the same, only the one on the left is not laminated. Both are on full brightness.

Would be interested to see this. I guess it makes sense - I suppose it reduces backscatter of the emitted screen light when it hits the inside of the casing window? I suppose if you completely filled the air-gap there'd be two fewer transitions of refractive index the light had to pass through. I guess. From what I remember of school physics!

Would it make it trickier to ever disassemble the ipod in future? Is the screen then physically stuck to the case window?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #10,004 of 10,664
Picked up a working but scratched to pieces Ipod Classic 80GB 6th gen and now have all the parts together to pretty it up and convert to SD card. I have not yet installed itunes and want to ask, whats the latest version of itunes that will allow me to restore it after conversion?

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #10,005 of 10,664
Picked up a working but scratched to pieces Ipod Classic 80GB 6th gen and now have all the parts together to pretty it up and convert to SD card. I have not yet installed itunes and want to ask, whats the latest version of itunes that will allow me to restore it after conversion?

It might depend on whether you are using a PC or a Mac. PC iTunes is, as I understand it, not much changed, and the latest version works to restore ipods. I've heard that Mac iTunes has been redesigned, so I have no idea about that.

Also with an 80gb 6th gen I assume you are aware you are limited to 128gb?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back